Is Jasper a good idea?

This winter I am planning a restoration for my MJ. I have mechanic to perform the mechanical and a body shop for the exterior. My mechanic has suggested a Jasper reman. I am willing to spring for the extra $$$ and keep the original block and head.

When I mention Jasper to other mechanics, I get a roll of the eyes and some uncomplimentary comments about Jasper. An internet search has yielded some negative comments, also. Many of the comments are the same: engines failing quickly and Jasper not honoring their guarantee. I didn't see any of the comments about the Jeep 4.0, mostly GM engines.

Who has experience with Jasper, either for your MJ or any other vehicle? I would like to ready all comments, both good and bad.

Are there other companies that you would recommend?

For the trans (BA10/5), I will swap it through Glen Burnie Trans here in MD.

Tim

Not sure how much the jasoer engines run but another more logical option is Titan stroker engines. If I was dropping the money to completely restore an mj through a mechanic and body shop then I'd upgrade when and where I could such as a stroker and upgraded trans as well because the ba 10 is regarded as a bad choice and very weak.

This winter I am planning a restoration for my MJ. I have mechanic to perform the mechanical and a body shop for the exterior. My mechanic has suggested a Jasper reman. I am willing to spring for the extra $$$ and keep the original block and head.

When I mention Jasper to other mechanics, I get a roll of the eyes and some uncomplimentary comments about Jasper. An internet search has yielded some negative comments, also. Many of the comments are the same: engines failing quickly and Jasper not honoring their guarantee. I didn't see any of the comments about the Jeep 4.0, mostly GM engines.

Who has experience with Jasper, either for your MJ or any other vehicle? I would like to ready all comments, both good and bad.

Are there other companies that you would recommend?

For the trans (BA10/5), I will swap it through Glen Burnie Trans here in MD.

Tim

If any of your mechanics are worth their salt you would be getting barf at any mention of Titan. There are many threads on Naxja and other places about their horror shows. Jasper used to have a stellar reputation, but I am not sure about today. Have you tried ATK replacement engines? Jeep now sells their stroker complete with a warranty.

You want solid advice?

Find a good machine shop in your area....a competent one that you are comfortable with. Have your engine rebuilt.

Will you save money buying crate? Probably not by the time you pay shipping and core and core shipping return.....then try to get warranty honored..........

Is your mechanic capable? competent?

The only crate I'd buy is a factory crate.....assuming you are talking replacement and not specialty.

This way you know the parts inside and what's been done to it.

It also gives you a good week++ to clean up the engine bay and do other work that you'd likely not do if you swap only.

I'm not sure about Jaspers current reputation, but the previous owner of my MJ put in a Jasper at 140,000 miles. The truck is currently at 351,000 miles. Thats 210,000 miles on a rebulit engine and its still running great. If you don't feel right with Jasper, then as was previously stated, my next best choice would be factory crate, or a local rebuild of what you already have by a longstanding shop with a good reputation for standing behind their work. Good luck, and start us a build thread!

I'm not sure about Jaspers current reputation, but the previous owner of my MJ put in a Jasper at 140,000 miles. The truck is currently at 351,000 miles. Thats 210,000 miles on a rebulit engine and its still running great. If you don't feel right with Jasper, then as was previously stated, my next best choice would be factory crate, or a local rebuild of what you already have by a longstanding shop with a good reputation for standing behind their work. Good luck, and start us a build thread!

I have no experience with Jasper. It is just that when I mention Jasper to some people I get negative comments. Two mechanics I spoke to recommended Jasper compared with an on-site rebuild. Jasper does have a nationwide warrantee.

Before I commit to it, I want to know others' opinions. So far, no one has bashed Jasper.

Your experience with 210k on a Jasper is positive.

My MJ has only 266k.

Tim

I have no experience with Jasper. It is just that when I mention Jasper to some people I get negative comments. Two mechanics I spoke to recommended Jasper compared with an on-site rebuild. Jasper does have a nationwide warrantee.

Before I commit to it, I want to know others' opinions. So far, no one has bashed Jasper.

My MJ has only 266k.

Two mechanics recommended buy it instead of rebuild it? What's wrong with mechanics these days! :nuts:

If your block and head are in good condition any reputable machine shop can ridge ream and hone the cylinder walls, line hone the cam and install new bearings, give the head a valve job and you're off. I would try to go to a machine shop instead of a mechanic shop because they might not do that stuff.

My MJ has only 266k.

Two mechanics recommended buy it instead of rebuild it? What's wrong with mechanics these days! :nuts:

If your block and head are in good condition any reputable machine shop can ridge ream and hone the cylinder walls, line hone the cam and install new bearings, give the head a valve job and you're off. I would try to go to a machine shop instead of a mechanic shop because they might not do that stuff.

They arent mechanics any more. They are chimps trained in schools to change parts. Those of us who actually know how to fix old cars, don't work as "mechanics".

i won't even accept that title. Makes me feel like i should be in a cage at the zoo changing alternators and doing oil changes.

This thread interests me as i may just have to pick up here where i have picked up in many other forums.

I build engines for a living, for all makes and models.

I have a perfect rep for some of the most well built and reliable engines out there.

Just amazes me that there are so few people not only willing to rebuild an engine, but willing to put love into the build like it is their own.

thats what makes a solid engine. Job done 110% the first time. No corners cut, just like the factory did it. Thats the only way you can expect at LEAST factory output and longevity.

Thanks for the comments. I am looking for feed back.

It is true, most mechanics only change parts, not "repair" autos. Most auto repair shops deal in volumn. They cannot take hours/days of a mechanics time to work on one truck, when there is more $$$ to be made changing oil, replacing plugs, etc. With most of the things we use today it is easier to replace than repair. When was the last time you got your TV repaired or a printer? We have become a replacement society, not fix-it society. When I tell people my plans for the MJ, they ask why don't I buy a new truck. I tell them: "I love THIS truck."

I did not think to look for a local "machine shop." But, isn't Jasper an instrustialized machine shop? The do one thing - rebuildiing auto parts. I want to keep the original engine block and head. That has the same benefit as machine shop, doesn't it? I was told that my engine will be separated from the production line. That reusable original parts will be repaired/cleaned up and put back on.

Someone replied about "upgrading." I don't want to upgrade. I want to "restore" to original condition. That may seem anil, but I come by it naturally. I am a CPA.

Keep the feed back coming.

Just did a little search in your area, as though i lived there.

Here are the places i would take my engine to...

http://gunthersmachine.com/

http://www.automachineshop.net/

http://www.ellisonsmachineshop.com/contact.html

Thanks mountainman. Two of them are rock throwing distance from me, the last is 50 miles away. I'll stop by and talk with them.

PS - LOVE the avitar.

Usually when places like Jasper sell a rebuilt motor they take your long block and give you one already finished. Meaning you get someone else's long block or combination of a good head and block. I had only two experiences with Jasper. One with a trans and one engine. The engine was delivered and I installed it and sent the long block back for a core. We got a credit for the core but who knows what engine we got. If you want to keep YOUR engine take it to a local machine shop and write down the numbers on the parts and take pictures so you get back what you gave them.

I have heard a TON of stories about people taking their engine into a shop and they get the same story. After magnafluxing the block it's cracked and junk. So they sell you one of their blocks because they already have ALL of your parts so you are at their mercy. Just thought I'd pass along some info before you get taken like the rest. If you meet the actual person doing the machine work they should be confident and happy to work on your baby.