Pending deal! important

guy said he would give me the t-case thats attached to it 8) , I talked with they guy for quite a while and he said he thinks he has everything i would need. The only problem we could forsee were driveshaft lengths, the transmission was pulled out of a cherokee, I (obviously) have a comanche, short bed to be exact.

Will i have to get different driveshafts? IIRC aw4 shafts are. . . shorter? :dunno:

Don't know about length, but you will have to swap the mechanical speedo pickup over to the new transfer case as it will be electronic.

You will also need a flex plate for the torque converter to bolt to, and I do not believe the flex plates are interchangeable between Renix and Chrysler.

Plus TCU, TCU harness and transmission harness.

Don't know about length, but you will have to swap the mechanical speedo pickup over to the new transfer case as it will be electronic.

You will also need a flex plate for the torque converter to bolt to, and I do not believe the flex plates are interchangeable between Renix and Chrysler.

Plus TCU, TCU harness and transmission harness.

Thats a Check on everything except the speedo, if it is electronic how am i supposed to make it work with the rest of my cluster?? seeing how it is the old renix style :???:

I will need his TB also, TPS and all that :fs2: from what i understand the wires that go from the throttle body to the tcu are a straight shot, meaning they may be woven into the harness, but they don't split off and go to other places. right or wrong?

also something i didnt think of until now, will his T-case operate like mine? or will it be different,

mine: 2hi (straight up) 4hi (over right) N (up again) 4lo

not sure what style its called, trackloc?

how can i tell if his will have that 4hi 'part time' 4hi 'full time' setting? what would it take to make it work?

The back of the transfer case has a tag with among other things the model number. The 231 (Command Trac) has 2 high, 4 high, neutral and 4 low. The 242 (Selec Trac) has 2 high, 4 high, 4 full time (which is basically AWD), neutral and 4 low. If you don't care about the dash lights, the only other thing needed to make a 242 transfer case work is the shift gate, and lock the CAD on your front axle in (there are write ups elsewhere on this site on how do to that).

The speedo pickup can simply be swapped from your old to the new transfer case. Before you take it off the old one, note the orientation, and put it on the new one the exact same way to make sure the plastic gear meshes correctly with the output shaft. If you forgot, or the new transfer case is the 242, look at the numbers cast into the case around the hole to figure out how it goes. The numbers note the different positions for different number of teeth on the speedometer gears.

Also, you may have to lock the central axle disconnect regardless, because thew new transfer case might not have the vacuum controls to lock/unlock it. This is not a big deal, though.

If he gets the transmission with the transfer case attached that won't matter anyway.

And there are more differences than 21/23 spline, like 3 different length input shafts depending on what they sat behind.

thanks guys, so as of now it sounds like the swap will be "doable" as long as i get the needed items.

Confusion

1. I thought the transmission wiring harness was separate from the engine bay harness, run together but not connected, straight from TB to TCU, no offshoots, which would mean that I would not need to replace my entire wiring harness :ack:

2. CAD was bypassed a LOONG time ago, so thats a checkerooO

3. 242 or 231? can i make my 231 work? would i want to?

The speedo pickup can simply be swapped from your old to the new transfer case. Before you take it off the old one, note the orientation, and put it on the new one the exact same way to make sure the plastic gear meshes correctly with the output shaft. If you forgot, or the new transfer case is the 242, look at the numbers cast into the case around the hole to figure out how it goes. The numbers note the different positions for different number of teeth on the speedometer gears.

Does this mean neither speedos are electronic?? If it is electronic how do i go about swapping that style?? Keep in mind mine is the old Renix, mechanical.

The 91 is electronic, yours is mechanical. But they use the same gear on the end, just an electronic pickup on top of it instead of a square hole for your cable. The way they go into the transfer case and fasten is also the same. Difficult to explain, easy to see when you have the two side by side.

The gears can have a different number of teeth depending on axle ratio and stock tire size. Gears with a smaller number of teeth will be smaller and thus need to sit closer to the output shaft. This is done by mounting it off center in a round plate that can be clocked to the correct position for the plastic gear to mesh the output shaft correctly. The different positions for different sized gears are stamped in the transfer case.

Good to know about the speedo, but i have ran into another problem that i don't see a way out of.

My 90 has a knock sensor, from what i have been told the 91 does NOT, doesnt it even have an O2? Soo if i have to swap out the ENTIRE engine harness what am i supposed to do about this :( ?

What about the rest of the sensors, plugs, and missalineous dodas?

My 90 has a knock sensor, from what i have been told the 91 does NOT, doesnt it even have an O2?

91 has no knock sensor, does have a 4-wire O2 (sensor).

What about the rest of the sensors, plugs, and missalineous dodas?

missalineous dodas?

ya sorry that was kinda vague :dunce: , I guess i ment all the rest of the engine bay harness, temp sensors (mine has 3), map, CPS, fuel pump balast relay, stuff like that. Will the rest of it be "plug and play?

and sense you reinforced what i already suspected, that the 91 does NOT have a knock sensor what am i supposed to do??? My engine relies on a knock sensor, even more so when it becomes a new born stroker in about a week jamminz.gif .

If I go with this aw4 am i just supposed to turn a blind eye and have no knock sensor?

IMHO that doesnt sound to good. :no:

Knock sensor is on the engine block, O2 sensor is on the exhaust. Neither have anything to do with the transmission or transfer case.
Yeeesss i know that, but if you read above one of the guys said that i will have to swap the entire engine bay harness from 90 to 91

91s don't have a knock sensor, my 90 does, the only thing i can think of is that the plug for the knock sensor is still there its just not used on 91s and later, if thats the case then all this :wall: was over nothing.