What Tubing Bender to Purchase??

89MJComanche

I want to purchase a tubing bender, but I don't know why kind to get?

I want something to bend tubing to build bumpers, cages, and to build MJ tube beds.

I also need to purchase a notching tool used to align piece of tubing for welding.

I am also going to purchase a hotter 220 welder soon.

Anyone have suggestions.

I think the most common one, at least in my parts, is the JD2 Bender.. Its a little bit pricey but does a very good job from what I've seen... The dies are just as pricey as the bender, so make sure you get a size that will work for everything you think you'll be building.. I think the common is 1-3/4"..

HTH

Ryan

The JD2 is probably the most common bender because of its price. Like any bender (other than pipe benders) the dies will be expensive. I think the JD2 dies are more than the bender... It is a fully manual bender - so I hope you're patient and have strong arms.

Theres a homebuilt bender on pirate. It uses the same dies as the JD2 - but is a lot nicer because it is hydraulic (jack style - but you canb make it hook up to a power pack if you want to spend money). The plans cost $20 or something.

A lot of the guys I know use chop saws for notching. It works pretty well actually. But, there's notchers that hook up to a drill that can be had for about $80. The only problem is some of them use a funny thread for the hole saw - so you have to buy THEIR hole saws. Which gets expensive.

measure each end 3/8 of an inch longer and use an angle grinder to notch it out. doesnt take as long as you think.

2192007105133AM84641.jpg

2192007105057AM32541.jpg

i built those w/ a reg. bender from northern tool. the 2nd was made by cutting the angels and butt welding the tubing cuz of the steep angle. its all 1"1/2" schedule 40 tube.just filled the pipe w/ sand from homedepot. capped the ends w/ duct tape.

pipe is measured by the ID inner diameter , tube is measured by the OD outer diameter .pipe isnt made with the best metal because its not considered to be structural it tends to be a little on the brittle side thats why we have tubing. just don't want anybody to get cornfused here. 8)

jbhill here is a tube miter program that will help with the notches

You can input sizes of two round tubes that you wish to join together by notching one of them, the programme will then allow you to print a paper template which can be wrapped around the tube as a guide to cut the right shape.

89MJComanche, the JD2 is about the best bang for your buck. It is what most people who build motorcycle frames use. But if you only plan on using it for a few jobs on your own rig then maybe have a look at THIS or for a functional bender on the C.H.E.A.P this guy is a very ingenious frame builder and can produce clean bends with THIS. Don't get me wrong he doesn't use it for his frames, it was an example of a cheep one use bender to help out thoes of us in the chopper scene that just want to build one frame.

pipe is measured by the ID inner diameter , tube is measured by the OD outer diameter .pipe isnt made with the best metal because its not considered to be structural it tends to be a little on the brittle side thats why we have tubing. just don't want anybody to get cornfused here. 8)

Yeah, other than you're at least partially wrong.

Pipe is measured by the ID - sorta. It's based on a system that has been around for 90 years or something, and they varied the wall size over time as metalgury improved - resulting in an ID being close to the said size of the pipe. That is, providing you're talking about steel pipe. Brass, aluminum, plastics, etc are all different.

And as to of pipe NOT being a structural steel - you're again at least partially wrong. There's many different types of steel pipe; most are rated on all the same points as the more commonly accepted (by the 4x4ing comunity) tubing. Probably the most common steel pipe you will see is ASTM A53 'A' or 'B' pipe - which is rated as being about 80% as strong as HREW tubing on every point. (The B type is stronger than the A) THIS PIPE IS USED IN STRUCTURAL APPLICATIONS EVERY DAY. Think buildings.

I'm not advocating the use of pipe (that's up to you) but I don't like to see the standard "pipe is for poop" or "it's not structural" BS spewed all the time.

Thanks fer corecting me on that D C , just didnt want anybody confusn pipe wit tubing . as far as pipe being structural goes ur right there r many different typs but i was refering to the standard black pipe / plumbers pipe sch 40 sch 80 wich is ment to route water etc.. not protect u from teraferma , not to say it couldnt thought.

and i never said "pipe is for poop" .

• 3 weeks later...