Suggestions for taking a 2WD offroad

Hey guys, I'm planning on taking my 88 4.0 2WD offroad this weekend, and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions of things that I can do to prepare it? Grease or clean anything? It hasn't been offroad in a very long time, and I'm just planning on doing very basic stuff. It's stock height, and obviously having 2WD is kind of a bust. I'd appreciate any suggestions though! Thanks! :cheers: :Canadaflag:

Which means proper recovery points front and rear and a good quality recovery strap with loops at the end, not steel hooks. Not a tow strap. They may look the same, but they are not. DEFINITELY NOT A CHAIN!!!

Also bring common sense equipment: full size spare, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, basic tools.

:agree: Know your limitations BEFORE you start and don't get carried away. A 2WD can probably go 90% of the places a 4WD can with proper tires and driver know how.(Waiting to see how many arguments I get on that) A bumper to bumper inspection and maintenance before leaving the yard.

"4WD. A substitute for poor driver skills and equipment." My uncle told me that back in 1947 and I still remember it. If I don't get half of the responses I expect from those two remarks I will be greatly surprised. comanche.gif

:idea: Get yourself a " Trax-mat " bed bladder , they are baffled so water doesn't slosh . Adds up to 300# right where you need it for extra traction . When your done off-roading ,just pull the plug . I leave mine in year-round as the mat is durable enough to throw anything on it without damaging it . :thumbsup:

Heck, the only reason I use 4wd is for low range. Much less wear and tear on the clutch.

Depending on your rear tires, I would recommend airing them down to 10-15psi. If you have never done it, you will shocked at the added traction.

They key to successful wheeling is grease it AFTER really well. Helps push to dirt, grime and moisture out.

:agree: Know your limitations BEFORE you start and don't get carried away. A 2WD can probably go 90% of the places a 4WD can with proper tires and driver know how.(Waiting to see how many arguments I get on that) A bumper to bumper inspection and maintenance before leaving the yard.

"4WD. A substitute for poor driver skills and equipment." My uncle told me that back in 1947 and I still remember it. If I don't get half of the responses I expect from those two remarks I will be greatly surprised. comanche.gif

yeahthat.gif :agree:

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I will have another Jeep with me, that has a winch and tow points, so I'm set in that regard, but my Jeep does not have any tow points that I can see. Are there any other options if I were to get stuck? I do not have a welder, nor do I have welding experience so I would not be able to do it on my own. I leave on Saturday morning, so I have about a day and a half, and very limited funds until tomorrow haha. Any thoughts guys? Thanks! :cheers: :Canadaflag:

The offroading that I will be doing will be VERY basic haha. I can promise you that. I now have 1 day until I leave on this excursion, and I was unable to tackle the tow point dilemma. I don't plan on getting stuck, but I guess that's not always something you plan on. If I were to get stuck without tow points, is there anywhere on my truck that I could safely hookup to?

Bring a good length chain with hooks and if ya have to pull it out, don't hook it to anything that will rip off easily.

BAD idea. If something comes loose you will have 50 pounds of steel flying through the air with enough force to go through sheet metal or a radiator. And that's assuming it doesn't go through the window and take your head off.

Recovery strap with loops on both ends.

Bring a good length chain with hooks and if ya have to pull it out, don't hook it to anything that will rip off easily.

BAD idea. If something comes loose you will have 50 pounds of steel flying through the air with enough force to go through sheet metal or a radiator. And that's assuming it doesn't go through the window and take your head off.

Recovery strap with loops on both ends.

The only way a chain will snap loose with that much force is if your hammerin on it! If ya don't jerk it like a fool there's no reason these little trucks will snap a good chain as long as you use your head and do it right. Especially since hes only got 2wd. its not like hes gonna bury it up to the doors anyway.

I'm not talking about the chain breaking. I'm talking about what it's hooked to ripping, or the chain coming loose. And MJ frame is just a few layers of sheet metal stacked on top of each other.

Yeah I know what ya mean but hes only got 2wd. There is no way he will be in anything that would require that much towing force. I've drivin semi's for 5 yrs hauling anything from standard freight to heavy haul/oversized loads and there's a reason we used chains and not straps whenever possible....

my 87 2.5L had a lsd in it,

that thing went any where i took it,

and i live in the mountains so trails are easy to find,

i ran 30" tires, truck sagged lots so it was low C of G

just have a buddy with ya to tug you out,

should be fine :thumbsup:

i brought pallets for obstacles i couldnt get over,

only used them once

Can't beat a come-a-long. Requires a little sweat and a place to anchor the cable but they work. A Hi-Lift jack is also great on a stuck Jeep. They can also maim or kill so be careful. The local P&P won't even let one in the yard. I have a chain attachment on mine so it won't slip off the bumper.