91 Comanche long bed, metric ton

Got my Comanche 6 years ago to haul stuf to the dump and general utility tasks. Also used it to haul a camping trailer. A couple of years ago it was totaled while parked on the side of the road. I paid to have it fixed and painted back to new condition. Recently the truck was stolen, then recoverd in Tijuana, Baja California. Much of the electrical harness have been cut, minor body damage and unknowen other damage. As of now, the MJ is sitting at an Electric shop in TJ while I search for a fresh wiring harness. Labor in TJ is much less than in San Diego.

Want to get your opinions on just towing the truck home and doing an engine conversion at the same time I fix the wiring harness.

My thoughts for a power train conversion center around replacing the AW4 automatic transmission with a modern 6 speed automatic.

Given the cooling issues even going to a 4.7 stroker, what are your thoughts for replacement engine and transmission.

My first thought was a 4.8 liter aluminum Chevy V8 with a 6 speed automatic.

Second choice or thought was to look for a 4.7 ltr Toyota and 6 speed automatic.

There are other choices available, so please give me your input.

I would like to hear your input.

Thanks,

Sounds like a good time to swap if youre going to, but consider that most modern V powerplants are overhead cam and are really just too large physically to fint in the engine bay. I think the 4.8 GM is not overhead if I remember correctly and may be the easiest swap as there are conversion harnesses available for that family of engines into all kinds of vehicles. I'm not sure about the Toyota, but I know the Chrysler 4.7 is overhead and just too wide to fit. Just something to think about. Keep it alive any way you can, and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks,

A Comanche is a Jeep.

The Jeep 4.0L engine and the AW4 automatic transmission are about the most bullet-proof drive train on the planet.

Why are you considering anything else?

v8s are notoriously difficult to keep cool in MJ/XJs. we have a relatively small radiator size. It's not a deal killer in and of itself (v8 swaps have been done), but something to keep in mind while you're planning. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

A Comanche is a Jeep.

The Jeep 4.0L engine and the AW4 automatic transmission are about the most bullet-proof drive train on the planet.

Why are you considering anything else?

Labor is less in Tj because they couldnt fix a sandwich if they wanted to.

Knowing how bad @$$ our 4.0 already is... id just put one of them in there.

Already made for it, making it easier to put in and wire up. icon_shrug.gif

:agree:

I'd go wth a 4.0/AW4 since you want an auto. Personally my number on choice since a 4.0 is cheap to get anywhere, plenty of aftermarket for em, and parts are reletavely cheap as well. Personally, the only reason I havent put one in mine is because mine is an '86 and the different firewall won't let me. But I think its your best bet, because the 4.0 is the perfect balance of horsepower, torque, and effeciency.

If your stuck on putting a V8 in it, the 5.3 LS GM motors are quite common.

Go to Novak-Adapt.com and do some research there.

They have all the XJ/MJ specific parts that you would need to install it.

You can pick up the 5.3's for under a grand.

I believe you can come pretty close to getting an LS into an MJ for not much or any more than

stroking a 4.0. 5.3 LS's start at 300 or so HP and go up from there if you want to put a 5.7 or 6.0 LS in it.

That's what I'd like to do with my 89 long bed. LQ9 with an AX15 and a NP242.

With 3.55 or 4.10 gears and posi's front and rear and 31's it would really move out.

• 3 months later...

Time for an update. The truck is running fine and back in San Diego. All the electrial work was done very well in Tijuana. While the truck was in and out of the shop, I manged to gather a few "extra items" for a couple of upgrades.

First upgrade was to install a power mirror switch from an Isuzu Rodeo so I could adjust the 97+ power mirrors. Installed it in the left most rocker switch polition. Shop did a nice job on the switch install and fabricating a harness to the Jeep power mirrors. Second upgrade was to install the mirror with two switched map lights from a late 80's GMC. Now it works very well. Third upgrade I did not know about. Last night was the first night time drive since I got the truck back. I went to the store, turned off my lights, but the headlights stayed on. I checked to be sure I turned the lights off, but the headlights were still on with the switch off. Then after about 15 seconds the headlights went off. Same thing happened when I went home. Well, I now have a timer that keeps the headlights on for 15 seconds after I turn the lights out - just like on the 2003 Camry.

Saturday I got a set of aluminum wheels and put 4 new 225/75 x 15 tires on the truck yesterday. Still have to install the New b-pillar lights, a radio and upgrade the instrument cluster. But the truck is looking good.