Truck shifts when I steer

Aside from the fact that I have nearly 1/8th of turn of the wheel before I get response from the tires. I noticed that when I turn the wheel, before the tires turn, the truck itself shifts the opposite direction.

Clearly some steering component, what is typically replaced/worn out soonest?

Track bar? Now there's a part I've somehow never heard of. Or is that same thing as a sway/stabilizer bar?

What is the hydraulic piston thing for? I've never seen something like that on a vehicle.

Should. It would probably be in better condition than yours, but you should replace it with a new one down the road.

You might also want to look into adjustables that can be set at the stock length... that way, you'd have a replaceable TRE, and you wouldn't have to replace the whole bar if it wears out.

When you pull yours off, also carefully inspect the mounting flange on the axle itself. The hole may have begun to elongate.

Alrighty then, I'll get on fixing that track bar.

I noted too that much of the free play in the wheel, doesn't move the steering components at all. I tried tightening the steering gear box some but it bottomed out with no change so I backed it off some. Would a new gear box solve this? The mechanic says the steering components aren't worn out much at all.

Also I should note that my left tire rubs when turned completely left

Alrighty then, I'll get on fixing that track bar.

I noted too that much of the free play in the wheel, doesn't move the steering components at all. I tried tightening the steering gear box some but it bottomed out with no change so I backed it off some. Would a new gear box solve this? The mechanic says the steering components aren't worn out much at all.

Also I should note that my left tire rubs when turned completely left

Sounds like that's all being caused by the track bar. Leave the steering alone until you get a good track bar in there.

A bad track bar could cause all kinds of problems including death if you keep driving your truck. Its pretty obvious that this is your first priority. Fix it and then you can address any other issues you may have. Its hard to diagnose multiple issues if you haven't fixed the components your know are bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The truck's side to side play hasn't gotten any better. Even with the new track bar, there is movement between the frame mount and the actual track bar. Is there supposed to be that play in the pivot?

Not supposed to be any play. The most common track bar problem is the hole in the frame bracket being wallowed out. New track bar will not fix this. New bracket will.

Problem is, I don't know if the bracket is available outside of a junk yard, and getting one from a junk yard may not be any better than what you have now.

I'm willing to bet the problem is the hole in the frame side bracket being wallowed out and nothing's wrong with your new track bar. Despite what it looks like to the naked eye.

The pin in the tie rod end of the track bar is supposed to be able to pivot. If it slides sideways, though, causing the track bar to shift it would be about to come apart and fall off.