Tankertom's 89 Comanche

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BalterBuilt called me today and said the Comanche is about all wrapped up. Should have it back in a couple days.

Said he drove it over some big 3 foot tall speed bumps at 40 MPH and couldn't even feel it, just floated over them.

Here are some pics. Can't wait to swap those 33s for 35 inch MTRs! Tires should come in sometime next week.

I'll post a bunch more pics once I get it back and have the 35s on it.

New flowmaster exhaust installed today. Tried running it with no exhaust but it was stupid loud.

Turns out 35" Goodyear MTRs are on order until late November. So I changed my order and settled for a set of 35" Cooper STTs. Not what I really wanted but the price was good and they will be on my rig tomorrow.

you will like the coopers better.

They are on my MJ now. Haven't taken pics yet, but will soon. Haven't wheeled them yet, so I can't comment on their performance. I can say that I parked my MJ with 35" STTs next to my JK with 35" MTRs and the STTs look way more bad @$$, and opposite of what I read on the Internet the STTs are the exact same height as the MTRs (lots of reviews say they run an inch short). So far I am happy with them, but will have a better review after I beat on them a bit.

The fun was short lived. The driver side of the front upper link bridge ripped off. Seems as though some gussetting is in order.

You're biggest issue is lack of penetration.  There was almost no weld holding that on.

Is your cross member for the rear lower control arms only welded to the bottom of the uniframe?

Willy

Yes, everything is still going to be gusseted and fully welded. It was done that way so that I could take it out and do some light wheeling and insure everything worked/didn't hit anything...that way if something needed to be moved it would be easier. Obviously we thought it would hold up a bit better than that for one little trip out. Won't happen again!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stock cherokee front coils. Just a heads up, they are a bit on the soft side.

If you want to stay at around the same height and be able to carry more weight, look into the OME heavy duty set. I threw some on my ZJ and gained about an inch. They have a ton of droop and ride well.

Killer rig, by the way! How does the 4 link work on the street?

The 4 link works decent on the street. It has a lot of body roll on corners but other than that it does good. It's mostly a trail rig nowadays, it's only street time is going to and from where I wheel.

Thanks for the compliments. I will look into ZJ coils, I wouldn't mind having the rear a little stiffer.

• 3 months later...

Took the comanche out on my birthday for a wheeling session. She did pretty damn good.

Ended up stripping a nut on a tie rod and tearing a hole in the sidewall of a tire, but she drove home

Need to start on the WJ knuckle swap with RuffStuff crossover steering...the stock steering is my weakest link at the moment.

Snapped a couple pics...should have taken more but I was having too much fun and forgot.

Yup, still running the Dana 30. It's a HP 30, RuffStuff diff cover, 4.88 gears, lunch box locker, Artec truss, RCV axles, Artec C gussets. I have spent too much money on my little axle to get rid of it. I flogged it pretty good on the last outing without axle problems.

• 1 month later...

OK thanks for the info. I'm on the fence about investing in mine to run 35's. I will only wheel a few times a year but regardless I wana go out n have fun n not be that guy that busts every time out

• 4 months later...