Tankertom's 89 Comanche

Got the front end all wrapped up. Made a few changes from the parts list listed above. Swapped in the WJ knuckles, with the brakes and all that. Sent the TREs back and decided to go with 7/8 hiems. RuffStuff crossover steering and track bar turned out great. While poking around it was found that my steering box was leaking pretty bad, so I ordered a new one. When the new box came in my buddy Rob decided he might as well tap the box and throw a ram on the front for hydro assist!

Also changed the rear up a bit. Moved the rear coils out further on the rear axle to help with body roll.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been bothered for not having fender flares. Bumper came out of Santa Rosa, CA. And everybody knows that tankers lead the way! Lol

Haha! Tankers support the infantry along with everyone else and I certainly hope any Rangers don't see that! Nice Comanche!

• 2 weeks later...

Few pics from today's trip up the mountain. First trip in a long time that I didn't break anything! New steering and hydro assist are beyond awesome. Found out why my rig has been sputtering on hill climbs, need to flip fuel cell around so the sump is facing the rear of the vehicle.

Not really an issue as long as you keep a decent filled tank but I went sump free and tapped the bottom middle of the tank for the feed line. I haven't had an issue since. Several friends had the sump issue even with it facing backwards. It just means going down it'll sputter but gravity should help out unless it's a tricky downhill maneuver

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Knocked out a few small things on the Comanche today.

Installed new battery terminals (old ones were cracked) and a battery disconnect switch.

Threw a new rear view mirror up. Nice to have one again.

Installed a set of the newer style Cherokee windshield wiper arms with a new set of blades. Big improvement over stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a new power steering pump and lines. Old pump was shot. Thing drives like a dream now. Can finally feel the full benefit of the hydraulic assist steering.

Moved the fuel cell to under the bed cage. Will be better protected and moved it to the side so it will hopefully help with incline sputtering due to lack of fuel.

Took it out for a cruise around town. She is running good. Cruised on the highway at 65 mph. I think she is ready for my King of the Hammers trip at the end of the month.

Here she sits in the driveway next to my wife's Renegade.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from King of the hammers 2016. It was my first year going and it was awesome! All the rigs to look at, the vendors, the wheeling, the races....it all makes for an epic week.

Checking out the area in the MJ

The RuffStuff guys checked out my rig as I was driving around hammertown.

Got a bit carried away and decided to take the MJ up Chocolate Thunder (trail) in the middle of the night.

Guy in the Toyota decided to break with me, lol.

Ended up snapping a rear shaft.

The guys at the RuffStuff booth made me a quick tool to pull the twisted spline end of the shaft out of the housing. Thanks guys!

I ordered a set of replacement shafts from 4 wheel parts in the vendor area of hammertown. Was supposed to get them delivered the next day, but they lost my order and then said they didn't have anymore in stock??? Never found another shaft, so the Comanche was done for the rest of the trip.

I had a blast! Now I have to decide on spending money on rear chromollys or start researching about making the jump to larger axles.....it never ends.

Just because you broke a part once in an extreme situation doesn't necessarily mean you have to upgrade. How many times have you broken the axle shaft?  If you had an unbreakable axle where is the next weak point? T-case? I'd rather keep an axle shaft as a weak point, carry an extra, and go wheeling. In my rig the weak points are the front axle u joints. Easy to swap, cheap to have extras with, I'm good with that. Mind you the real issue is they wear out prematurely, if I don't catch that in time they break doing hard/stupid stuff. So, it's not like they fail that often in the first place.

Looks like a good time, wish my wife would find a job again so I could afford to at least think about making some trips like this.

I totally agree with you Doc. I know I don't need to upgrade, it's just the more I go to these events the more I wanna keep up with the bigger guys. I'm just kicking around some ideas is all.

I will more than likely throw a new shaft in the rear and call it good for now. Don't really have the money to be redoing axles at the moment.

I highly recommend anybody that can goes to KOH. Also wanted to give a public thank you to the owner of Redneck Ram. He pulled me out after I broke the shaft. He even offered to weld it back together before we discovered all the bearings and crap had broke. Really good dude!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to installing the Superior chromo shafts in my rear 44. Found out the shafts were originally for a TJ so the retaining plates had to be swapped out. Picked up some XJ retaining plates and cut them so I could install them without having to remove the bearings. Put some new fluid in the rear diff. Everything worked out good and it feels nice to have the Comanche on the road again.

Picked up some 97+ mirrors to replace my stockers. Got tired of the mounting bracket always breaking on the stock mirrors. Had to pick up some new bolts also, for some reason my factory mirror bolts did not work with the 97+ mirrors.

All mounted up. Look better and work better.

Took a moment to take a couple overall photos.

• 4 months later...

I'm planning a trip to the Rubicon Trail in a week, so I figured I better get the Comanche in tip top shape. Did a long over due tune up. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. Swapped out the CPS for a new one (had some occasional power loss and believed CPS was the culprit). Picked up some new Volvo 746 fuel injectors from ProgramBo on Cherokee forum and installed them. Also ordered up a CO2 on board air kit from Instant Air Supply and mounted the tank in the bed. Today was a good day for the MJ!

Tune up parts and a new CPS

Volvo 746 injectors

All put back together and ready to roll!

The mounts for the CO2 tank in the bed.

So nice to finally have on board air

My bed is all set up. CO2 tank, fuel cell, spare tire, and a 20mm ammo can fuel of spare fluids.

One last update before the Rubicon. When I was tuning up the MJ I noticed the coil was rusty and cracked in some spots. Bought a new coil and replaced the old one, MJ starts quicker now. My buddy convinced me I needed a CB for the Rubicon so we could talk car to car. He gave me a Firestik antenna for free and I bought a Cobra 75 WX ST and hooked it all up. Also picked up a fire extinguisher and a Rugged Ridge mount and mounted it to the roll cage in the bed.

I'll be sure to post plenty of pics when I get back from the Rubicon!

Old coil VS new coil

New CB and antenna cable

Firestik antenna mounted

I love how the entire CB is all in the microphone, saves lots of room.

Can't be too safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys I have some bad news. After the Rubicon trip I told my wife how much fun it was. She said it sounded like such a good time she wished she and my son could go with me. I started thinking about it, and I sadly came to the conclusion that I needed a four door wheeler. So I put the MJ on Craigslist.

I ended up doing a straight trade (no money) for a 93 Toyota 4Runner.

93 4Runner, 4.3 Vortec motor, 4L60E tranny with shift kit, SAS in front, chromos front and rear, 5.29s front and rear, ARBs front and rear, hi steer, OME front leafs, chevy 63 rear leafs, on board air with tank, 37 inch tires, etc....

I told the new owner about the forum so I hope he joins. Thanks for all the help and advice along the way CC!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro