RockMJ's 88' Resto-Mod Build Journal

When I scrolled down, I expected your GTI to be orange.  I've never owned a GTI, but I always kinda liked them.  I may have bought one if I wasn't so tired of FWD.  It sounds like you have big plans for the next MJ.  Care to elaborate?

Hey man! I was just looking at your continued build last night! And they did make the GTI in orange but ive got a soft spot for the white ones lol. It is a great car and I absolutely love driving it and that turbo spooling sound is heavenly. Plans for the next MJ are a complete "frame-off" restoration so to say. Completely stripping the Jeep down to nothing, rebuilding the engine, transmission, etc. Going to keep this one with the old school feel to it as a revived classic. And no, I will not be painting this one orange lol!

RockMJ

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure! I did pick up a 1990 2WD, AW4 Eliminator for next to nothing. Its a one owner Jeep that has lived its entire life in FL. Its got a few issues, mainly the trans got wet and is not shifting (electrical bug someplace) and a few dents. The Jeep has a dealer installed moonroof which needs a gasket (anyone know where to get this), an unhealthy 213K mile 4.0 which is getting yanked out and fully rebuilt, and surprisingly zero electrical issues minus the trans not shifting. I'm very happy with the purchase and my good buddy Drahcir495 and myself are going to be tearing into her very soon

It is the perfect platform for a restoration build, but enough yapping, here are some photos. 

905437_10151409243394998_1998011_o.jpg

922081_10151409243659998_1872363121_o.jp

914044_10151409243859998_864873252_o.jpg

913821_10151409243999998_2012095535_o.jp

913823_10151409244079998_832658980_o.jpg

920982_10151409243524998_134431718_o.jpg

Man awesome truck! I saw that same truck if I'm not mistaken last year for sale for $2000 but it might not be the same truck..you don't understand I'm on Craigslist 24/7...just the other day I saw a guy on there with a blue comanche chief and his post was for comanche parts to call him if he needed any. So I directed him to this website I hoped he joined and not think it was a scam...sorry got off subject

Awesome platform you got there! Will be watching this build part 2

haha yeah I go in cycles with CL. I get burnt out though because the majority of the stuff on there are useless and people ask a fortune. I have big plans for this one and I will keep a build journal up to date, not sure if I will do it in here or start a new one. I feel like I'm thread jacking my own thread lol. Currently the Jeep is about an hour from my house so ill be taking a trip up there today to really assess her formally. I should also point out that we have gained a good number of FL MJ owners recently, its great!

RockMJ

haha yeah I go in cycles with CL. I get burnt out though because the majority of the stuff on there are useless and people ask a fortune. I have big plans for this one and I will keep a build journal up to date, not sure if I will do it in here or start a new one. I feel like I'm thread jacking my own thread lol. Currently the Jeep is about an hour from my house so ill be taking a trip up there today to really assess her formally. I should also point out that we have gained a good number of FL MJ owners recently, its great!

RockMJ

I would start a new one! A new Comanche to play with and a new topic to keep it all organized. Maybe try to keep this one this time? :P

• 4 weeks later...

I want the vent guards if you don't!

I can't wait to see the build. you do excellent work.

I doubt I will be using them but would be willing to barter for something MJ related if your interested my friend. 

So a quick update on the 90 Elimiator for everyone. As of next week I will be bringing the MJ up to our new place to start the tear down and overhaul. I will no longer be posting in this thread as I will create a new build thread for that one (I think). Later on folks!

RockMJ