Fog Lights on My Terms

Motor issues behind me, I can turn to better projects.

Long tired of having fog lights accessible only when low

beams are on, I decided to use the "burger king" tactic

and make them work "my way". I want fog light capability

whether or whether not any of my headlights are on, and

I want to avoid accidentally leaving them on.

The fog light switch has a violet with white stripe lead that

supplies power from the dimmer switch. The under dash

fuse panel has an empty terminal marked "IGN" that is hot

on run (off when key off). It was a simple matter to reroute

power to the switch using a jumper with spade terminal

from "IGN", then cut the lead so it no longer feeds from the

dimmer.

Ten minute job, and cost = zero.

Motor issues behind me, I can turn to better projects.

Long tired of having fog lights accessible only when low

beams are on, I decided to use the "burger king" tactic

and make them work "my way". I want fog light capability

whether or whether not any of my headlights are on, and

I want to avoid accidentally leaving them on.

The fog light switch has a violet with white stripe lead that

supplies power from the dimmer switch. The under dash

fuse panel has an empty terminal marked "IGN" that is hot

on run (off when key off). It was a simple matter to reroute

power to the switch using a jumper with spade terminal

from "IGN", then cut the lead so it no longer feeds from the

dimmer.

Ten minute job, and cost = zero.

It's easy to make them work that way, but it's also ullegal. By Federal law, FOG lights must NOT operate when the high beams are on, and DRIVING lights must not operate when the low beams are on.

And "off-road" lights must not operate (and in some states must be covered) when the vehicle is operated on a public highway.

soapbox.gif

It is my responsibility to operate in a safe manner, and as long as I do so,

it is the government's obligation to stay the h$ll out of my business. I don't

give a rat's rear about this being illegal, and I'll bet a quart of home-made

untaxed liquor that I never have the "opportunity" for a roadside chat with

the local constable over this matter. (the lights are OEM stock) Headlights

(low or high) give me long range visibility, and fog lights give me up close

and roadside.

End of soapbox.gif

I don't think they enforce that law too much unless your drawing major attention to yourself and the cop wants to tag ya for anything he can find. I have in the past, and currently run both fog (top of bumper) and driving (under bumper) lights. both sets are on separate switches to be on whenever I choose. I always have them on at night and have never, in about 16 yrs, have been bothered by any law enforcement about them.

:soap box:

and roadside.

End of soapbox.gif

yeahthat.gif :agree:

My parking circuit triggers my driving lights and my high beams trigger my bright driving lights and I have the ability to interrupt the triggers by switches on the dash (keeping the relays and hot wires close the lights and out from under the dash). Operating is a no brainer unless I feel the need to not use them.

As for the cops............well.........I'll not say what I think.

a few times i was headed to work at 430 in the morning, oncoming vehicle had their brights on, so i flashed them. no go, so i gave them my highs, still no go, so then i flipped on my fog lights that i had pointed about eye level for oncoming traffic like that...... he didnt dim his lights but flicked on the red and blues for a sec lol happend 3 times while i was working that job, never got pulled over and fealt good for blinding him in return. i agree, its not our "goverment" place to tell people what they can and can't do in and to their vehicles, such as the seatbelt law. just another way to collect $$ to efficentley waste

:soap box:

and roadside.

End of soapbox.gif

I wasn't suggesting that you would undo your "fix." I was quite certain you wouldn't pay any attention to a little thing like a legal requirement.

However, this isn't your forum, it's Pete's and I don't want Pete to get busted over his forum "recommending" to people that they make an unlawful modification to their vehicle. Now that y'all know what the law requires, you can make your own decisions.

a few times i was headed to work at 430 in the morning, oncoming vehicle had their brights on, so i flashed them. no go, so i gave them my highs, still no go, so then i flipped on my fog lights that i had pointed about eye level for oncoming traffic like that...... he didnt dim his lights but flicked on the red and blues for a sec lol happend 3 times while i was working that job, never got pulled over and fealt good for blinding him in return. i agree, its not our "goverment" place to tell people what they can and can't do in and to their vehicles, such as the seatbelt law. just another way to collect $$ to efficentley waste

Funny you should make the highlighted statement immediately after complaining that an on-coming vehicle blinded you. That's the reason for the law -- to prevent overly-bright lights from blinding on-coming drivers and causing accidents. If you don't choose to wear a seatbelt, you put yourself at risk. If you blind on-coming vehicles, you put ME at risk. That's the point at which government intervention becomes appropriate.

I gotta say I don't agree with bringing Pete's name into this. He has not even been a part of this peticular thread. What guy's on here decide to do to their trucks is completely up to them, legal or not. Also, whatever we choose to do is OUR choice and has absolutely nothing to do with Pete or anybody else on here.

Its crazy to say somebody will get "busted" for what another person decides to do to their own personal vehicle.

If I tell ya to try some weed and you get busted for possession do ya think the "he told me to do it" defense would hold up? I think not.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Anyway, its gotta be noon somewhere so cheers everybody! :cheers:

I gotta say I don't agree with bringing Pete's name into this. He has not even been a part of this peticular thread. What guy's on here decide to do to their trucks is completely up to them, legal or not. Also, whatever we choose to do is OUR choice and has absolutely nothing to do with Pete or anybody else on here.

Its crazy to say somebody will get "busted" for what another person decides to do to their own personal vehicle.

If I tell ya to try some weed and you get busted for possession do ya think the "he told me to do it" defense would hold up? I think not.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Anyway, its gotta be noon somewhere so cheers everybody! :cheers:

No, it's not crazy. If you don't understand why I made that post, you don't pay attention to what's going on in the world.

Internet sites, including forums, are getting sued almost on a daily basis because some doofus followed some advice some other doofus posted on an Internet forum, and doofus #1 got injured or killed as a result of believing doofus #2. And in many of these case, even when the forum has a disclaimer that members are responsible for their own posts, the forum owner and administrators get named in the lawsuits. On another forum where I serve as an administrator, the forum's owner takes a very harsh view of such activities. Any member who puts up a post advocating anything that's contrary to the law gets banned, permanently, and (of course) the post goes away.

Pete has provided this forum for us out of the kindness of his heart, and the fact that he likes Comanches and wants to discuss them with other people who like them. Early on, Pete asked me to help him be a moderator. I try to remember that this forum is smaller and has less formal rules than the other forums I moderate or have moderated in the past, but that doesn't mean I should be blind to something that could cause Pete problems down the road. It probably won't ... but Murphy's law is ALWAYS in effect.

I think the least we can do is not openly advocate illegal acts, since doing so on Pete's forum could get Pete in legal trouble. But ... I'm just old-fashioned that way.

That's the point at which government intervention becomes appropriate.

our country protects to stupid and lazy way too much. i see which catagory your with. if that cop didnt have his brights on he wouldnt of gotten my brights plus fogs. the way i see it, if your lights make it so i can't see, ill return the favor.

That's the point at which government intervention becomes appropriate.

our country protects to stupid and lazy way too much. i see which catagory your with. if that cop didnt have his brights on he wouldnt of gotten my brights plus fogs. the way i see it, if your lights make it so i can't see, ill return the favor.

Hmmm....Me thinks that Eagle has been quite reasonable with you up to this point. Just so you know, it is not only illegal to wire your fogs to operate without the headlights on, In Louisiana it is also illegal to turn them on when there is no fog. I have stopped drivers and ticketed them for it for the very reason Eagle gave.

Not everyone here in the forum is as nice as Pete....I'd have already banned you for attitude alone.

I understand where your coming from Eagle, your doing your job as a mod and I can respect that. Your right in that people out there are willing to sue over anything they can think of just to try and make a buck. In this case though it would never hold in the long run though.

(makes me thing of a few yrs back a guy bought a big RV. Was told by the dealer that it had "auto pilot", meaning cruise control. Well, he was out on the highway a few months later and set the "auto pilot", got up and went in the back to make coffee! Needless to say he ended up rolling it in the ditch.

He tried suing the RV company for it because he supposedly believed it would drive itself! Just crazy.)

As far as lights go, a person is free to do whatever they choose at their discretion.

My personal view on it is its just another example of how sad this world has become.

With all the serious crimes that happen every day, its pretty pathetic how law enforcement would focus on a set of lights unless your intentionally blinding people with them. Otherwise ya can't tell me there isnt something more important they could be doing. That happens ALOT. They should focus more on other things.

Cody, ya need to relax there dude. I agree with some of things ya said but it aint worth gettin all worked up over cause it won't change a thing except cause more problems for yourself.

lol that wasnt me being worked up. i just say what i think. apparentley you get a board warning issued for pointing out that most americans are dumb, and certain southern states don't allow fog lights on a seperate switch but breed with their cousins :roll:

and certain southern states don't allow fog lights on a seperate switch but breed with their cousins :roll:

Not origionally from Louisiana, but I have heard that as well. :roll: Think its where the phrase "kissing cousins" came from.

My personal view on it is its just another example of how sad this world has become.

With all the serious crimes that happen every day, its pretty pathetic how law enforcement would focus on a set of lights unless your intentionally blinding people with them. Otherwise ya can't tell me there isnt something more important they could be doing. That happens ALOT. They should focus more on other things.

Heard that a lot too.

Funny thing about folks - when they need the police, they want them right there right now. But when they don't want them "interfering" they gripe about it. Seems like they would realize you can't have it both ways. You either want the police to enforce the laws or you don't - you can't pick and choose which ones just 'cause you don't 'like' them.

Don't like the laws? Vote for someone who will change them. Its just that simple.

So then, steering back towards technical...,since proper operation apparently

hinges on this distinction, can someone describe the difference between fog

lights and driving lights? Is it the aim point? pattern? brightness? shape?

mounting position? Some, or all, of those? My searching has lead to a wealth

of conflicting information, including FL statutes that permit no more than

four forward facing lamps, two "headlamps" and two "auxilliary lamps". My

suspicion is that the variety of laws = 50.