Dana 44 Differential

I'm looking at replacing the D35 thats under my 89 Comanche short bed with a Dana 44 off a 91 Comanche long bed with the metric ton package. It will still have the metric ton springs left on the axle. Does it matter if mine is a short bed as far as the spring length goes ? And does anyone know if the Dana 44 have limited-slip in theses differentials. It came of a 91, 4.0, automatic ? From what I could find out about the 91's it should have 3.55 gears. But there isn't a tag and I haven't taken off the cover.

Thanks for any info!!

Glenn

I'm looking at replacing the D35 thats under my 89 Comanche short bed with a Dana 44 off a 91 Comanche long bed with the metric ton package. It will still have the metric ton springs left on the axle. Does it matter if mine is a short bed as far as the spring length goes ? And does anyone know if the Dana 44 have limited-slip in theses differentials. It came of a 91, 4.0, automatic ? From what I could find out about the 91's it should have 3.55 gears. But there isn't a tag and I haven't taken off the cover.

Thanks for any info!! Glenn

No probs with the MT springs, LWB or SWB. There's a BOM number stamped on the right axle tube, probably covered with grease and rust, but it's there and possibly readable if you clean it up. You can ID it using the BOM number on the Dana site IF it's not been molested with. If it's from a 91 MJ auto it's for sure a 3.55 ratio. It may be a Trac-Lok or not, it was optional. The only sure way to verify is open it up. The LS carrier isn't a show stopper; any Dana 44 Trac-Lok carrier will bolt in. I used one from a Honda Passport in mine. :cheers:

For a mostly offroad rig, yes. If it is street driven a lot I would opt for a limited slip or selectable locker.

I have an Aussie in the rear of my trail rig, and knowing how it handles and what it does on the street (especially making a turn pulling away from a stop sign or traffic light) I will NEVER put an automatic locker, be it lunch box or full carrier, in the rear axle of a rear wheel drive daily driver.

A selectable locker is a locker that can be turned on and off at will. Some use air pressure from a small compressor (ARB), some are electrical (Ected) and some are cable operated (Ox). When turned off the act like an open differential (or a limited slip in the case of an Ected), when turned on they connect the axles together like a spool.

No experience with any of them, but know some people who are not happy with their Ected, and a bunch who love their ARB.

and they are all very expensive and require a gear setup procedure to install. :(

plenty of people use the cheaper "lunchbox lockers" like the aussie in their daily drivers. just takes a bit of change in your driving style.

Well I drove to Ohio today and picked up my dana 44 with the metric ton spring packs! I can't believe how clean it is for being off a 91 Manche. Very little rust on the tubes and the backing plates are almost spotless. Now tomorrow I'll pull the cover and see what's inside once I get finished with the cars and trucks I get payed for fixing. Feels like Chistmas. Hoping there's a posi. in it !!

Glad to hear someone got the truck in Florida. Hope it works out for you!

Glenn

Well, after work I finally got a chance to open up my differential to see what I got and it was what I usually got for Christmas- Not what I wanted! Just your run of the mill open differential. Oh well that's life I guess. If I can find a dana 44 Trac-lock out of something else would I have to have the ring and pinion set up all over again?

Glenn