Tire pressure

I read some where that you are supposed to start out with the tire at it's maximum pressure, then draw a line across the tread with chalk. Drive forward a couple feet and see if the chalk is wearing off evenly. If not, then lower the pressure and try again. I believe that you wan't to run the highest pressure you can ( according to the chalk test) to get the best mileage.

I have never actually tries this though. umn.gif

What air pressure do you run in your tires for best ride and wear?

I am running LT235/75/15

30 psi

I have found this to be the best all-around pressure on both of my Jeeps, one with 235s and the other with 31s. IIRC, that's the factory recommended pressure.

Too high of pressure = wear in the center of the tire tread

Too low of pressure = wear on the outside edges of the tire tread, soft sidewall, sidewall wear from hard cornering and possible damage to wheel

With that said, I generally run 32-35 in passenger cars, and 30-32 in trucks and SUVs. In my autocross days I aired up to at least 40.

max pressure is for when the tire is trying to hold up it's maximum weight. somehow I doubt an empty comanche qualifies. why on earth do so many people want their tires rock hard? :dunno:

Because a harder tires flexes (and thus creates heat) less when rolling, which is less energy lost to friction ==> better gas mileage. With gas over $3/gallon every bit helps.

says on the side of my 31 km2 50 psi max so i run at 40.

18 psi for rock crawling.

my car tires i run whatever it says on the tire. even wear, great gas mileage.

The pressure on the sidewall is the maximum pressure, not the recommended pressure.

max pressure is for when the tire is trying to hold up it's maximum weight. somehow I doubt an empty comanche qualifies. why on earth do so many people want their tires rock hard? :dunno:

Because a harder tires flexes (and thus creates heat) less when rolling, which is less energy lost to friction ==> better gas mileage. With gas over $3/gallon every bit helps.

i understand that. it's just that my butt counts for something. and performance too. tires aren't designed to be run rock hard. better braking and handling come from the proper pressure. anything I save in gas could be instantly wiped out 10 fold if I skid in the rain or snow.

Know what you're saying. I like butt comfort and good handling too, but tire pressure is only one of many factors that affect this, so you have to experiment with your particular vehicle while staying within the mfg recommendation psi spans. For example, I ran BFG mud terrain tires and the best all-around pressure for them was 30psi. Their noise finally got to me and I got a good deal on some Michelin ATs, and they worked out best for me at 25psi. It all depends on how your suspension is set up, your local driving conditions, how/where you drive, what your comfort level is. Lots of variables...........

There's no magic tire pressure recommendation for all.

says on the side of my 31 km2 50 psi max so i run at 40.

18 psi for rock crawling.

my car tires i run whatever it says on the tire. even wear, great gas mileage.

The pressure on the sidewall is the maximum pressure, not the recommended pressure.

understood but my maxima's 17s max is 44. so i run 44. i drive that car like a race car DAILY and handling/comfort are great. even wear, everything. same for my altima. i run what is says on the tire as max and it drives great too.

for my trucks i run at least 10 lower than the max pressure. even wear, good handling, good mileage.

going TOO low will hurt not help your ride but again everybody has their own spin on things