Throttle Body to carberator swap.

I have an 86 2.5 4 cylinder with a throttle body on it. After talking to a friend about the trouble i have been having i have the following question.

Can an engine with throttle body be swapped to run with a carberator?

If so, how hard is it?

I am not sure what the problem is. it will run for about a mile and then dies. it will re-start with no problem immediately after it dies. I can figure out why it dies.

I was thinkin it may be in the computer, so was thinking about eliminating that.

You need to look at fuel pressure and look for vacuum leaks, and if it sputters like mine did, it needs an oxygen sensor, you may also look to see if the converter is plugged, if you have good fuel, or if theres water in the fuel, change the crank sensor just because.... just changing to a carb is not going to solve all your problems, and in some places it is illegal. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but changing to a carb is not the answer. Start going through things one peice at a time, and eliminating items that might cause this. Be smart about it, and don't be afraid to ask for help here. Good luck.

I am not sure what the problem is. it will run for about a mile and then dies. it will re-start with no problem immediately after it dies. I can figure out why it dies.

I was thinkin it may be in the computer, so was thinking about eliminating that.

The MJ carburetor was computer controlled, plus you still need the ECU to control the ignition so a carburetor (even an old-school, non-computerized carb) won't allow you to get rid of the ECU.

my 86 model/85 production year 4 cylinder comanches (i've had two) were both TBI, non-carburated. above and beyond that, my 86 xj, with a mid 85 production date, was TBI.

maybe some 4 cyl mj's were carb'd. but not here in the states, so I would have no experience with that. simply put, here in the states, there is not a carb'd 4 cyl mj availability, barring that they were imported.

I speak from personal experience, which is as pointed out is not fact...just what I consider rule of thumb.

does the 86 2.5 have an IAC? if so where is it located at?

I doesnt have a normal style IAC, it has an idle solenoid that mounts next to the throttle body, and it has a plunger that pushes on the throttle linkage to idle it up or down as needed for cold start, AC operation, or in response to the power steering pressure switch. I don't have a pic, otherwise Id put one up for you.