Neohic's Next!... '91 Pioneer

Swapped out the speedometer with another this afternoon. Seems to be working? I caught it blink off for just enough time to kill the cruise control but it only did it once. Has to be something in the foil backing of the cluster itself. Hopefully it'll get me through the weekend. Got a little road trip planned with this truck that'll take me roughly 300 miles round trip. Never taken this truck that far from home since it's been in its current incarnation. Of course on my test drive tonight to check my speedometer situation something has to go wrong though, right? I mean, it only makes sense that I'm taking off with it tomorrow. My radio is a little sketchy and I don't think I've ever tried using the 12v outlet but that doesn't work either. Fingers crossed that's just the truck getting its pre road trip jitters out.  :crossfingers:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in gods name would you get rid of the A/C :huh???:

First off, it's a MN truck. Second, it's a winter driver of a MN truck. Third, I hate keeping around stuff that doesn't work. So, since the A.C. will probably never be used, the system leaks, and there wasn't any pressure anyhow I just got rid of everything. Makes getting to the oil filter that much easier too. :wrench:
I'm in the process of deleting the AC on our 1990 Winter XJ. '88 MJ came without it and I've fully deleted it on the '90 MJ.

No need for it up here, just more junk under the hood! I've been to Florida a few times though. I can understand why you think us northern guys are nuts for doing this.

I live in Fl and have never owned a vehicle with AC. I just roll the windows down. Plus I live on the beach.

First off, it's a MN truck. Second, it's a winter driver of a MN truck. Third, I hate keeping around stuff that doesn't work. So, since the A.C. will probably never be used, the system leaks, and there wasn't any pressure anyhow I just got rid of everything. Makes getting to the oil filter that much easier too. :wrench:
I'm in the process of deleting the AC on our 1990 Winter XJ. '88 MJ came without it and I've fully deleted it on the '90 MJ.

No need for it up here, just more junk under the hood! I've been to Florida a few times though. I can understand why you think us northern guys are nuts for doing this.

I live in Fl and have never owned a vehicle with AC. I just roll the windows down. Plus I live on the beach.

I second that...the only thing that sucks when it's pouring rain. But I still ride with the rear sliding window open for a fresh breeze

I second that...the only thing that sucks when it's pouring rain. But I still ride with the rear sliding window open for a fresh breeze
Ventshades/Ventvisors are great for this. They even make them for the back window.

I'm going to refer back to the very first post of this thread for a minute...

The thrill of purchasing another truck is bliss, isn't it?... That first drive around a strange neighborhood while trying to think of as many questions as you can. Or driving it home all excited to introduce your new to you vehicle to your current vehicles with hopes that they'll be able to get along. Let's not forget that strange squeaking sound coming from somewhere in the upper left side of the dash... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ANYWAY?! I PUSH HERE AND THERE AND EVERYWHERE IT SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE COMING FROM!... Sometimes it goes away for a while and sometimes it doesn't matter where you push. Regardless, you put your hand up and over the headrest on the passenger side, set the cruise, and just let it roll.

We've all been there, right? Silly little things that you find out about the vehicle on its first ride home. You get the thing home and fix all those things that you didn't notice on the test drive and then you just enjoy your new pride and joy for a while until you really take it back out on a big road trip. Sometimes all you find yourself doing is just tooling around town... sure you could probably drive it across the country and not have any issues at all. That doesn't mean you're not going to worry and stress over something.

This was where I was at. The difference between most vehicles that someone might go through and fix those little squeaks and small issues and this truck is that just going through and trying to fix some squeaks is a bit of an understatement for what all has happened over this thread. Never has this truck really, really been out on the road since its been in its current form. All I've ever really done is drive the 8 miles into work and drive home. It gets driven around the yard moving branches and yard waste. Sometimes it even goes a little off the beaten path over to the local landfill. Never have I ever thought that I would be taking it on a 322 mile road trip.

What I can report from the last couple days is that not only the purchase of another truck is bliss, but same goes when you take that same vehicle and jump head first into a pool of unknown. What happens if something goes wrong? What if I'm stuck on the side of the road? Am I making the right choice in taking this truck on such a long journey? You know what?... screw it! You can only go over everything so many times before you jump in, hit the key, and just go. Things are bound to happen that you don't expect. That's where that feeling of bliss happens that you just need to sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is the part that I'd say most start thinking to themselves, "Yeah?... that's a great story but where's the pictures?". We're getting there, so just bear with me. This is actually the part where I would start thinking, "Cool!... but what's the backbone of the story? Why just jump in the truck and go 300+ miles? Surely there has to be a reason!". There is a reason... and it's a good one. Sometimes we go somewhere to see something new. Sometimes we go somewhere because there's that carrot dangling that you just have to have. Sometimes we go to help out a friend. For me, this road trip was a mixture of the three. I went from one side of MN to the other. Never been to my destination before but on the other hand there really wasn't all that much to make me want to go back. The carrot at the end of the trail was there, but honestly I'm not sure what I'd do with another one. This trip was mostly about the meat and potatoes of Comanche Club. I like to think that there's too many of us to count that would be willing to make such a drive for another member not because we necessarily want to, but because they would really appreciate it if you did and because they've wanted it for a while now.

10500529_615993671832833_175072355875705

What this road trip turned into for me was quality time re-getting to know a somewhat recently acquired friend of a truck. The near romantic thought of just jumping in your truck and riding off into the sunset was really the last thing I had in my head... but it slowly turned into just that. No more than 20 miles from home and I was already dreading if the slight wobble that would come and go would get any worse. Nowhere near death wobble, but when it was there it was there. Stack on the fact that the speedometer would sometimes do whatever it wanted was another fun experience. Not a huge deal... just keep up with traffic. It was almost laughable by the time we got back home. "Oh! Look at that! The needle is having another aneurysm!" Just about the same time that the truck started showing the wiggles was about the time that the radio completely cut out. Sure it'd turn on, but none of the buttons would do anything nor was there any sound. Granted, the wife came with so that just added to the experience. I'm sure she was thinking that it was just going to be a nap in the truck ruined by a bumpy ride only to end at just another Jeep thing that had nothing to do with her. What this road trip turned into was a real joy for both of us. Sure, we could've dwelled on the fact that the speedometer was less that desirable, or that the radio was out, let's not forget about that wobble that was sometimes there and sometimes wasn't, only to stop and see little oily spots on the tailgate because both the rear pinion seal and the front output seal on the transfer case were leaking... kinda bad, and the windows were down the entire time because of the near blast furnace coming from the footwells. None of that really mattered by the time we got on the last leg of our trip. What I gained most from the this was a trust in my truck that I absolutely can't say that I had before we left.

While I can't say that I was the first to say it, this road trip was a WilderQuest.

• 1 month later...

Over this past weekend, all this happened which leaves me without an excuse anymore to get the bedliner done. Also makes me want to slip in a small spacer above the coils to give it some help up front. Not sure if I'll put the roll bar back in the bed or not. Decisions... decisions...

10584040_640365609395639_693682563448941]

... also had another mouse issue. Have yet to catch the little stow away.  :fs2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Unbelievable that it actually worked out. Never would have dreamed it would have worked out! Now everyone needs to focus on the ahhhh um Ape.

I found it amusing when you were loading it up and talking about the dents. The cracked shifter knob... the cracked windshield... This truck is like a yearbook for you, man! Now on to "Long John Rafiki" to get that turd road worthy.  :laughin:

Unbelievable that it actually worked out. Never would have dreamed it would have worked out! Now everyone needs to focus on the ahhhh um Ape.

I found it amusing when you were loading it up and talking about the dents. The cracked shifter knob... the cracked windshield... This truck is like a yearbook for you, man! Now on to "Long John Rafiki" to get that turd road worthy.  :laughin:

Or the key coming out of the ignition..... Yeah. Wow. Weird.

• 2 years later...