'91 Speedometer Issue... Does Not Read

My speedometer doesn't work in my '91. Everything was working before I started swapping everything over to the new chassis and everything worked when I moved it all over in late June. I made sure that the speedo gear is aligned correctly and... from my high beams thread... made sure that everything was plugged in that I can see. From what I remember, the only electrical connections are starting at the gear housing, then another at the firewall by the blower motor, then the last behind the cluster. The truck just has dummy lights and the giant fuel gauge, and the rest of them all work. I tried taking out the gear housing and spinning with a drill without any luck as well. Any other ideas? Thanks guys.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben, the sensor was going out on my old '91 Eliminator when I was in high school. A quick few slaps on the sensor with the back of a medium sized screwdriver always got it fired up again... Never replaced it, just gave it a tap every now and then. Give it a tap and see if it comes back.

Rob

The VSS feeds the speedo, and the ECU. It's just a rotating reed switch that makes/breaks continuity based on it's RPM. You can pull it, turn it by hand, and check them with a meter, analog is best. It will not throw the "check engine" light either on an OBD1 system. At least not on mine. See if you have a code 15 first.

Take the sensor/sender off and look at the square hole in it, and at the square stub end of the gear shaft that drives it. If either are rounded off, you can either replace them, or just do what I did: whittle a finely-tapered wooden  shim, shove it into the square hole, then reassemble. I have had to do that twice: once at 190,000 and again at 285,000 miles - has worked just dandy.

Well, you can always beat on the speedo.  :yes:   Continuity testing time from the VSS to speedo, if good pull the VSS and check it for make/break with an analog ohmmeter. That being said, I had to finally replace mine as 1987Comanche did for intermittent speedo operation. Didn't throw a code either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1987-97-JEEP-CHEROKEE-XJ-WITH-AW4-TRANSMISSION-REPLACEMENT-SPEED-SENSOR-/190857033371?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6ff7369b&vxp=mtr

Me neither!

This ain't 'zack'ly what I got, but it is near enough to get the idea across - it's the square hole that was wallowed out and where I shoved that finely-tapered hand-whittled wooden shim I mentioned in my earlier post:

3091-0626.jpg.

Square peg was somewhat rounded off too - made never-no-mind a difference with the shim wedged in between the shaft and square mating hole:

56027014_v1_20111215.jpg.

Took the truck for a drive today and the speedometer still doesn't work... even after smacking around on things underneath. I came back and tested for codes and I did get a "15" this time. That sensor looks like a real bugger to get to!  :(

2WD AX-15 VSS is dead simple. I used a big adjustable wrench to break it loose and cleaned everything while I was there.  Took 15-20 minutes to do everything.

This is my VSS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1993-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Vehicle-Speed-Sensor-/330703041948?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1992|Make%3AJeep&hash=item4cff6ff59c&vxp=mtr