'91 Speedometer Issue... Does Not Read

Silly question, but you checked the fuse for the gauges, right? The cruise won't work on '91 without the speedo working because it reads off the back of the gauges that year. '92ish up they added a pin on the trans adapter to run it direct.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly question, but you checked the fuse for the gauges, right?...

I did. The fuel gauge still reads too.

... The cruise won't work on '91 without the speedo working because it reads off the back of the gauges that year. '92ish up they added a pin on the trans adapter to run it direct.

Good to know. Maybe I'll be on the lookout for a different cluster then.

• 6 months later...

Jack-Nicholson.gif

So I've had this speedometer problem for a while now with this truck. Sometimes it works. Other times not so much. I changed out the speedometer itself in the cluster and that helped... as in, it worked more of the time. Then it went dead again all together and hasn't worked for a few weeks now. Today was the day that I decided to change out the whole cluster assembly for a different one. I now need to change out the oil pressure and temp sensors, but that's not a big deal at all. Trouble is... the speedometer still does not read. Fuel and volts read just fine and I assume that the oil and temp will also when the proper sensors are installed as they jump around with the key on. Anything special that I don't know about these clusters? Only thing I did with it was clean it up a bit and swap over the old fuel gauge/gear selector from the old cluster. Not sure what year it came from.

10647243_648411671924366_603042798313206

Any new suggestions besides killing it with fire?

Police Cluster w. Extended Idle Panel

Don't know WTF is wrong with the speedo. You have replaced the speed sensor, si?, and the speedo itself, so it has to be an intermittent continuity problem. I hate the word intermittent................

Police Cluster w. Extended Idle Panel

Don't know WTF is wrong with the speedo. You have replaced the speed sensor, si?, and the speedo itself, so it has to be an intermittent continuity problem. I hate the word intermittent................

Yup... traded some stuff with Rob when he was up here a few weeks back. I replaced the speedo, then the cluster itself, trans speed sensor, tested the t-case speed sensor and it came out fine. I'm going to start at the sensors and go from there checking continuity all the way... again.  :wall: