Steering Shaft - Where to Get one....

Problems on the rise... I swear I'm going to chop this truck into pieces soon. I'm getting that sick of it.

Where can I get a steering shaft on the cheap (I need an intermediate, or so I was told)? Or is there such a thing (cheapest I've seen is $135) I need one to replace my shot one in the truck, to be able to install my steering box, to be able to adjust my @#$%ing tie rod ends and align my truck TO BE ABLE TO get it back on the road and have it drivable. Excuse the language, but I've had a really :mad: @#$%ing day.

-------

Edit to adjust things

I searched around a bit for ya and I also only came up with a brand new shaft thats runs around 125-140 dollars.

Personally I would not 'cheap' out on steering parts :thumbsup:

Well, that's hard to do when I don't have the $ to throwdown on a $250+ steering part. I did searching too, but only found Power steering shafts. Mine is a manual shaft, does this matter?

Any shaft from a '84 thru a '90 XJ will work and they're plentiful in the JY. Think they will be the same up to '98. they run $10 here.

Wow, wish I lived out in CO, as the junkyards round here barely ever have XJ's. :fs1: :fs1:

Well, that's hard to do when I don't have the $ to throwdown on a $250+ steering part. I did searching too, but only found Power steering shafts. Mine is a manual shaft, does this matter?

Nope. The steering shaft is the same, only the box is different between manual and power steering.

Nope. The steering shaft is the same, only the box is different between manual and power steering.

Saved me quite the headache Eagle. :bowdown: :cheers: Appreciate it very much!

The shafts are different between power and manual steering.

The power shaft has a rubber dampner built in it and the manual shaft does not,but they will interchange.

I ran a power shaft on my manual box for over a year till I converted to power steering.

Wasnt there a recall on the steering shafts? I remember this page from the other day.

http://www.jeep-comanche.com/comanche-recall.asp

I'm not sure it applies to 87 models or not. And being a Jeep dealer tech I looked it up for you. Chrysler has your Jeep listed, but has very little info on it. It is showing NO open or closed recalls, though chrysler may not have had access to that info before the AMC purchase. I do see the original selling dealer... Selling Dealer: 23969 - FRANK GRIFFIN JEEP EAGLE CHRYS

Sales Type: 1 - DIRECT RETAIL

City: JACKSONVILLE

State/Province: FL

Telephone: (904)737-1520,

and last known owner.

Your build date is: April 16, 1987

Edit... I got your VIN from the registry.

I'm curious as to why you would need a shaft. The U-Joint on one end can be replaced. The splines on the other very rarely go out.

From what I've been able to look up, I haven't seen any info on being able to replace just the U-Joints. I figured you needed a higher end model to be able to interchange the U-Joints, or that no-one sells the U-joints. That's the problem with mine. My U-Joint is completely shot. :fs1:

do a search for crown stering parts.that's where i got mine last year.i think it was $100 or so.

Yeah, that was the one I was going to order. :cheers:

Wasnt there a recall on the steering shafts? I remember this page from the other day.

http://www.jeep-comanche.com/comanche-recall.asp

I'm not sure it applies to 87 models or not. And being a Jeep dealer tech I looked it up for you. Chrysler has your Jeep listed, but has very little info on it. It is showing NO open or closed recalls, though chrysler may not have had access to that info before the AMC purchase. I do see the original selling dealer... Selling Dealer: 23969 - FRANK GRIFFIN JEEP EAGLE CHRYS

Sales Type: 1 - DIRECT RETAIL

City: JACKSONVILLE

State/Province: FL

Telephone: (904)737-1520,

and last known owner.

Your build date is: April 16, 1987

Edit... I got your VIN from the registry.

Very glad you got my build date and everything. Also, very glad you happen to be a Jeep tech. Saves me the trouble of having to look up myself the build date, etc! As far as recalls go, I figured they didn't have any info on mine; I was going to contact Chrysler, but I heard they stopped having info for the trucks before 88. :(