Rocky Road 5" kit

Any thoughts on this kit? I think it came out recently, SOA in the rear, OME springs w/2" spacer up front. Its just under $500 with DT shocks. I am getting an '88 shortbed, 4.0 very soon and want to run a 33/10.50 on it. This is my first MJ after 8 other Jeeps...been searching awhile for one. I'll get some "before" pics up when I get 'er home.

my thoughts are you get what you pay for

5" on stock front suspension arms is sucky.

not to mention the trackbar issues, and the steering drag link being maxed out.

I think they only have that kit for the rear SOA for a d35, and tires to fit 5" of lift are way to big for a 35.

I'd look into the RE 4.5" system, it goes SOA in the rear and rounds it out with a full front suspension kit.

It's like $1k but like pong says, you get what you pay for, and after you make the RR kit "complete" with a new trackbar and arms you'd be at that price anyway.

i didn't realize there weren't lca's... i guess it makes sense to go with the RE kit, or hybrid something smaller.

plus the RE kit flexes like no other, ask pong... and it runs a 4.5 front spring with 1.75 spacers, meaning its more like a 6" kit.

that way you can fit 33s without trimming at all.

Hi everyone- first post for me. I've been lurking around the forum for a while but this thread brought me out of the closet. My son and I will be installing this kit (half kit?) on his '89 MJ this weekend. We'll take pics and let everyone know how it goes.

We considered a lot of different lift ideas before going with the RR deal. So far, I'm satisfied with their service and the quality of what we got. They answer tech question emails in a few minutes at 9 o'clock at night too. One of our packages was broken open and they overnighted what I told them I was missing the next day. Yeah, we'll probably need to address the control arm issue but, we'll cross that rut when we come to it. And, uh, the under $500 kit doesn't include the shocks but it does come with a new trackbar.

Thanx everyone for so willingly sharing your expertise. I'm sure we'll bug you all some more before this project is done.

What am I saying? :nuts: These things are never done. :banana:

Our 5" RR kit went in this weekend without a hitch. jamminz.gif Well, there weren't any hitches that weren't our fault or we couldn't solve by reading the directions. The only thing I would do different if I did another one would be to do it when the driveway is about 50 - 60 degrees warmer. We're having a bit of a cold snap here in SoCal and I about froze my butt off. B & A photos soon.

Our 5" RR kit went in this weekend without a hitch. jamminz.gif Well, there weren't any hitches that weren't our fault or we couldn't solve by reading the directions. The only thing I would do different if I did another one would be to do it when the driveway is about 50 - 60 degrees warmer. We're having a bit of a cold snap here in SoCal and I about froze my butt off. B & A photos soon.

Cold snap + SoCal? Non comprende.

Are your LCAs hitting the mount on the axle at all?

No, the LCA's are clear of their mounts. That was a problem during re-assembly though. The longer OME springs and spacers wanted to roll the axle, (2WD here) causing the mounts to hit the top of the LCA's; keeping the holes from lineing up. Nothing a couple jacks, straps, and BFH couldn't solve. The front end would have to go past maximum extention for it to hit right there now.

Yes it did get cold in SoCal last week. (11 degrees at my house) You have to understand- we're not even used to seeing our breath in the morning. I spilled some coffee in the work area on the driveway Saturday morning and it was frozen solid when I got back with a refill. :eek: Tech tip: Those thin foam military sleeping pads are great for laying under a truck on a cold driveway.

No, the LCA's are clear of their mounts. That was a problem during re-assembly though. The longer OME springs and spacers wanted to roll the axle, (2WD here) causing the mounts to hit the top of the LCA's; keeping the holes from lineing up. Nothing a couple jacks, straps, and BFH couldn't solve. The front end would have to go past maximum extention for it to hit right there now.

Yes it did get cold in SoCal last week. (11 degrees at my house) You have to understand- we're not even used to seeing our breath in the morning. I spilled some coffee in the work area on the driveway Saturday morning and it was frozen solid when I got back with a refill. :eek: Tech tip: Those thin foam military sleeping pads are great for laying under a truck on a cold driveway.

its bitterly cold here. like. My mj spits water out the pipe in the morning, I acctually had icicles on my tailpipe when I stopped the truck at the school. And I need to do the oil soon too :(