write up on 2.5L valve cover plastic to metal swap?

Hey folks,

I also posed this question in the DIY section, but figured more people see it here. I am about to swap my 1990 plastic valve cover for a 94 wrangler aluminum cover. I searched for a DIY write up to no avail. I have a new gasket on order (takes a different gasket, the cover has nubs on the bottom to alleviate crushing the gasket), and I'm going to get new bolts. (shoulder bolts don't fit) I'm aware I have to re-route the "breather" stuff on the top of the valve cover. Any other pointers/tips would be appreciated. I'll try to post in the DIY section when I switch the cover out (waiting on new gasket)

-Erin (tired of chasing the leak)

Bignuke....Did your metal cover have the little "nibs" on the gasket surface to keep from crushing the gasket? When the cover is tightened down should those touch the head? I have not seen the gasket yet, so I do not know how thick it is....? I just do not want to overtighten the bolts, and be in the same boat I am now. (or worse)

-E.

Thanks Folks for all the help here. I did not have an appropriate torque wrench, so I used the good and tight method, using the head bolt sequence. I posted a DIY on this with some good photos of the breather re-route, and the size hoses/bolts I used. I simply "tacked" the gasket in the corners. So far, so good. I ran in up to operating temp, and watched for leaks the whole time. No leaks! I assume keep an eye on it for a while.

-E.

p.s.- The gasket choices were pretty slim. I ended up using a felpro "rubber" gasket which is actually rubber coated cork. The only other choice was cork only. :hmm:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just competed swap. Used a 2001 Jeep Wrangler VC. Used Fel-pro gasket perma-dry VS50502R. Worked great, added 1/4-20 1" long stainless Allen head bolts and stainless washers, complements paint work.

(I'd add pics, but I don't know how, some help please)