Project Damien

As if two MJ projects is not enough :thwak: I saved this 86 MJ viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30396 .

The rear wheels are held on by one lug nut each, but it managed to make the 40 mile drive in one piece. This project should move quicker than the dually MJ, because I am not worried about the color and I picked up this donor XJ to immediately swap its goodies over to the project MJ ->

The reason it was cheap ->

Thank goodness for people like you! Whenever I think I have a Comanche problem I just need to come over to CC....as long as I don't find any more cheap Comanche's near me I *should* feel like I'm under control with only having 2.

I felt the same way two weeks ago when I was at 2 MJ's :yes: . Glad you stop by the CC, even if it is to rationalize your addiction :rotfl2: :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I picked up a truck box off Craig’s List ->

I think I will use this one on the dually and find something less flashy for this truck.

With all the free time I have over this weekend I started working on getting everything out of the MJ for the 4.0 swap. I started on the Third’s interior ->

After removing the red dash, I found an army of mud dauber nests, spiders, and ants in every crack and crevice ->

Then my ADD kicks in and stated to remove the XJ dash. I almost had it completely out, but did not have a deep socket for the steering column and switched tasks again ->

Made some progress on the new door panels. Door panels b4 ->

Door panels after adding hockey stick arm rests and map pocket ->

I found out that the truck had Rats nesting in door passenger’s side door at some time ->

I really wanted to get the engine out today, but I would be left to do it on my own. I did not let that deter me and found this little gem on the frame while getting ready to pull the engine->

Getting the 2.8 ready to come out ->

Lifted over the header panel and ready to go ->

This is where I really needed help. I could not move the hoist with the engine on it – shoot. All the rain made the ground very soft and there was no way I could get it to budge. With a little ingenuity I was able to pull the engine free of the engine bay _>

Sitting safely on the ground ->

TBC - Rich

Back at it again today. The floor in the MJ looks really good. A plug missing from the passenger’s side floor, but it is rust free->

The transmission hump is perfect ->

And there are just a few spots of rust through on the driver’s side ->

Removed the wiring harness, brake booster/cylinder, and the clutch reservoir ->

Also removed the heater core and box ->

With everything from the inside of the MJ removed, we can get the interior from the 96 XJ in ->

Started removing the dash with the deep socket - I remembered to bring it with me today. I am trying to remove the dash as complete as possible for the install->

Disconnected the fuse block and kept most of internal wiring on the back of the dash. Just had to disconnect a few of the connectors to finally get it free ->

Pulled up the carpet – going to see if it can be made to work in the MJ ->

TBC - Rich

Hey Rich, that's great progress. Wish I were a little closer so I could give you a hand in a pinch. Would love to help you and also pick your brain at the same time. Keep the pics coming.

Buck.

Buck,

Thanks :cheers: . You are always welcome to help out, but Lake Mary is a bit of a drive :wrench: . You can always pick my brain from there - :typing: PM, email, or call me. I will do my best to help you out, but nothing beats hanging out over a jeep project and brainstorming. Talk to you soon - Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the transmission and transfercase! I started admiring the combo in the bed of the truck when I was filling up with gas. Something looked odd. I realized that the transfercase did not look like the NP231? It is the NP242 - I think that is pretty cool. I did some damage to my computer and it will not let me enter smilies, check my AOL mail, upload pictures to Photobucket, look at more than one picture on Ebay, etc. I messed something up good, so the build thread will be very light on pictures until I find a work around or pay the Geek Squad to fix it.

Its fixed jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

The new AW4 & NP242 ->

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get my computer fixed, so I will start to post up on my progress. I tried the XJ carpet in the MJ and just by laying it in the truck it looks like it should be a very close fit ->

I broke one of the mounts on the heater box removing it fro the first 96 XJ earlier this year ->

I wasn’t too happy about it, but I suppose missing one bolt would not hurt anything. I wanted to use everything from the 96 in the MJ, because of something that would be different between the years and being 10 years newer. Then when I removed the original heater box I found more evidence of rat-foolery ->

The boxes looked almost identical, so I tried to take the good plastic of the 86 box and try fitting it on the new 96 XJ box – it worked! ->

Ready to go in the MJ ->

And installed ->

I also got the shifter in place ->

I will be working on it this weekend, so I should have a lot of progress to post up.

TBC

• 1 month later...

My 6 year old nephew and I headed over to the shop to work on the jeep. We got the dash and some of the trim pieces in->

We have the carpet laid out and the new bucket seat brackets we got from 89er ( :cheers: ) lined up too.

Took a shot of the back of the next club project ~ 1942 Dodge CarryAll WC53 ->

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the CarryAll out of the way with the Blue MJ ->

so I can pull the project MJ into the shop ->

Set the MJ up in the corner and brought the parts XJ in too ->

Started to remove the engine and transmission from the XJ ->

I just about had it out ->

and I noticed this ???? ->

It looks like a piece of plastic connecting the lines together???? Is this normal??

And now that the engine is free I can see a few holes will have to be made for the wiring harness and the auto cable ->

It should be interesting from here on. TBC - Rich

That Dodge is sexy man! If you need a hand let me know! I am down for turning a few wrenches and I'm probably not that far from you either

RockMJ

It is, but it needs work.

Thanks for the offer :cheers: I am sure we are right around the corner from you :wrench: .

• 1 month later...
you have gotten more done to your MJ which was in worse shape than mine, in one month, and I have had mine for over a year *facepalm

although having a donor jeep and a shop would definitely help haha. Nice build! I will be watching for sure :cheers:

:D the rest of the guys have projects they would like to pull inside, so there is a lot of pressure to move it along! It does help having the shop = more jeeps :clapping:

Thanks for watching :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning on running 33 to 35" tires, so I need to start planning on what lift to get. I love the Rubicon Express lift on my Blue MJ, so I was looking at getting the Control Arm Drop Brackets for this Comanche too. I saw the RE DB on the 4wheel Parts website for $269.99 :eek: . I figured I would look for something cheaper. After some research I found out that Rough Country makes some nice looking Control Arm Drop Brackets and @ $189.95, this was a deal. - Until I found http://mudflaps.com/ :bowdown:

Rubicon Express Control Arm Drop Brackets for $165 shipped! I got exactly what I ordered and quickly! I am very pleased with this company.

First new part of the front suspension lift ->