Biting the Bullet ... Time for Historic Tags

beepbeepmyredjeep

Well, I've decided it's time for my MJ to get historic tags, and become an "occasional use" vehicle.

The vehicle recently failed the emissions tests, which apparently recently changed in Maryland.

In previous years, the truck was put through a "treadmill" with a large pipe connected to the tailpipe, and a fan blowing to keep the engine from overheating.

My little 4 cylinder has always been way below the limit for emissions requirements.

This year, when I had the truck tested, I had to sit in the truck without a treadmill, and actually rev the engine up and hold it at a high rev speed for close to a minute. No fan blowing to keep the engine cool, nothing. My vehicle then failed because the emissions were too low. The computer claims I have an exhaust leak. I suspect that the new test system is not properly calibrated for older vehicles to be putting out lower emissions than it expects, so it automatically fails them.

Instead of fighting the system, I'm going to give up, throw in the towel, and take my MJ off the road as a daily driver...

It will now get to drive once a week with historic tags.

This is a good thing for my MJ really...it will never again have to brave winter roads and face our favorite rust causing salt.

Since I don't have a garage, can anyone recommend to me a good truck cover I can use to protect my MJ when I'm parking it for extended periods?

...The good news in all this is that with my recent job switch, I'm now making enough money to purchase a brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...and I already got the wife to sign off on it!

jamminz.gif

I don't remember the exact price, but I believe it will drop my tags and insurance by at least 50%.

Historic tags requirements in MD are that the vehicle is for "occasional use".

As far as driving once per week, technically I could drive it as much as I want, but if I pass the same cop 5 days in a row with historic tags, he's going to ticket me for using my truck as a daily driver. And I pass the same cop almost every day on the way to work, so no way to hide it.

I think I would sit down and write a letter to the head of the testing program and explain exactly why you think tour truck failed. Probably be a waste of time but sometimes it does help. Never had to use a car cover so I can't help you there. Just make sure you get one that breaths.

Maryland Historic tags are $51 for two years. Plus you can get model year tags and run those if you can find some. They are at 20 years...

Just about the only good thing I found when researching moving out there.

thats not too bad then. ours are a one time fee, and you can drive whenever you want except for the month of January.

WTF? :dunno:

i don't know the real reason either. maybe if they limit it to 11 months, then you can't just plate your vehicle with hobbyist ones and drive it year round. i forgot to add, in WI you must have at least one "regular" plated vehicle in order to have a vehicle with hobbyist plates.

thats not too bad then. ours are a one time fee, and you can drive whenever you want except for the month of January.

WTF? :dunno:

i don't know the real reason either. maybe if they limit it to 11 months, then you can't just plate your vehicle with hobbyist ones and drive it year round. i forgot to add, in WI you must have at least one "regular" plated vehicle in order to have a vehicle with hobbyist plates.

Yet another reason I am jealous of you cheeseheads. I am moving up there as soon as I get the chance.

Well, as soon as you guys boot out Walker that is.

Rob :fs2:

...The good news in all this is that with my recent job switch, I'm now making enough money to purchase a brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...and I already got the wife to sign off on it!

jamminz.gif

I hope you don't mind advice on a JK even though you didnt ask for it. :cheers:

I bought one in 2009. It is not my daily driver. I have an old tahoe for that. But it gets more miles than the MJ does. It has been my experience that the Rubicon by far offers the most for your money. Many serious off-roaders will argue you will get a better vehicle if you build it yourself. True but not for the price difference. Many that never off road will argue you will never need the Rubi ability. You will want to take it off road sometimes. Plus the 4.10 gearing comes in very handy all the time. The real value in the Rubi is that it doesnt depreciate. Go to kbb.com and check out a used one.

Out of the box, you will get F&R d44 w/4.10 gearing, F&R lockers, a better transfer case, better springs that provide a small lift, over size tires and wheels. When the time comes to sell it, you will get most of that back. Plus, on the 4-door JK, it looks a bit out of scale but the tires & rims seem to be exceptionally small on 4 door. The rubicon tires and wheels seem to fix that. Also, a 2" Tera Flex lift can help too and she wil never know you did it. AND WHAT SHE DOESNT KNOW won't HURT HER. :rotf: