32"/33" tires with 3.07s?

anyone running this combo with the 4.0HO? looking to put on the 4" lift and want to run some 32" bfg at's but don't really want to regear these axles. i did find a d30/ d35 combo from a 98 tj with 4.10s and a limited slip for $350 that i might pick up for now. long term plans would be a d44/9" like i had in my zj.

nathan

3.07s would really make it suck on the highway and such power wise....

4.10's would be considered optimal for 31's, slightly below for 32's, and IMO the better way to go, but i dunno if the TJ axles are a direct bolt in or not

4 cyl XJ kicking around in the j-yard at all?

The TJ rear axle aint gonna fit as it sits. The front will, but not the rear. You can do it, its just not a bolt in as the front is.

You will really NEED taller gears for any kind of street driveability. Let alone wheeling you can all but forget that!!

CW

Just pull the carrier and gears out of the rear and put them in your housing on the back. The front carrier will work with your axle but the gears will not if it is an LP axle.

Gears must be set-up properly or they'll be non-existant by the time you test-drive it around the block.

Just pull the carrier and gears out of the rear and put them in your housing on the back. The front carrier will work with your axle but the gears will not if it is an LP axle.

Gears must be set-up properly or they'll be non-existant by the time you test-drive it around the block.

But, you can swap them from one axle to another using the same shim stack-up about 90%~ of the time... Providing the housings are the same casting.

my brother ran 33's with 3.55s and auto for a little over a year and it wasnt that bad. slow, but that's to be expected... and this is A TIRED 4.0, you can turn it over by pulling on the serpentine :eek:

You can get away with a lot if you're driving an automatic. Pretty much by definition, though, an XJ or an MJ with 3.07s is a 5-speed. Trying to drive a manual tranny with 3.07 gears and huge tires would be excruciating. It would also be an opportunity to buy stock in a company that builds clutches, 'cause you'll be going through a few in rapid succession.

thinking i am going to piece together the lift parts for the 4" lift and get the 32" bfg at's and run it for now. it is mostly driven in the city at this point. i am going to be picking up an 8.8 with 3.73s and will look for a cherokee d30 to match.

side note, if i picked up the explorer leafs, can i piece the leaves together to get about 3" of lift from them?

nathan

my brother ran 33's with 3.55s and auto for a little over a year and it wasnt that bad. slow, but that's to be expected... and this is A TIRED 4.0, you can turn it over by pulling on the serpentine :eek:

You can get away with a lot if you're driving an automatic. Pretty much by definition, though, an XJ or an MJ with 3.07s is a 5-speed. Trying to drive a manual tranny with 3.07 gears and huge tires would be excruciating. It would also be an opportunity to buy stock in a company that builds clutches, 'cause you'll be going through a few in rapid succession.

well my trucks got a 4.0 with the 3.07s it can still start off in 4th gear if it has to... (lazy one day) mine will be runnin that same combo he mentioned for a little while this summer.

my xj has 3.55 gears and 33'' tires with an auto trans. it runs great on the highway crusiing between 70 and 80. but stop and go traffic just kills me and my gas mileage.

Same here... just never reach 75 let alone 80MPH!!! :eek: :eek: Its a jeep man, slow down!!

The AW-4 is constantly "hunting" for a gear on any kind of incline. Power if ok, as the torque of the 4.0 makes up for some of the gearing lost at the cost of mileage. Mileage dropped from better than 20MPG w/30" tars to about 12 w/33" er's. :cry: :cry:

The 4:56's and D44 going in next month will be a welcome addition!!

CW

thinking i am going to piece together the lift parts for the 4" lift and get the 32" bfg at's and run it for now. it is mostly driven in the city at this point. i am going to be picking up an 8.8 with 3.73s and will look for a cherokee d30 to match.

side note, if i picked up the explorer leafs, can i piece the leaves together to get about 3" of lift from them?

nathan

I HATED the 3.07 gears when I upgraded to 30" tires. But then I demand more from my truck than being mere transportation. If it's not fun to drive, why bother? :D

I don't think you can get 3" from adding Explorer leafs. Maybe an inch or so. AALs are pretty cheap, but make sure you get one for an MJ, as the XJ ones will only lift your truck half as much as they would an XJ.

Also, from what I can tell, 3.73 gears were more common in Grand Cherokees than Cherokees so keep an eye out for them too.

The Lo-pinion will work just fine for most XJ/MJ jeeps. Not the best for higher lifts but just fine. To the best of my knoledge, all ZJ's D30's where lo pinion.

Yes they are weaker as they utalize a crush sleeve for the pinion and run on the weaker side of the ring gear. But I know a guy in my club palying his XJ VERY HARD with TJ front axle and 35" MTR's. NO breakage...yet.

If you find one for the right price, you only havw say 3-4" of lift I say, go for it.

CW