Replacing ignition with switches

Searched, found nothing on specifics of what I want to do.

So, since I got my Comanche, there never was an ignition key. The lock had been busted out, and all there is is a tab that I use plier to grab. Othere than that it was turning and starting just fine.

The other day I was driving around, and when I got where I was going and went to turn the truck off, I found I couldn't turn the igniton back to 'off'. It was stuck in the 'on' position. I said, ok, decided to really ream on it, still didn't budge. So my truck was stuck 'on'. I ran around like that till noon or so, and once I got my truck in the driveway, that's when I tried to stop it. Ended up yanking the distributor wire, stopping the engine.

So, no my truck is in my garage, dead until I can fix the ignition. What I want to do is catch the wires before they go up the steering column, and splice in 2 switches. One will be an 'off/run' 2 position switch, the other will be for the starter. That switch you can push up, and it returns to 'off' position when you let go, perfect for the starter.

So, the big question is, which wires do I snip and splice? I know how to do the work, just need the right wires.

Push button start, baby, oh yeah!

I live in NY. Replacing the column is not something I want to do. The ignition is the only problem, and I will deal with having the switches (way cooler than keys, IMHO), and even if someone wanted to steal it, they couldn't get the thing going anyways. I have the only MJ that I have seen around me (rural area), and it's the only green spray painted VEHICLE I have seen around here, and anyone who see's it knows it's mine. I don't let them forget. :D Thanks for the offer, but I am just going to throw switches on there.

That said, I still need which wires to splice into.

I crawled under the dash, and based on this info, I found 2 harness plugs that I think are the right ones.

The one has a dark green (starter I'm told), brown, and yellow wire:

The other one has a large red (power), a large orange (run), small purple, gray and black/white wires:

So, what do I cut to put on a different switch? What DON'T I cut and leave in that plug? And where do I put them on the switches I have?

Switch #1: has 3 poles, top, middle, bottom, switch only has 2 positions.

Switch #2: has 2 poles, switch returns to starting position.

Okay.. having done exactly what you are asking about....

Take Skinny up on his offer.. switches suck...

When I finally take the dashboard out of my truck for the harness replacement.. a newer column is going in. To replace my damaged ignition lock solenoid.

Look guys, I get what you are saying, and I will replace the column eventually. But I need this running RIGHT NOW. Or else I don't make the money to get that new steering column. Just replacing the cylinder won't work either, this thing is fawked, which is why I want to move the ignition to the dash, so the only thing I am using on the steering is the wheel itself.

This is what I am working with:

Look guys, I get what you are saying, and I will replace the column eventually. But I need this running RIGHT NOW. Or else I don't make the money to get that new steering column. Just replacing the cylinder won't work either, this thing is fawked, which is why I want to move the ignition to the dash, so the only thing I am using on the steering is the wheel itself.

This is what I am working with:

:eek:

:eek: Me too.

Get a test light, or volt meter. Find the hot wire. Usually it will be larger than the others and red. Hook a short length of wire to it. Take the other end of the wire and touch the various terminals in the connector(s). The starter will be obvious, make sure your not in gear. When you touch the run wire the dash will activate, lights will come on, needles will move. A shower of sparks will be ground. To confuse the enemy you might install a dozen switches on a panel with only 2 hooked up. Bien suarte.

Well, I just tested all the wires in every combo possible, and every time it said the voltage was 12.8. How exactly am I supposed to do this? Even with the black and red leads switched, 12.8.

Also, nothing turned on when I made contact, and the starter did not engage when I went from red to green. The only thing I disconnected was these 2 harnesses and something should have been making some noise.

Your just doing something wrong and/or not giving us enough info. If you apply +12 volts to all the wires in that connector, SOMETHING is going to happen, somewhere. Turn signal blink, wipers come on, something.

I can't help the immediate issue, but I would recommend a third switch (hidden if possible) to the fuel pump. No fuel means no start means no stealing.

From what I found:

"the GREEN wire is the starter & the YELLOW is the ignition coil. So I hooked up a toggle & push-button to those, and

BA-DA-BING! Keyless ignition."

Diagram:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost ... stcount=10

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/b/o/bottlework ... agrams.pdf