• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe these can help a little..........

http://scranton.craigslist.org/pts/2348150158.html

http://scranton.craigslist.org/pts/2372011707.html

http://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/2369816202.html

You haven't said what gearing your front axle is, so you need to know so that you can match it or replace both axles with better gear ratios if you want.

You still need a different mechanic, though. There are a lot of things that I am capable of learning to do, but just may not have time/money/whatever reason so I do use a mechanic. One that I have gotten to know by talking with him and see how he reacts to certain subjects. He likes jeeps and just loves (snicker) it when I call him and say, "I got another Jeep, are you busy?"

If fact, I just called mine Monday and told him I had a little job for him to do and that I would drop the Jeep off later that afternoon after work......His response is not printable because he knew it was a job that I couldn't do and would probably mean pain and torture on his part. I had him replace the TPS on my wifes 02 GC because they are so locktite'd in that you have to remove the throttle body and put it in a vice to get the two little screws out. He griped and moaned and only charged me one hour of labor and had it done Tuesday when I got off work. He's a good guy and I try to give him work every so often to help him stay in business.

Surely, you can find somebody local to you that will treat you right for those time when you want somebody else to do the work.

but hey my advise would be to take this opportunity to swap to a stronger axle. i'm very glad i did. i know i would have destroyed another in no time. a guy i know actually destroyed 2 of these in his wrangler within 6 months. he is currently in the process of swaping a d44 in.

Theres a couple yards around here that have them. Ones about 1 hour away he did have a 44 in a 2wd LWB MJ and a 35 in a 89 4x4 MJ. I doubt he knows its a 44 I can call and get prices if you want and then PM you the location. Also one about 1/2 hour from me that had a few 2wd I never looked under.

Didn't somebody just post up a pic of a comanche with a rear at Harry's u pull it in Hazelton? Would be cheap and not too too far. Hopefully the correct ratio.

Theres a couple yards around here that have them. Ones about 1 hour away he did have a 44 in a 2wd LWB MJ and a 35 in a 89 4x4 MJ. I doubt he knows its a 44 I can call and get prices if you want and then PM you the location. Also one about 1/2 hour from me that had a few 2wd I never looked under.

I would appreciate it

Thank you

What we all thought was that this mechanic would not be competent enough to do the gear swap for you.

Find a reputable 4x4 shop in your area to do it, assuming you go that route. They should know how to do a proper gear setup.

A complete, new in box set for d30 and Chryco 8.25 just sold on NAXJA for $50. I would post over there for Wanted or in the regional section... someone is sure to have something and be willing/able to help you out.

you do know your only about an hour away from harrys u pull it. i may be going there this weekend (about 1 hr 40 min. for me) they do have comanche's there somtimes. everytime i've been there they have had at least 1.

i'll look for an axle for you and let you know what they have.

I still need a new ring and pinion gear reguardless who puts it in. Anyone got one or know where to order one less that $170 ?

I paid less than that for a complete(except drums) 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 with 3.55.

If you're not paying much for a gear setup, then it probably isn't getting done correctly, and you're just gonna end up burning up another set of gears. The D35 is NOT worth it.

Find an 8.25 or a D44 at the yard. Pull the cover. Are any of the teeth missing, pitted, or worn? Is there a lot of play? If the answer to either question is yes, that axle will need some work. If not, that's a decent start.

The D35 is an ok axle. Some guys have beat the tar out of them, and still got 200k miles. Some guys DD it and need a new one before 100k. The issue, like the Peugeot transmission, is that if you're going to be spending the money anyway, why not upgrade instead of just replacing with another similar piece?

My $.02.

I would never ever put any more money in a Dana 35 than what some RTV and gear lube costs. There are several far better options out there that are plentiful, of course like most things the best axles are the rarest.

The axles you should look for are: (In this order IMO)

87-92 MJ D44

86 MJ AMC 20

87-89 XJ D44

96+ Ford Explorer 8.8

97-01 XJ 8.25 (I could be wrong about 97, it is what year they switched to the 29 spline shafts)

The first two are direct swaps (besides having the driveshaft shortened, but that can be done relatively inexpensively by a local driveshaft shop) The others will require slightly more work, but not much. Wheel spacers are a good idea on the 8.8.

Personally I would trust the used OEM set up axle at the junkyard over a job a questionable mechanic did. Differentials are relatively low failure items (except for the D35 :no: ) So as long as there isn't something obviously wrong with it I'd just toss it in and comanche.gif

That said I'm probably going to go through my D44 this summer, there was some rust in my diff and I don't trust it. Plus I just got through my manual transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials class and I want to set up some gears just 'cause I can :thumbsup:

ok I'm convinced to pull my truck from mechanics and put in a d44.. First i would like to ask some questions.

does the dana 44 have to match the gear ratio of the front axle?

does dana make a 44 for diffrent vehicles, or is it just a danna 44 for all vehicles?

this guy i was talking to from craigslist told me he has dana 44s with an 8 lug pattern? whats that all about....

what is the average cost of the dana 44?

which drive shaft do i use for this upgrade? I know its shorter, but which one do i use?

and finally, anyone got one for sale?

sorry about this but its hard doing all of this myself with none of my friends really into jeep,s let alone comanches, 2 jobs, and a 3.5 year old.

thanks for any help and I'm sure ill have more questions

paul

Just called the one he said $350.00 for either one plus the old one. I am pretty sure the one was a 44 but i am not as good at spotting this stuff as some and since I have one I didnt look real hard at it. I will PM you the info if you want and I will try to get to the other yard next week and see what he has in person.

ok I'm convinced to pull my truck from mechanics and put in a d44.. First i would like to ask some questions.

does the dana 44 have to match the gear ratio of the front axle?

Yes, your ratio needs to be the same in both axles, whatever they are.

does dana make a 44 for diffrent vehicles, or is it just a danna 44 for all vehicles?

They've been making the 44 since the 40's, according to Wiki. There are some front 44's, which would take a ton of work to fit your application. There are also some 6-lug 44's in the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport. If you went that route, you'd need to swap in a front from a... Grand Wagoneer, I think. 6-lug as well.

this guy i was talking to from craigslist told me he has dana 44s with an 8 lug pattern? whats that all about....

Think those were on heavy-duty pickups.

what is the average cost of the dana 44?

Depends. Some people think they're sitting on gold and ask accordingly, other people just want it out of their garage. An ad I just saw here in Boise wants $200 for a set of D44's, front and rear, but he doesn't say what they're from.

which drive shaft do i use for this upgrade? I know its shorter, but which one do i use?

I believe that you could just get yours shortened - Don, want to chime in here?

and finally, anyone got one for sale?Nope, sorry - looking for a decent one myself.

sorry about this but its hard doing all of this myself with none of my friends really into jeep,s let alone comanches, 2 jobs, and a 3.5 year old.Good luck - just keep your eye out.

thanks for any help and I'm sure ill have more questions

paul

Just called the one he said $350.00 for either one plus the old one. I am pretty sure the one was a 44 but i am not as good at spotting this stuff as some and since I have one I didnt look real hard at it. I will PM you the info if you want and I will try to get to the other yard next week and see what he has in person.

where is this?