Head gasket preference?

So I'm replacing a leaky head gasket on my brother's 4.2L CJ7, he buys a gasket kit from Carquest that has an all metal head gasket. I'm not too keen on it actually and prefer the other type with the embedded metal rings but only because that's all I've used. Are the complete metal gaskets okay?

i used the mopar mls metal gasket last year when i swapped to a ho head on my truck.no leaks and was a few thousands thinner than the stocker for a shade more compresion(not that i really felt it).most newer vehicles all have some kind of metal headgaskets on them from the factory anymore.doesn't mean they're any better or worse than paper gaskets.

Ive not done a head job yet on a 4L but i have used everything from solid copper to composite styles with metal rings and even NO gaskets at all with just comp rings and o-rings. In my opinion i would stay away from any solid metal gaskets unless you have aftermarket head bolts or studs placed into a solid block. The layered metalic ones are great but again don't hold to flex in head and block like the composite or tin-cored fabric ones. If i had steel block and heads id go with the layered metal with (like mentioned above) the proper sealant. The copper coat is the bomb, still gives a little when flexing without creating breaks in the sealant, but be sure to coat it a bunch of times before you install the head gasket. I normally use somewhere around 5-10 coats on gasket, but i do dust the stuff on for each coat. enouph to just cover last coat but do not make it run. Oh and i use a spray type sealer. When you install the gasket make sure you don't touch any of the preasure ports when handleing, like cyl sealing rings or water passages and oil ports. and be sure to clean the crap out of your head gasket before spraying any sealer onto it. I use alluminum brightener to be honest, works great and you can see it work as you clean, just don't get it on your hands. I'm sure there are other ways to clean the gasket that will work the same really. GL with your head job and for f-sake make sure all your surfaces are clean as can be, doesn't matter what gasket or sealants you use if things are dirty they won't stick. :wrench: