Maintenance required light

I haven't had my MJ for very long but the "maintenance required" light has been on since I got it. It runs great but just wondering how I would go about finding the reason it is on or turning it off...?

It is set by a smoke colored timer under your dash. Remove the timer, the light goes out and stays out. It will be to right side under the lower dash. look to the right of the steering column. You can see the plastic gears inside that make the timer work. Unplug it, grab a cold drink, call it a day.

By your sig I see you have the 1991 which means the light is controlled by your ECU. If you are lucky enough to have access to a DRB II scanning tool you can turn it off. Many that do not have access to the DRB just remove the bulb unless of course you have your vehicle inspected for smog or safety as the techs will test the warning lights at start up. Ay least thats what they do out here in the San Francisco Bay Area. :fs1:

I don't have access to the scanning tool and am not checked for emissions. Do I remove the bulb from behind?

Just remove the dash bezel and there are four screws that hold in the light covers and instrument panel, remove them and you have access from the rear.

By your sig I see you have the 1991 which means the light is controlled by your ECU. If you are lucky enough to have access to a DRB II scanning tool you can turn it off. Many that do not have access to the DRB just remove the bulb unless of course you have your vehicle inspected for smog or safety as the techs will test the warning lights at start up. Ay least thats what they do out here in the San Francisco Bay Area. :fs1:

had mine smogged about 6 wks ago -- tech at the jeep dealer in fort bragg spent 25 mins trying to figure out why the light did not come on (or course it was missing) -- he finally went to the service mgr for advise -- he could not figure it out either -- they finally gave up and because all else was good -- they passed it .wee.gif

I don't have access to the scanning tool and am not checked for emissions. Do I remove the bulb from behind?

Just remove the dash bezel and there are four screws that hold in the light covers and instrument panel, remove them and you have access from the rear.

Six scews.

The light is turned on by a timer, and basically means it's time to replace the oxygen sensor.

had mine smogged about 6 wks ago -- tech at the jeep dealer in fort bragg spent 25 mins trying to figure out why the light did not come on (or course it was missing) -- he finally went to the service mgr for advise -- he could not figure it out either -- they finally gave up and because all else was good -- they passed it .wee.gif

That is how I wish my story ended, but alas the smog techs out here weren't as forgiving. When they failed me, I lucked out and found a DRB II scanner on ebay, turned off the light and I was passed after a second fee :fs1: . I think some folks here are confused between the HO Maintenance required lights and the Renix module that is no longer available.

I think some folks here are confused between the HO Maintenance required lights and the Renix module that is no longer available.

They are. 91-92 HOs have no timer module, the timing is done internally in the ECU. To turn the MR lamp off you can go to the stealer and he'll charge you one man hour's time to stick the DRB-II on and turn it off, find your own DRB like Joe did, or remove the bulb like I did. :cheers:

I guess SoCal is more forgiving than NorCal. I took that bulb out when I got the truck in '08. I've had it smogged three times and no one ever said anything about the light not going on.

Thanks Johnny now I am really bummed :cry: Am I the only guy in California that has to deal with smog Natzi's? I would love to find a different shop around here to smog my truck, I tried three with the same results. If I find a SF Bay Area shop that doesn't look at the lights at startup I will certainly take note for others.