Project Croc Hunter '92 MJ

back in the late 80's early 90's con-fer made some extra metal rockers for xj's. they attached to the pinch seam & rocker with screws and stuck out a 1/2in or so. they worked ok for scraping along/against rocks under the rig but any kind of hit would bend them. dr side is a little bent in this pic.

after removing them a few times to straighten then out i finally landed hard and crushed both my rocker&extra metal far enough i couldn't open my door.

ended up crushing the rocker,door, and floor (t-bone crush points) under the drivers feet. had to do a trail fix with a sledge hammer just to get my door to shut.

a couple yrs later +/- i replaced it with a 2x6. if i were to do it again (on another rig) i might keep the 2x6 under the doors instead of cutting them... but the inch & a half more clearance with the doors cut is nice.

and by all means i'm not saying/telling you what to do but extra metal doesn't really work and your rocker is already gone. just giving you some ideas. .02

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you got me looking at old pic's. thanks

this is the pic i was looking for

the 1st pic was a yr earlier... long arm & snorkel now/then... the snorkel didn't last long cause

with the long arm i kept ripping out the flex tube (up under the fender) from the box to the snorkel.

Thanks a lot for the pictures Kernel, that looks like a great and sturdy solution to my problem with those rockers. I'm gonna have to look around here for some 2x6 metal, and see what I can fab up on there. Right now I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do about shifter linkage bc I have a TJ nv3550 on there, and the clocking of the t-case is a bit higher. So XJ linkage brackets don't work, I'm thinking of getting Novak's cable shifter

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Kernel, I have looked at the one canvas top I think it's called the softopper, I really like it. And the rockers thats a really good idea, I was thinking of trying to add some thicker metal on there, I gotta do the floor boards and the rockers real soon bc they're getting bad quick

If you're still looking for a Softopper, here's a tan one for a 6 foot bed.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pt ... 82074.html

• 3 months later...

Hello gents, sorry for taking so long to update, I've been busy at work getting ready to get out of the Corps.

I've done a lot of stuff to the comanche, I replaced the bed with a rust free one I found locally, rattle canned it Sand rustoleum, and built a MJ bed trailer out of my old rusty bed. Here's some pics, let me know what you think

Thanks Exxon Valdez, Alexia it does have the front driveshaft in it, it is completely 4wd. I will take some more pics soon and try to remember and post some of the other stuff I've done to it. I put 4WD emblems on it off a honda passport, I just like the way they look on the tan paint. Had to get rid of the old crown vic rims bc they were too narrow at 6" and they were making my tires bulge in the center of the tread. other than that I'm just enjoying driving the truck around, it drives like new and gets lots of looks haha Latest thing I'm working on is a new to me 8.8 with 4.10's and LSD, putting a 02+ explorer cast aluminum diff cover with cooling fins on it.

• 4 months later...

Some pics of the trip from Florida to Northwestern Montana in the ol' Comanche. The truck made it without a glitch, at near max tow capacity and payload. Towing a loaded 6x12 enclosed trailer, going uphill in CO was troublesome sometimes down to 3rd gear and the pedal to the metal. The disk brake 8.8 helped a ton going down hill. Averaged 13.5 mpg going 60-65 over 3200 miles going through Yellowstone. I've had a set of different tires/wheels on for a few weeks, Dodge Charger 17" steelies and stock rubicon BFG's. I found the tires used with ~15k miles on them and they are really quiet on the road. Here are some pics of the trip. Looking for a job too if anyone has an opening.

Thanks Exxon, that's the look I was going for bc that's what I use it for. If you're ever in Montana you're welcome to stop by our shop, I haven't learned about all the good trails around here yet but I'm getting there.

Thanks BMX I searched and searched for these wheels for a while and didn't find any. One day I decided to post a "wanted" ad on CL for them and someone called me that same day with a set for sale. You should try it, I was in NC then too.

• 4 months later...

The truck has undergone some other modifications, added an XJ 20 gal auxiliary fuel tank with a factory steel skid plate, modified the exhaust to go around the fuel tank and installed a used and rebuilt by me Warn M8000 sporting Viking Offroad 3/8" x 80' Winchline.

i love your build, its awesome.

i get to drive my comanche to mass and back to colorado to pick up the rest of my belongings at my parents house this up coming summer! i can't wait to road trip the thing across the country haha

It was actually easy, I used some rubber stripping between the tank and the frame and the tank and skidplate. Then hard mounted the skidplate to the frame, welding two 1/2" bolts on each side with a nut on the top and bottom side so the tank won't get squished.

• 8 years later...