Rear 8.8 conversion

alright boys, I fragged something in my dana 35 rear in my 86 manche.

I can get an exploder rear no problem, but I wanted to look over the writeup before buying anything, does anyone have a link to one of the articles on the swap?

also, what are the gear ratios that could be in my truck?

thanks

3.54 paired with 3.55 is perfectly normal. It's only 0.3% off. There's usually a greater difference than that between your tires front to rear. :D

thats what I was thinking.

Figured I might as well say what the damage was: 7 busted teeth, in a group of 3 and 4. The pinion was a little chewed up as well. The worst thing is I have NO idea when this happened.

So I'm gonna try to grab a drum 8.8 and see what I can do spending as little as I can.

I know what went wrong. You were running a Dana 35! I blew one up on the way to work one day and I was only running 30" tires. They just spontaneously explode like that.

There's nothing wrong with the drummed 8.8. It's just as strong as the disk version. Just make sure it's from an Explorer/Mountaineer.

I know what went wrong. You were running a Dana 35! I blew one up on the way to work one day and I was only running 30" tires. They just spontaneously explode like that.

There's nothing wrong with the drummed 8.8. It's just as strong as the disk version. Just make sure it's from an Explorer/Mountaineer.

hah yea this thing is punier than the 7.5" 10 bolt that was in my brothers ls1 camaro, and that thing was a pos. I run 8.8s in my mustangs so I know their a good rear so I'm pretty comforatable putting one in, plus picking up the trac-lok can't hurt either.

I also discovered a broken leaf spring when I was taking 35 out today, what's the story on replacing these, are there any junkyard springs that bolt in and give me a little lift or anything?

thanks

pete did a big write up about leaf springs...

you can use explorer leafs as well.. just mix and match the broken ones with explorer ones i would imagine.

ill see if i can find pete's thread on it and link it here in a minute.

EDIT: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... af+springs

that MIGHT be it... not sure..

I feel silly asking this, but I didnt actually see in that thread if you gained any lift. I saw that you thought you may have lost some, but nothing afterwards. Ironically, it's the top leaf that I broke, any ideas where I could get one?

JCwhittney or whatever-the-fawk they're called sells replacement stock packs. No idea if they are any good.

It's that or the junkyard.

Or order some nice alcans...

The big reason for not using the entire Explorer pack alone is that it will lower even a 2wd MJ.

I don't understand why you would want to move the shackle mount location? That part is just fine. It's the location of the center pin in the pack that pushes the MJ axle forward in the MJ wheel well.