chevy engine swap question

My 4.0 has 201k on it and is running a bit rough so Ive been looking into swaps. I considered a small block chevy, b.c I have a rebuild lined up(couple thousand dollars worth of parts in boxes) good for about a 350hp(crank) motor, that I was going to put in my Camaro, but Ive decided to go fuel injected with that car.

Here is my question I was looking at advance adapters SBC engine mounts and it says you need a 3inch lift to do the swap. Why is this? Is it an oil pan clearance issue or what?

I was hoping to only lift my truck 2inches, would that clear or am I going to have to break down and get a lift kit first. I'm starting to think this is more work than its worth and I may just build another 4.0. I am a chevy guy so I have tons of parts laying around to keep it maintained. That is my primary reason for considering the v8. Having two engines worth of parts is comforting.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

Oil pan clearance is a major issue. 3" of lift lets you run a SBC on the street, but if you have a flexy suspension and take it off-road where you'll get the front suspension all twisted up ... more is better.

BTW -- a friend of mine has (unless he's sold it by now) a Cherokee with a SBC in it. It's a VERY tight fit, and you will definitely have cooling problems.

builder a stroker!

the price of building a stroker and rebuilding the 4.o back to stock are almost the same.

then you get the power, the torque, the reliability of a fresh rebuild annnnnd you can say u did something different.

Then you can let me know how it went so I know who to talk to when i do mine lol!!!

what size chebby u lookin at?

I have an xj with the 4.3 in it, and I plan on doing something similar to Pong. It seems like a tight fit.. but really it isnt that bad, at least the 4.3 has more room then the 4.0. The mounts seem pretty easy to make. I am going to pull one side at a time of the xj, and have a buddy with some tech skills plot it out on some cad software. Keep in mind if you swap that v-8 you better upgrade some other parts :brows:

what size chebby u lookin at?

the motor i have laying in my yard on a pallet is a run of the mill pre emissions(~1970) 350 2 bolt main, its going to need to be bored so i know it will get punched .030 over. i was thinking i might stroke if the crank looks as bad as the old cam did, but then i would also need a new biggger cam than the one ive got in the boxes now.

I thought about doing a Stroked 4.0 it would be another engine to add to my belt. Ive done 3 SBCs already and I'm only 20, so they are what I'm really used to.

As far as upgrades, what do you mean. I'm guessing the dana35 couldnt handle the power? i was planning a ford 8.8 anyways if i do indeed need to lift it i would just spring over it and swap the 8.8 then, i can get them at my local yard for $60. would a 231/ax15 handle it, ive been piecing the parts for that already as well

This is starting to become more expensive the more i think about it, heh. the motor will be built regardless for my camaro, i was thinking when i get tired of it in there, and want to step to the 500range the weakling might be nice in the jeep.

you should see my parts shed tho, i could build a few cars with the stuff i have in there.

My SBC sat just fine when my truck was stock height. I even took it off road a few times and never had any oil pan problems (until I dropped her down on a rock, but that is another story). But I also used circle track solid type motor mounts made by Allstar performance so my motor sits a little higher in the engine bay. Cooling is kinda an issue but I am working the bugs out of it. But hey I drive my truck to my wheeling spot, wheel it and drive it home and the only time I really had a high temp scare is when I did a water crossing and forgot to turn my fan back on. :oops: I love my SBC powered Manche. jamminz.gif :chillin:

Be careful building a SBC with a 2 bolt main. Many have I seen no longer.

I'm planning on running the miladon(sp?) 4 bolt conversion caps from what i hear they are stronger than a factory 4.

radiator in the bed sounds good heh isnt that how the baja kids do it.