Suspension feeling a little bumpy....

Hi Guys,

I am in need of your knowledge again,

I have been trying to improve my MJ suspension feeling, make it a little softer, I starded replacing the fallowing components.

First thing I did is put a 3/4 of an inche coil spacer on the front in order to level the car because it was a little lower on the fornt when i bought it 8 months ago, then 6 Months ago I replaced the 5 shock absorvers with new ones, one for each tire and the one on the front suspension, and also replaced track bar, 5 months ago I replacede the stock sway bar with a ZJ V8 Sway bar with new bushings, 4 months Ago i bought the links from the sway bar, and installed new ones on wich I have a question.

When I removed the old links from my MJ the car the truck lisfted about 1 inch from tire to fender automatically as soon as I loosen up the bolts, is this normal? when I put the new ones I had to sit 3 people on the hood of my car in order to make it go lower and install the new OEM links, did I do it correctly or should i buy 3/4 of an inch longer links to put in to my suspension? i

Since yestarday, I noticed that my when i got my truck to speed over 50 M/H, velocity and then put it in neutral gear it started to feel a little shaky on the suspension, would any body have any idea why this would be happening?

Is there any thing else i need to change in order to make my suspension feel smoother?

Thank you for your help as always.

:huh???:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for our feed back, I really appreciate it, I think I will be getting XJ 92+ sway bar links since they are easier for me to get a hold of.

Regarding the tires I am runnng are General grabbers AT2 all terrain, 30X9.5 R15, Tire preasure 38Psi,

The Control arm bushings are new I replaced them together with the control arms.

Today I noticed that the vibration i am feeling is only in neutral position, if I am going on 4th gear and accelerating I don't get vibration but as soon as stop accelerating and put in neutral position it starts go vibrate, could it be the drive shaft? how can i check if my drive shaft is in good condition?

Thank you in advanced.

There is no reason in the world why 3/4" lift spacers, which on an old truck probably barely returned it to stock height, should require 2-inch or even 1-inch longer sway bar links. More likely, the sway bar is rusty and is binding up in the bushings. I would remove the sway bar, clean and sand it smooth where it rides in the bushings, paint it, spray silicone on the bushings, and reinstall.

He said he put in a v8 ZJ sway bar with new bushings 4 months ago.

I'm wondering if the ZJ bar is what's making his links too short. Are the ZJ links longer?

That's another point. I assume the ZJ bar was swapped in because it's larger in diameter. Which bushings did you use? If you used the original MJ bushings with a fatter ZJ sway bar, the bar can't rotate like it's supposed to and that could explain why the suspension feels bumpier.

don't bother. get a set of WJ control arms and get younger bushings AND a much better design (both the bushings and the arms themselves) :thumbsup:

So, if I pull a set off a junkyard WJ, they'll just bolt right up? Sorry if that seems obvious, but suspension work is new to me.

Hi,

Today I changed the links on my sway bar, I bought new ons for 92+ cherokee and it feels better and softer.

And the bushings i used when I replaced my sway bar were new bushings from a ZJ not from an MJ, so they were the correct ones.

And when I put 3/4 of an inch I typed wrong, what I have are 1 3/4" inch.

Going back to my drive shaft question how can I check if its in good condition?

Thanks.

don't bother. get a set of WJ control arms and get younger bushings AND a much better design (both the bushings and the arms themselves) :thumbsup:

So, if I pull a set off a junkyard WJ, they'll just bolt right up? Sorry if that seems obvious, but suspension work is new to me.

info and photos are in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28725

• 1 year later...

I have been absent a couple of months but I am getting back in to this.

I put the zj sway bar wich is larger diameter but i also made sure to put correct bushings on it, actually I had to go twice to the store the first ones they sold me where for thinner sway bar and they couldnt fit so I had to go and get the correct ones.

The shocks I have are stock shocks I don't know part number or size since I just went to replace them at a tire shop, only thing I know is they are duralast.

Tires are 30x9.5 r15 General grabbers, with around 36psi, the upa are from wj with new bushings, the lca are aftermarket round tube.

When putting new Polyurethane bushings on the leaf springs should I just burn the rubber bushing on the leaf spring and leave the metal housing there and introduce the poly busihng or should I just remove the whole bushing togeteher with the round metal housing and introduce only the poly bushing?

After a couple of monhts of usemy rinde is a little softer on the front but the back needs a little improvement and since i havent replaced the leaf bushings I think its a good time to do it.

Thanks for your help