Urethane windshield sealant

Does anybody know if you can buy urethane sealant in a flat, strip like form rather than in a tube? If so, where can you buy it at? I thought I read somewhere that they make it in a strip form but I am not having any luck finding out if they do. I am going to pull a good used windshield from an junkyard MJ or XJ for my MJ & I plan on installing it myself & I think that it would be easier to apply strips of sealant down rather than use a tube in a caulking gun.

Eeek. Unless you've done windshields forget it. Removal usually breaks the windshield. I would call safelite or another windshield place. The XJ is so common that the glass is really cheap new and installed. By the time you buy the windshield, gas to get to yard, glue, and suction cups to install you would be way over having a mobile guy come to your house.

:agree:

I guess I'll pile on, with apologies. There's no truck job that I won't

tackle with confidence, except a windshield R&R and a paint job that

I want to look good. But, I will wish you success!

In answer to your question, no. The sealant is in a tube which gets laid down in a good thick bead to provide leveling and sealing as the metal is not perfect even off the manufacturing line. Windshield removal is extremely difficult unless you have the correct tools, if you try to do it without the correct tools you will crack the window and it will be useless to you. I would recommend if you're going to do this that you get the proper tools for removing and cutting through the sealant then practice on your truck that will be getting the new glass. This way it's coming out anyways so you will be able to see how difficult it will be.

i would have to agree with everyone that it is easier, quicker, and cheaper to have someone do it for you. but if you really want some input, i have removed and reinstalled a windshield (front and rear) on a dodge neon when i was going to school for collision repair/refinishing. we didnt have the right tools either, considering even in a bodyshop, they still call in the glass companies. we just needed to do it so we could do a roof job.

if you decide to do it yourself, you NEED to take your time. and expect to get a good workout in your arms. we took MIG wire and poked through the urethane in a corner of the windshield to be removed, wrapped both ends of the wire in vise grips, screwdrivers, or anything you might have that you can keep a good grip on. slowly but surely we made our way around in a seasawing motion. be very careful once you get towards the dashboard as the MIG wire will easily cut right through the plastic. just make sure you have the angle right. once all the way around, carefully remove the glass. to reinstall, (the answer to your question) as far as i know, you can only get the urethane in a tube. but even in a tube, applying the urethane is probably the easiest part of the entire procedure. just make a bead all the way around the windshield flange and spread it flat with a brush so you cover the entire surface where the glass needs to mate with the flange. MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAN BEFORE LAYING DOWN THE URETHANE! then carefully lay the glass in place. in the neon, there were little plastic stoppers that held it in the right spot. once its in, slap (yes, slap...with an open palm) the glass outward at the edges to get it to set in completely. pressing on it is just asking for an accident.

...still think you should save yourself the mess and stress and just call someone in to do it, but if not, we would love to hear how it goes :popcorn:

(and see pics)

I worked at a mobile glass company in dallas for a couple of years (installed windshields all day long on site for 2 years :ack: ) it is a sh***y job. I replaced my comanche windshield about 4 months ago and it cost me 98.00 for a new glass, i just got done rebuilding a 99 eclipse that i bought and also put new windsheild in it last week, that cost about 110.00 (glass shop wanted 250.00 installed) my point is if you want to do it yourself go buy a NEW glass and tackle it yourself, don't waste your time trying to get an old one out. I have a couple years experiance and i still broke a cherokee glass even with the dash out......

BTW: there is something like what you were looking for, ive only seen it in round form about 1/4 to 3/8 thick. it is only used on installs where you have no old adhesive left on the windshield pinch weld. if you really want to do it yourself go to autozone or equivelant auto store buy a "windshield knife" not very expensive it's a L shaped knife with a short cable and handle for pulling, call your local salvage yard and ask if they sell NEW glass ( a lot of yards can order new glass and get it overnight) usually they can get the glue too, about 6.00 a tube is what i pay. then have at it

oh ya i almost forgot... I have tackled a few where the glass has been replaced before and they used too much glue. I really really hate those :rant:

if you do it yourself let me know maybe i couple give you some tips on getting it out and getting the new glass to seal properly

I am going to pull a good used windshield from an junkyard MJ or XJ for my MJ & I plan on installing it myself & I think that it would be easier to apply strips of sealant down rather than use a tube in a caulking gun.

I got my last windshield from pick n pull. It was my first time changing one. Took quite a bit of effort getting the replacement one out. Cutting the sealant from the inside was the hardest part.

The nice thing about doing it yourself is if your truck needs extra tlc that a window shop probably won't do.

Took me two tries getting a proper seal on my jeep. All and all I'm glad I did myself.

Cost vs effort = pay to have it done.

If you must, the windshield knife is only good for getting bad windshield out. It will break the good glass.

For getting good ones out , I use bicycle cable with 2 or 3 strands taken out to give the cable some "bite."

Suggest doing this in a garage or on a warm sunny day, the heat makes cutting old sealant easier.

NAPA should sell it, and I think Advanced Auto does too. I'd also look at Car Quest. I just did a '98 Cherokee. A bit different as it has the rubber seal around it. I used the sealant in the tube though. The windshield on it was busted, shatered and a big hole in it. I had a lot of work to pop out the roof and cowl. I bought a windshiled from a junkyard for $75. I think PnP are $30.

Tom