Cold Air Intake

can i get a straight answer

not a presidential debate

and whats this last post???

huh

straight answers:

-the stock unit isn't all that bad.

-aftermarket intakes are not a panacea of performance.

-don't do it because you might save money. do it because you think it's cool, or it looks better, or whatever.

-individual results may vary.

thanks pete :bowdown:

ans sheesh, why even bring it up if it isnt in his mj? :dunno:

Because it was brought up in the post, and he wanted to know. Apparently you wouldn't be interested in an air intake with his MPG claim?

Rob L.

so i already have one?

Your factory intake is already a "cold air"

Even on newer XJs without the "cold air" it doesn't really make a difference.

If you want a "cone intake" go for it, but don't get a K&N or other crapola, get something quality. K&N flows better by sacrificing filtration, amsoil for example won't.

• 2 weeks later...

like mj mike did,

I got the rusty's cone filter adapter 30$ the I got some card board and cut, shaped, and taped together a "splash" shield and took it to a HVAC company. For 25$ they took a piece of 16 guage aluminuim(sp) and bent it into shape. Then I tok some of that door edge guard stuff, its like 5$ for 2 doors worth, and wraped the splash shield so I would get cut on it while working on the truck.

• 4 weeks later...

My vote is for the filter in the cowl as i have a setup like this on my tj its called a MCAI but they go alittle further into detail than that one.It seals the whole cowl compartment you cut your vent in the middle out another filter goes there and then a air damn/ram air vent lookin :dunno: thing goes on top of that.But they do use a red tubing thats pretty flexable kinda like a radiator hose type feel.I have heard neg about using metal tubes all they do is get hot but you can also wrap them with header wrap.My jeep sounds better gained 1 to 2 mpg and seems to have slight bit of power.You can only hear it thru the vents when it first starts up and the colder it is the louder it is it disappears after a few miles.But sounds really good and your most noticable diff is on the hwy about 60 and you push it to the floor.I wish i had seen that erics xj write up if you have seen mine you can add to his what mine has for a little more $ and be in one pretty cheap when you consider mine sells for $350ish i believe.Is it worth $350? no but making youe own for under $200 yes!