Cold Air Intake

waste of money in my opnion. your not really getting cold air, your getting the same warm air that the stock filter gets, just with a new tube, cone filter, and maybe a shield.

this isnt the write up i saw, just found this one. same concept tho, the writeup i read said a little noise increase from sucking air but died down quickly after start up. this moves your intake up away from water, and gets your real cold air. just food for thought

http://www.thor4x4.com/html/xj_cowl_induction.html

edit: found it http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

do some research on your own and find one you like. k/n, afe, etc.

when i first got my xj i bought a rustys intake adapter. 2 weeks after having it on my eletric fan cut my tranny line and soaked my filter. didnt come with a shield and didnt have any performance gains. same ol warm engine compartment air my factory box was getting, waste of money and no protection for the filter. i later got a AFE factory style filter and opened the lower hole on my factory box up to allow more air flow. again no real performance gains, just a good re-usable filter. but i beat spending $250 for the same results

Butt ugly and looks stupid IMNSHO though Sam. But fine if your MJ is an Amphicar in heavy seas wannabe. :yes:

amphicar01.jpg

Crusty's POS intake tube is metal. It does a fine job heating the air up much higher than the stock system does.

^^^ seem still suck hot air because its still close to engine where there alot of hot air. even there no heat shield. :dunno: but look sweet setup up. I keep want make one for my subaru since i love low-mid end TQ from my subaru so i even want more tq end. :thumbsup:

snorkel would be best and like their look for truck. my opinion

i used the "build your own" Spectre kit from autozone for my avenger. It cost about 75 with everything.

That's not a cold air intake, just a $75 autozone intake. Unless you get the source outside the engine bay its still gonna suck hot air from inside the engine bay.

There's actually already setup the perfect little hole right in front of the airbox, connect that up with the airbox inlet and it will suck cool air from behind the headlight.

Sir Sam

A snorkel is the best cold air intake you can ever get.

hornbrod

Butt ugly and looks stupid IMNSHO though Sam. But fine if your MJ is an Amphicar in heavy seas wannabe.

:agree:

btm24

Rustys offers a tube kit so all you would need is some type of cone air filter either K&N or any other. its like 30 bucks

:agree: :thumbsup:

my setup rustys tube W/ K&N filter & i made a aluminum splash Gard.

i used the "build your own" Spectre kit from autozone for my avenger. It cost about 75 with everything.

That's not a cold air intake, just a $75 autozone intake. Unless you get the source outside the engine bay its still gonna suck hot air from inside the engine bay. Those pictures were from a build thread on the avenger forum when i was putting it together so its not my completed cai. They just show the most detail and serve as an example.

There's actually already setup the perfect little hole right in front of the airbox, connect that up with the airbox inlet and it will suck cool air from behind the headlight.

actually where the stock airbox was taken out, there was a space above the grill and below the hood where the air horn stuck out of the air box. i placed the filter in that place for that reason.

I wouldnt pull air from around the headlamp because they are designed to produce heat. Due to aerodynamics, the best place to pull air from is towards the bottom of the bumper where most fog lamps are placed on vehicles. There is low pressure air there while you are driving and you will pull in the coolest air you possibly can there. I know thats not ideal for offroad trucks though. This has increased my fuel economy by 4-6MPG hwy.

That's not a cold air intake, just a $75 autozone intake. Unless you get the source outside the engine bay its still gonna suck hot air from inside the engine bay. Those pictures were from a build thread on the avenger forum when i was putting it together so its not my completed cai. They just show the most detail and serve as an example.

actually where the stock airbox was taken out, there was a space above the grill and below the hood where the air horn stuck out of the air box. i placed the filter in that place for that reason.

I wouldnt pull air from around the headlamp because they are designed to produce heat. Due to aerodynamics, the best place to pull air from is towards the bottom of the bumper where most fog lamps are placed on vehicles. There is low pressure air there while you are driving and you will pull in the coolest air you possibly can there. I know thats not ideal for offroad trucks though. This has increased my fuel economy by 4-6MPG hwy.

I leave the "headlamp because they are designed to produce heat" debate for another day, and pose this question.

Which is hotter, the back of a headlight when its on or the back of a radiator and AC condenser?

This whole discussion is moot though, I'm betting you would be hard pressed to show any real difference between a true cold air intake, and the factory cold air intake found on the renix setups(or for that matter the engine bay sucker of the 97+ XJs.

This has increased my fuel economy by 4-6MPG hwy.

:shake: pipe dream. if you had that big of a increase your factory filter had to of been extremely dirty

i was getting 27-29 prior to the swap. ive been driving with this setup for over 2 years now and ive been getting anywhere from 30-34 mpg on long trips. so sorry, i guess that means 1-7mpg hwy. call it a pipe dream but your not the one crunching the numbers and reaping the benefits. why would i lie? the air box out of the factory on my car was NOT designed for fuel economy, it was designed for comfort.

This has increased my fuel economy by 4-6MPG hwy.

:shake: pipe dream. if you had that big of a increase your factory filter had to of been extremely dirty

i was getting 27-29 prior to the swap. ive been driving with this setup for over 2 years now and ive been getting anywhere from 30-34 mpg on long trips. so sorry, i guess that means 1-7mpg hwy. call it a pipe dream but your not the one crunching the numbers and reaping the benefits. why would i lie? the air box out of the factory on my car was NOT designed for fuel economy, it was designed for comfort.

Designed for comfort?

You must drive downhill with a tailwind a lot.

now mr brando, i wasnt implying that you were lying. just hard to believe that 7 mpg gain could be had with a warm air intake, and with a spectre filter at that. but if your getting repeating numbers it must work, or you constantly do your math wrong :hmm: :D either way :chillin:

RE: 30-34 mpg on long trips

Please help me here, as I would really like to get anything remotely close

to that kind of mileage.

What is your gearing? Under what conditions do you achieve this (speed,

road type, weather, etc., windows up or down, tailgate up or down, etc.)

What tires do you run, and at what pressure?

Over how much total distance have you achieved that mileage? 100 miles? 1000 miles?

How are you measuring miles? Your odometer or the posted road signs?

What else have you done to your truck to promote fuel efficiency?

Do you have a tonneau cover on the bed? Anything else to reduce drag?

I run my truck up and down the interstate, 700 miles at a time, 10-15 times

per year, and I'm grateful to get 22-24 actual mpg. I will re-route my air supply

any way you recommend, and will even hang dry ice in front of it, to get

34 mpg. With one stipulation: it must be fully reversible. Thanks!!!