dealership rant (not Jeep)

mjeff87

We have an extended warranty on my wife's car ('02 Kia Spectra), so I don't touch it lest I void said warranty. It kills me, but she gets ALL her service work, including scheduled maintenece (has to be followed exactly as is written) done at one of two different dealerships. At the last service (75K) they recommended she replace the air filter...for $35 :eek: so I bought a filter and did it. Open the hood and notice they broke off one of the corners of the airbox :headpop: OK, I sack up and fix that, no real big deal. Yesterday, she comes back in the house and says the car threw a CEL, and she was gonna take it down to get it looked at (typical diagnostic fee is $75). I tell her to take it to Autobone and get it checked for free, which she did. Threw a code for multiple misfire, and #3 misfire, so I got a set of plugs and set about changing them last night after work. Pop the hood to take off the big stoopid plastic engine cover, and notice one of the corners isn't secured.....got it off and found the corner bracket unconnected, and the two bolts that hold it laying on the valve cover :wall: from previous service work. Proceed to pull the coil packs off and get the plugs out, and discover the ORIGINAL PLUGS installed :mad:....at 90K miles.

I'm sure that at least one of those service intervals included a plug change....at least the 60K one that cost $400 to do! I've got the originals, and am gonna be paying a visit to the dealership later this week, as soon as I go over all the receipts to find out which of the two dealerships I need to talk at. Oh, and did I mention they cracked the freakin' oil pan on one of the oil changes they did???? They did fix that one, but didn't admit it when they did it.

10K miles more to go, then the warranty expires, and I can start wrenching on it.....

Jeff

its alright.... my local jeep dealer didnt know what a cherokee was... i was like.. you know the boxy little SUV jeep made from 1984-2001, came in ALL different colors? had a 4.0 i6...ring a bell?

"oh the little boxy one? thats the cherokee sport... all the others are the big rounder ones...but we still make those."

uh... I'm leaving.. "want a card?" NO. I'm leaving.

Hey....is that the VARMINT I see in your avatar??? :cheers:

Jeff

Why yes it is, it became #2. I must be :nuts: ! It has been a good stand by truck for me so the 91 can be worked on. :cheers: Go to the introduce your comanche, they are both there.

its alright.... my local jeep dealer didnt know what a cherokee was... i was like.. you know the boxy little SUV jeep made from 1984-2001, came in ALL different colors? had a 4.0 i6...ring a bell?

"oh the little boxy one? thats the cherokee sport... all the others are the big rounder ones...but we still make those."

uh... I'm leaving.. "want a card?" NO. I'm leaving.

Not to mention that it's probably the most successful Jeep product ever.

Sounds like it would be cheaper just to skip the rest of the warranty.

When I bought my Wrangler the biggest Jeep dealer in town (Kahlo) wouldn't come down $300 and I told them I'd just drive across town and they'd make me the deal. Kahlo said, fine, whatever. And I bought my Jeep at Crossroads for the price I wanted.

The third Jeep dealer that I've delt with does things like order a Rubicon Wrangler and puts crome all over it, including those stupid soft crome step rails that hang like 6" below the built in diamond plate rock guards. No wonder it's still on their lot over a year later.

The only warranty work I ever had was when the screw fell out of the rotator cap arm on my way to Kokomo. The first thing they said was: "has you taken it off road?" as if that was to blame for the screw falling out. As if I had. I said to the guy, "Look, I have a Cherokee that I really take offroad- this one is really nice, has clean paint and small tires, why in the world would I take it offroad?"

I don't' know that was at the time when Jeep was voiding warranties for off road use. I don't know if they still do that or not...

Kia...

I say nothing more.

Well, none of the big 3 domestic manufacturers even came close to Kia's warranty, even if we paid extra to extend.....

I have to say, for the price-point, it's one of the best cars we've ever owned. The only unscheduled maintenece in almost 100K miles was the driverside power window motor...and that was covered under the extended warranty (happened around 70K miles). I did just put a battery in it a couple weeks ago, but only as a safety measure. I noticed it was beginning to crank a bit slowly, and we're doing some driving up north during the holidays, so I wanted a good battery.

Outside of the dealership knuckleheads, and getting bent over paying for the scheduled maintenece, we've been pleased. It'll be traded in within the next year or so, not sure what she'll want next. I secretly wish for a Rubicon, but that'll never happen :D

Jeff

I kinda saw it fromt the opposite perspective......why wouldn't a manufacturer warranty a product for 100K miles, heck, even 75K miles at least?? Nowadays, that's not an unreasonable amount of mileage (at least for the type of driving my wife and I do). Hell, that car has only been on the road for 4 years (and almost paid off, too :D ) and it already has 90K on it.....

I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but the domestic auto market fell out of my favor long ago. Lemme tell ya a story about the last car she owned, a Dodge. Nevermind, I don't have enough space to write about how lousy it was, what with it's 3/36 warranty and all..... :shake:

That's why I drive a Jeep, and a 12 year old Ford :D

Jeff

Now since we are on dealership stories... I have a couple. MY 05 2500 HD has a speed vibration at 45-50 mph before it shifts. Went to the dealer 3 seperate times for it so far. First time they rebalanced the tires. Second time they said they couldnt duplicate the conditon. Third time the told me it was cause my tires were flat spotting from sitting :hmm: Mind you the truck has a lil over 13000 miles on it and it does sit 95% of the time cause it is my tow rig/trash truck. I am going to take it to another dealer and let them look at it.. and if I get no satisfaction from them .. it is time to b*@$£ at GM

Hmmm... what if you stop accelerating between 45-50?

What if you force it to stay in the gear (make it not shift so there is no "before shifting").. does it go away at 50?

What about decelerating, does it vibe in gear coming down? What about neutral?

I would think if it was the tires speed would be thing, regardless of if you're going up, down or shifting - but it's been so long since I had a car that did the tire thing at 75-80 I can't remember if it did it coming back down.

Not that the dealerships understand these things...

[quote name=

I'm as patriotic as the next guy' date=' but the domestic auto market fell out of my favor long ago. Lemme tell ya a story about the last car she owned, a Dodge. Nevermind, I don't have enough space to write about how lousy it was, what with it's 3/36 warranty and all.....

It does it accelerating and declerating, under throttle as well. If I am towing it vibes real bad between 60 and 65, but no vibes at 40-50, and of course the dealer won't test drive it with a jeep behind it. As for the tires.. Bridgestone says.. "radials don't flat spot... especially e-rated tires, and the dealer is feeding you a line" So I am going to try and get it fixed again.