axles

A lot depends on how much you want to spend.

Dana 44 or AMC 20 out of an MJ is by far the easiest but a little hard to come by.

8.25 Chrysler is a decent choice, but the spring perches need to be moved.

My favorite by far is the Exploder 8.8. I have done three of these so far, highly recommend it.

The 8.8 really is not a bad choice especially if you can set the spring perches yourself.

Not hard, just do your home work and you'll get it done. I like to point out, If you have an MJ,

sooner or later you will learn a lot of the MJ tricks and techniques. Myself, I never thought I could swap rear

ends until I found out that it can be done with a little research and effort.

Or you could just do it the easy way and write a check :rotf:

First on the list should be an MJ Dana 44, next would be an MJ M20, after that would be an XJ Dana 44, and after that would be an XJ Chry 8.25, then theres the Ford Explorer 8.8, and then there the Isuzu Dana 44, but it has different bolt patern. All of these are the same width or very close to factory MJ width, and all but the MJ specific axles will need new perches and shock mounts welded on, and parking brakes adapted. Good luck.

The 35 is stronger then its given credit for,I've seen v8 ZJs locked on 35" tires thrash on them.

So depending on where and how you wheel you might be fine with the stock axle for now.

When I swap out my 35 I'm probably gonna do a MJ or XJ 44,maybe a late 8.25,I'm a Ford guy but I would not do a 8.8". Its a great axle but I can't give up the width,IMO the stock axle should be wider so I couldn't go narrower.

Get the rear 8.8 off of an explorer with the gear ratio that you want and then look for a front axle out of a xj or mj to match the explorer gear ratio. Or re gear a dana 30. the year explorer you need to keep an eye out for would be 1995-2001. Oh and you will probably need wheel spacers for the rear if you go with the 8.8 because its a bit more narrow then your stock rear end.

Brandon

That reminds me how do you a adapt the parking brake on a ford 8.8? I still don't have one and I have needed it a few times now. Sorry for the :hijack: Brandon

Use the Ford brake clevis. You won't have enough cable slack to use the wire rope clamp.

wondering what would be the best all around axle to put into my comanche? don't do a lot crazy rock climbing but i would like to do mild trails that would break dana 35s and i going to run 32" tires

There is no such thing as a mild trail that will break a Dana 35 ... unless you have a VERY heavy foot. Both my '88 XJ and my '88 MJ still have the original Dana 35 rear axle. I have wheeled both all over Paragon in PA, numerous trails in the Mohawk Trail region of MA, and RI.

Would I rather have had a Dana 44? You betcha ... but a mild trail will not break a Dana 35. Many of the trails I've made it through intact are not considered "mild."

yup. most dana 35s are out there, pluggin' away just fine. mine blew up on the way to work (while wearing 30" tires). dana 35s, peugeots, and 2.8Ls are all in the same category. they usually work fine. but it is wise to have a game plan ready to go. :thumbsup:

thanks for the help. I'm new to doing all this swapping and stuff this is my 1st build really but i have dana 35 in the front but yall r saying to swap it with a dana 30 wouldnt that be down grading ?

The Dana 30 is the only front axle to come stock in 4x4 Comanches. The rear could be, depending on year, a D35, an AMC-20, a D44, or any number of other axles swapped in over the years (Chrysler 8.25, Explorer 8.8, others?)

ok i thought i had 35s front and rear. thanks. my axles r not in the best shape and i figured if I'm going to spend money go ahead and put out the extra to make it tougher, because if i rebuild them and get out there and break them i would be p.oed that i didnt spend that little extra. plus I'm swapping in a 318 out of a ram charger right now and i like to floor it a little lol