gear ratio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a 4.0, then that pretty much settles with 99.9% accuracy that it's not original off the assembly line. It came from a 2.5L truck and was likely installed when the 4wd conversion was done. might even be from that XJ. look reeeeealy closely for any evidence of other bracketry having previously been welded to the axle. Also, what's the measurement center-to-center between the leaf perches?

i know for a fact when he did the 4x4 conversion the rear axle was left alone.the front is new but the rear is either factory or was swapped along time ago.ill check the measurement tomoro.was there the option of 411 with any 4.0.also possibly the gearing was changed inside the axle when it was two wheel drive but i highly doubt that.

far as I can tell, there were no official gearing options with the 4.0. Not even if you got a Dana 44. not saying that the original buyer couldn't have somehow finagled something, :dunno: but it's far more likely that the original Dana 35 broke and they swapped in that one in its place. plenty of owners have done that (me included).

well i am for sure its 4:11.i gota picture of the tag.how can you tell by the tag that this axle is original to this truck?

That tag number crosses to a front axle, 4.10 ratio, w. disconnect.

Wow. You might have one of the only stock 4.10 geared 4.0L's if this is the original axle and drivetrain...

8953000394 '86-89 Cherokee, Wagoneer & Comanche 30 4.10 NL disconnect axle

Whats the VIN?

Rob L.

how do you know if it has the c clip and whats that even mean.would i be able to give a jeep dealer my vin to get info on this or even vaig info of where it was boughten?or is it not in the computerers anymore cause its to old.I'm pretty confident the rear is factory 411.wonder if the vin will telll me so.

how do you know if it has the c clip and whats that even mean.would i be able to give a jeep dealer my vin to get info on this or even vaig info of where it was boughten?or is it not in the computerers anymore cause its to old.I'm pretty confident the rear is factory 411.wonder if the vin will telll me so.

This is why I have been asking for your VIN this whole thread. I can run it, and find out all the info. Other members can also do so, from the comfort of their computer at home.

Rob L. :fool:

1jtmg64p3jt065737.how can you run it from your own computer?

He has access to a VIN decoder :typing: You can also email Chrysler and they'll send you an entire build sheet with all the factory options its equipped with and the whole 9 yards or Rob can do it :cheers:

well i tried to do it on the internet but all they will tell me is 88 comanche pioneer 4.0 unless i pay so illl just have rob do it.

I usually just call the dealer. Call up the Jeep dealer, ask for the parts department, and give them the last eight of the VIN. They *should* still be able to tell you the build date, original dealer destination, and some limited parts info.

I keep numbers of Jeep dealers in every time zone. That way, if its too early by me, I call on the East coast, too late, time to hit up a dealer in Cali.

Rob L.

well i called up all the jeep dealers around here and it showed all the options it and how much it cost but no one knows the gear ratio.they said all the dealers run the same system.if any body knows another way or is signed up for it on a sight i would greatly appreciate it.

any good guy who would have made an instalation in your diff would have stamped the bearing carrier with a punch

so that might be something to look for

but if the diff has been swap for one with a 4.11 original ratio there isn't to many ways to find out

if you can identify if the axle is C-clip or not, that might help. C-clip Dana 35s weren't out yet when your truck was built. The early axle shafts were retained by a flange out by the tire. later axle shafts were retained by a small c-clip in the differential. If yours is C-clip, then it's definitely not stock. If it's a non-C-clip, then we're back to square one.

IDaxlemarkings.gif

a non-C-clip axle. note the thick plate that retains the axle shaft when bolted up.

a C-clip axle. note the lack of said plate

100_0783.sized.jpg

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but same topic:

My MJ is fitted wit an XJ rear axle. It has a mint condition identifying tag marked with:

52068072 LS

4 11 5535-3

Am I correct to assume that the gear ratio of this axle is 4.11?

Old thread, but same topic:

My MJ is fitted wit an XJ rear axle. It has a mint condition identifying tag marked with:

52068072 LS

4 11 5535-3

Am I correct to assume that the gear ratio of this axle is 4.11?

BINGO!