Hornbrod has 97+ doors????

Has anyone put the 97 windows in the early doors? Not sure it is possible because of the different mirror base in the two doors. Or at least what I think is a different mirror base. Yes, I know the total door swap should be very easy, but I never like doing things the easy/smart way.

May just have to buy a couple of doors and saw them up to check it out.

It can be done as I will be doing it. You need to cut out the bracket at the top of the door that supports the vent window; drill out the spot welds that hold the small bracket (remove it) that the original vent window attaches to at the bottom of the inner door (near the speaker). I went so far as to cut up some scrap '01 XJ doors to get the window channel on the front side which is extended on the front side. You will also need to add a small shim in the window channel beside the mirror mount - this will do a couple things: get the window to seal properly and space the outer window trim "inward" enough so the newer mirrors will fit. An alternative is cutting the window trim to get the mirrors to fit as someone did with their MJ. You will need to use a 97+ regulator as well, drilling new holes in your door and adding spacers as needed. Or you can purchase the Beijing XJ 2500 window regulators which are much quicker and lighter that US power window regulators. The Beijing Jeep regulator mounts to the exact holes as the 84-96 XJ/ MJ window regulator and they use a full window on their XJ like our U.S. '97+ XJ's.

I'm wondering the same thing. Is there a reason behind keeping the 96 and proir door style? I'm planning to update mine for the bigger nicer mirrors, and to have no vent window. I already have the 97+ front clip. So want to do 97+ fenders, doors, and taillights. Is there any hangups in this idea (besides being a purist to the original design of the comanche)

I'm wondering the same thing. Is there a reason behind keeping the 96 and proir door style? I'm planning to update mine for the bigger nicer mirrors, and to have no vent window. I already have the 97+ front clip. So want to do 97+ fenders, doors, and taillights. Is there any hangups in this idea (besides being a purist to the original design of the comanche)

The main problem your gonna have is the taillights. Cherokee taillights are not a bolt on replacment.

I went so far as to cut up some scrap '01 XJ doors to get the window channel on the front side which is extended on the front side.

You would be the guy to ask this question. Would it be possible to use the old style interior door trim on a new style door? Do you have any pics of the two??

Wouldn't it be less work to just bolt on some 97+ doors and swap strikers?

Several thousand dollars worth of paint and body work a year ago mean I do NOT want to repaint any existing parts of the truck. That I why I am asking the question.

Should have done the door swap before I did the paint. But I did not like the fact that the glove box can not be opened with 97 doors on the Comanche. (P/W, P/L, Pwr mirrors). Besides, Nothing would match the Laredo gray tweed interior trim.

Gjeep:

Where are you in California? May want to look at your work on the doors if you are reasonably close.

It can be done as I will be doing it. You need to cut out the bracket at the top of the door that supports the vent window; drill out the spot welds that hold the small bracket (remove it) that the original vent window attaches to at the bottom of the inner door (near the speaker). I went so far as to cut up some scrap '01 XJ doors to get the window channel on the front side which is extended on the front side. You will also need to add a small shim in the window channel beside the mirror mount - this will do a couple things: get the window to seal properly and space the outer window trim "inward" enough so the newer mirrors will fit. An alternative is cutting the window trim to get the mirrors to fit as someone did with their MJ. You will need to use a 97+ regulator as well, drilling new holes in your door and adding spacers as needed. Or you can purchase the Beijing XJ 2500 window regulators which are much quicker and lighter that US power window regulators. The Beijing Jeep regulator mounts to the exact holes as the 84-96 XJ/ MJ window regulator and they use a full window on their XJ like our U.S. '97+ XJ's.

I went so far as to cut up some scrap '01 XJ doors to get the window channel on the front side which is extended on the front side.

You would be the guy to ask this question. Would it be possible to use the old style interior door trim on a new style door? Do you have any pics of the two??

Jim,

Very good question! I don't think the bolts that hold the arm rests on match 96 vs. 97. Then, perhaps you could pop rivet a panel onto the 97 door, then drill the correct holes? Would think the rest of the door panel could be reworked to fit with some time and care.

With the exception of the outer door skin, 97+ doors are quite a bit different inside from the earlier doors. So, the older style interior panels will not work on the 97+ doors...No way.

I'm in Gilroy CA about 7+ hours north of San Diego. I did all my cutting and testing on a scrap door, which I no longer have. My truck is currently a rolling chassis without door glass, so even if you were up to the drive there is nothing to see. I don't see myself getting glass in until after the summer. Sorry.

Wouldn't it be less work to just bolt on some 97+ doors and swap strikers?

Several thousand dollars worth of paint and body work a year ago mean I do NOT want to repaint any existing parts of the truck. That I why I am asking the question.

Should have done the door swap before I did the paint. But I did not like the fact that the glove box can not be opened with 97 doors on the Comanche. (P/W, P/L, Pwr mirrors). Besides, Nothing would match the Laredo gray tweed interior trim.

Sounds like a great reason to me. :cheers:

• 3 months later...