Tow point mounting location?

let me start by saying that what you'll be doing may or may not be pretty stupid. :no:

but now that the disclaimer is out of the way :D , the last ditch rescue points will be your axles. Do NOT yank on them. slow steady pulling only. And if you're really really stuck, ya gotta dig out the dirt in front of your tires first. and I suggest bring along some 1"x10"x3foot boards. they can come in handy for making ramps to make it easier to get your tires to roll up out of whatever trench you've dug with your front tires. :thumbsup:

thanks, I'm definitely bringing a shovel along and some boards because the last time I got stuck I got stuck bad. I was axle deep in mud with nothing to dig out with.

A friend of mine and I found some logs and tried to put them under the tires to get traction but it didnt work. We found a smaller reflector sign from the side of the road and used it as a shovel. We still couldn't get it to budge. Well finally after a while I had a friend of mine come help me with his big lifted F-150 (I'm srry I was desperate and I had yet to get anyone's number from the jeep club) well after some contemplating we finally attached a chain to the tow ball on my rear bumper, again I apologize because I know this was stupid and unsafe. Well we finally got my truck out but now the back of my truck smiles at me :) lol.

What kind of bumpers do you have?

If you have stock bumpers, they're not much help. If you have aftermarket bumpers they may/may not be tied into the "frame"

Do you have a hitch receiver?

I don't mean a trailer ball on the step bumper, but a 2" receiver. If so you can slide a hook or d-ring adapter in there (or even use the ball as a tow point). If not you are SOL for secure and safe tow points.

What kind of strap or other cable do you have?

Far as I'm concerned the ONLY safe set-up is a 20-25 foot nylon strap,without hooks on the ends (they tend to fly around and chop arms off and stuff)

Some public (and private as well) wheeeling venues have minimum standards on what equipment you need on their trails. If you are just out in the woods with the club, meh.

Here's a link to ebay of the minimum "safe" hooks, they tie in to the bumper mounts and "frame".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Che ... ccessories

The best set-up for the rear is something like this inside a hitch receiver also tied in to the "frame"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bully-Re ... ccessories

Here's why you can't use the front bumper for recovery.

The bumper uses 3 bolts on each side,one is in the frame and the other two are on the sheet metal tab. So basically you have one bolt holding it on.

however if you go further back you will see a hole that is sleeved for mounting a snow plow,if you tie into it you can make a decent recovery point.

Kinda like this

This is the best way

Ive been up there with friends before and depending on if it has rained or not you SHOULD be fine. for the front there is no real good stock tow point however the back under the bed has that nice big cross member that you car rap a tow strap on to and get pulled out with no real problems. Ive used that point many times and works great every time.

Brandon

Oh and ps post up wheelin pics when you got out there comanche.gif

Brandon

I had the C4x4 brackets and hooks on my Comanche and after major abuse for two years I managed the slightly bend one of them. That was a 10+ mph yank at a 45 degree angle. Well worth the money. They have since been moved over to one of my Cherokees as the Comanche now has an custom bumper with recovery points.

Hi country offroad used to make a different style tow hook bracket, but they may not be around anymore.