stock bumper towing.

in my southern truck, no rust issues with the rear bumper, i've pulled a 1000lb (ish) camper with no problems ~400 miles round trip. it seemed really solid. however rust and 20+yr old bumpers is a different story so each truck may perform differently now-days.

Rockauto.com sells a class III hitch for like $105. Not worth the risk of a bumper folding up on you

can you get me a direct link, I need a hitch. :yes:

It is for the FRONT...

1992 JEEP COMANCHE 4.0L 242cid L6 MFI (S) OHV : Accessories-Exterior : Trailer Hitch

CURT MFG Part # 31084

Class III; Mount Receiver Hitch; Front; 300lbs. Tongue Weight; 3000lbs. Straight-Line Pull.; Front Air Dam Mod. May Be Req.

$104.99

The step bumpers seem to rust from the inside out. Outside looks fine, inside is rotted. Because of this I wouldn't trust it for anything heavier than a wheelbarrow.

THIS!

My bumper looked great from the outside. I used the ball to pull out a 3' shrub, and it pulled the bumper apart. It was rusted from the inside.

The step bumpers seem to rust from the inside out. Outside looks fine, inside is rotted. Because of this I wouldn't trust it for anything heavier than a wheelbarrow.

THIS!

My bumper looked great from the outside. I used the ball to pull out a 3' shrub, and it pulled the bumper apart. It was rusted from the inside.

understandable about rust, however you were still jerking on the bumper which they are not rated for.

No rear hitches for the Comanche anymore. Every once in a while a NOS one shows up. Best to look for a used one.

Or to have one built for you at a local shop. Should not be hard to build. Some one should post drawings of their class 3 hitch.

JJ