Jeep Tonneau Cover

36 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Does the tonneau cover actually seal on the sportbar?

No.   The picture on the cover of the '86 Accessories brochure might give that impression but the fit around the sports bar is fairly loose.   It would leak for sure.   The picture inside the brochure is of an MJ without a sports bar.   All of the pics make it look like it is very flat and tight and like there is no bow underneath it.  Mine would never look as good as the pics!

Here is the page from the brochure and a pic of the underside of mine where the bars would go through.  The holes are simply closed with Velcro straps. 

18-04-24 2.JPG

19-06-27 5.JPG

4 hours ago, PCO6 said:

The metal cross bow is installed at the mid point of the bed.   I've included the other 2 pages of the instructions for more details.   The covers are pretty basic and would be easy to make.  If I can help with dimensions I'd be happy to.   Replacing the Velcro strips with snaps would be the way to go.   My Brother has a '87 El Camino (last year made) and that's the way his works, which is much easier!   The cross bows on his are wood and the hardware looks like basic marine parts.   

I think I'm going to keep mine.  My '88 Eliminator is pretty original and I'm wrestling with modifying the cover.   I definitely would not want to go with the original Velcro design and would replace them with snaps ... so much for originality. 

I don't blame you for hanging onto it lol, you're the first person I've heard of who has one. If its not too much trouble and you could take some measurements for me I'd appreciate it. Really interested in the cross bar design and how the cross bar mounts. I'm sure I could get close enough measurements from my bed but I'm curious if I'll have the snaps at the top rails or on the outer slope.

I just have some body work and paint to take care of first and then I'm just going to make one from scratch. Lots to do, and this is a far ways off but my brain keeps thinking of more stuff to do.

I'll make a thread when I do and hopefully it helps someone else who wants a tonneau cover.

53 minutes ago, Kheltic said:

I don't blame you for hanging onto it lol, you're the first person I've heard of who has one. If its not too much trouble and you could take some measurements for me I'd appreciate it. Really interested in the cross bar design and how the cross bar mounts. I'm sure I could get close enough measurements from my bed but I'm curious if I'll have the snaps at the top rails or on the outer slope.

I just have some body work and paint to take care of first and then I'm just going to make one from scratch. Lots to do, and this is a far ways off but my brain keeps thinking of more stuff to do.

I'll make a thread when I do and hopefully it helps someone else who wants a tonneau cover.

I may have recorded some measurements already.   I'll check and post them here and if not drag it out to measure it.   I can probably send more pics in the meantime ... stay tuned.   

I actually got this and my sports bar with a parts MJ that I bought.   It was also an '88 Eliminator that was 1 month newer than mine (Jan. 1988).  It was way to good to part out so I took what I wanted and sold it.   The owner had installed a tonneau on it.   It wore out and this was a replacement he bought at a dealership in the late '90s but never installed.   The cross bar mounting holes were in the bed of the parts MJ.   When I looked at the bed for my MJ, it had the holes too!   I know it never had a tonneau.  I've never looked at another MJ for the holes but they may be on others.    Both had 2 holes on each side for I think #8 sheet metal screws.   The parts car had been screwed into but mine had not.   The holes were punched, not drilled.

53 minutes ago, Kheltic said:

so am I getting this right you wanna make a reproduction one?

23 hours ago, Jesse J said:

so am I getting this right you wanna make a reproduction one?

Yep, I've worked with the material before and made a makeshift awning in the past on my homemade Tear Drop camper.

This is a little more intricate but shouldn't be a problem.

23 hours ago, PCO6 said:

I may have recorded some measurements already.   I'll check and post them here and if not drag it out to measure it.   I can probably send more pics in the meantime ... stay tuned.   

I actually got this and my sports bar with a parts MJ that I bought.   It was also an '88 Eliminator that was 1 month newer than mine (Jan. 1988).  It was way to good to part out so I took what I wanted and sold it.   The owner had installed a tonneau on it.   It wore out and this was a replacement he bought at a dealership in the late '90s but never installed.   The cross bar mounting holes were in the bed of the parts MJ.   When I looked at the bed for my MJ, it had the holes too!   I know it never had a tonneau.  I've never looked at another MJ for the holes but they may be on others.    Both had 2 holes on each side for I think #8 sheet metal screws.   The parts car had been screwed into but mine had not.   The holes were punched, not drilled.

Awesome, thanks.

I haven't put my roll bar in yet, currently sitting in the bed of my 87 LWB not bolted. According to the guy I bought the rollbar from, it is meant for the SWB. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and he was a big jeep comanche guy and he took it off to make a trail rig with full cage.

Come to think of it, I'm assuming there's supposed to be a curved metal plate for the bottom of the wheel well to mount the bolts through which I don't have. I'm sure I'll figure it out and fab up some plates if I need when I get to it.

• 5 weeks later...

Howdy, I am thinking about picking up the long bed tonneau cover from Downey Products Northeast. I noticed some broken pics in the thread before, but does anyone have experience with this company in recent times, and maybe some pictures of how it looks on their long bed?  Are there any other better options?

Any help would be appreciated :)

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

I think @eaglescout526 has a Downey on his. 

I do indeed. Well did I have a topper now that I am in a love hate relationship with. But I enjoy it and can say it’s well made and worth your money. Looks like it would be an approved factory accessory too. But I would buy a Downey one again. 

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I will go ahead with the purchase! I definitely want some more space to store things safely on the road, and this sounds like a great option!

If I had to choose between my topper and the tonneau I would choose the tonneau any day. It’s nice, it snaps into the rails that are clamped down to the bed and an added bonus, if you have the bed mat, it can make for a comfy little hideaway to get some shut eye. 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:47 AM, Monty said:

Howdy, I am thinking about picking up the long bed tonneau cover from Downey Products Northeast. I noticed some broken pics in the thread before, but does anyone have experience with this company in recent times, and maybe some pictures of how it looks on their long bed?  Are there any other better options?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Got a Downey on mine - highly recommend.

Got it last year

jc tonneau pack.jpg

Tonneau 2.jpg

jc spacers fq a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...