Rhino liner as Paint Job Vs. Regular Paint Job

You might get more responses/opinions if you move this to the MJ Tech or Pub.

In my opinion it depends on what you'll be using your Jeep for, if it's going to be for offroading, rock-crawling, etc, the bedliner could protect against scratches and whatnot (I think Rhino lining the whole Jeep could add a decent amount of weight too, but I'm not positive :dunno: ) but if it's just a DD, I'd go with a regular paint job. Just my two cents

it hides rust (but doesn't stop anything from just rotting away beneath it), it peels, it grabs hold of rocks/trees instead of sliding by, it's expensive, it has an insanely complicated spray procedure making it impossible to fix application mistakes (once the product starts flowing out the gun, you can't stop it without it spontaneously curing inside the nozzle), and, I'm sure there are some other reasons why I hate that stuff. I had it applied to the rockers on my truck and regret it.

when it came time to paint my 88, I came across an old product called Zolotone. It's kinda a hybrid between paint and a true liner and has it's own set of complications. It still only hides rust, has a semi-complicated application procedure (but I was able to spray it myself), and is not dissolved by anything meaning the gun you use needs to be considered sacrificial just in case you don't get it all out. but I'm much happier with it. :D It's rock hard with a textured surface. I'd suggest finding a place near you that knows how to apply it. ranges from 40 to 50 bucks a gallon.

it fads on the hood the fastest because of how much heat there is there.

Brandon

I believe the fading is due to the UV rays from the sun, not heat.

Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything said above. I opted to use Herculiner on my rockers and in my bed primarily because it can be fixed easily by myself if damaged. Rhino Liner is good stuff and a tough product, but it's not invincible and will get worn and look terrible after awhile... My vote, don't do it, use the regular paint on the exterior.

hey i painted my jeep grand cherokee a while back and i thought it was great

i used the herculiner and rolled it on myself

as far as fading not really it started out a shiny finish and eventually ended up flat back which was ok

the only thing i slightly didnt like was that no matter what it always would rub off on ur fingers or clothing if you really rubbed up on it

but overall if ur gonna keep it for a while and use it for what you say go for it

Brandon

I don't think so because my friend kept his mud truck in a garage and it looked almost warped on top of the hood. and pete your truck looks amazing! i don't think ive ever seen them hood handles either. very cool. Sorry didnt mean to get off of subject.

Brandon

i believe it was just color hard to tell though because i had it previously painted flat black

from what i seen it held up great did do well with protection with the whole rubber pellets in it and not to mention i only did one coat i would say do so should only be about 150

Brandon

I don't think so because my friend kept his mud truck in a garage and it looked almost warped on top of the hood. and pete your truck looks amazing! i don't think ive ever seen them hood handles either. very cool. Sorry didnt mean to get off of subject.

Brandon

After doing some research on Rhinolinings Industrial website...

"When subjected to constant UV exposure, Rhino Linings may fade. However, Rhino Linings offers a UV topcoat capable of protecting your lining from UV damage."

"Our formulations are designed to withstand temperatures between - 40° and 175°F. Rhino Linings were designed to withstand abrasion, impact, corrosion, vibration, expansion, contraction, flexing and chemical wear."

I vote no. Paint it rattle can flat, and keep touching it up if you don't like the scratches. Then down the road if you, or the next owner of the truck wants to put a decent coat of paint on it, it could be done. It's like painting the walls in our house black. YOU might think it looks cool, but it is a :fs1: for the next guy, or you when you decide you don't like it anymore.

If you want a tough overpriced paint job, paint the entire truck in POR15.

Now that would be cool! but a top coating would still be required to maintain a pretty color, POR15 fades to a dull grey in No time if expeosed to UV rays.

Yup, POR15 sells the UV top coat too :clapping: