Towing a Comanche.

My Comanche is currently at my buddies house getting worked on. He has gotten divorced and sold the house.

I need to get the Comanche to my house (about 2 miles away.) It has no brakes but runs and drives like new.(except it's battery is in my wifes Druango right now) My plan is to rent a tow dolly and use my wifes Durango to tow it. (don't think my Cherokee could pull the weight).

I know I should pull the driveshaft prior to towing but are there any other tricks I should know? I have approx 1 month to get it out of there so there is time if need be......

I was thinking about disconnecting the DS from the rear end and hanging it from the frame to prevent fluid loss.

The key is broken off in the igniton due to my friends dumbass son so it is unlocked until i get a new lock cylinder.

I'm just wondering what else if anything I should do before putting it on the tow dolly.

I have wanted a Comanche since I was a little kid and now that my friend has given me a 95% rust free one I don't want to wreck it during the tow.

I towed mine from AL to SC (10 hours) going 60 mph the whole way, We put it on, locked the wheel (tied a rope to the brake so it would be tight) Then I put the transmission in nuetral and Transfercase in nuetral, towed like a dream.

Since it's a M/T vehicle you should be able to leave the driveshaft in for towing. Can you rig up the brakes to nominally work for the 2 mile trip and drive it during a low traffic time? When I bought my plow truck the rear brake lines were rotted out and I drove the truck 110 miles back home. I crimped off the rear lines and only had front brakes. Granted I drove quite gingerly but I made it back.

hell TWO MILES. come on. just drive it. I'm sure theres a little something left of the brakes. if not just go five mph and bring a friend incase you have to stop, make him jump out and stop it lol thats if you live in the burbs though....$#!& id even do it in the city

hell TWO MILES. come on. just drive it. I'm sure theres a little something left of the brakes. if not just go five mph and bring a friend incase you have to stop, make him jump out and stop it lol thats if you live in the burbs though....$#!& id even do it in the city

There are NO BRAKES AT ALL. nothing zip nada, and no exhaust.Just the downpipe so it is loud as hell! Also the truck is at my friends house on top of the tallest hill in the county and my house is at the bottom of said hill. Windy back roads and steep hills with no brakes is not my idea of fun.

I was originally going to just say screw it and drive it but then discovered the brake problems. Luckily my time-line to get it out has been extended as the sale of the house fell through so hopefully I can just fix the brakes and drive it.

BRAKES??? WE DON' NEED NO STINKIN' BRAKES!!!!!!

Normally I would agree with you! :D But I care about this truck so I don't want to wrap it around a tree :banana: