My "new" 86 Comanche

Hello Everybody! :wavey:

My name is Nate, and I am the new proud owner of an 86 4wd 2.8L manual 5 speed Comanche. I have always wanted a jeep, found one on craigslist for $450 and bought it. it has plenty of problems, But I am currently a Diesel Mechanic student and was looking for a decent project offroad truck. Anyway, I have several problems that I could use some help on, and some questions that hopefully the compiled minds of Comanche Club can figure out.

Here's the things I would like to do to the Comanche within a 2 year period

1. 4" lift kit (junkyard lift)

2. Roof mounted Light bar

3. Bull bar/ Brush guard (not the one with the pieces that protect the headlights)

4. Engine Swap

So I know theres a way where you can get most of this stuff from a junk yard, like the lift kit, but I wasn't too sure how? I heard installing f-150 coils in the front, with f-150 shocks gives you a pretty decent lift, but what about the rear? and the steering stabilizer? what year f-150?

Is there a junk yard sport rack type thing that could be used to make a roof mounted light bar? anything that anyone has tried?

Good place to pick up a Brush Guard? (reasonably priced?)

Good engine swap recommendations that should bolt up alright with my Tranny, and work well with the other drive train components?, or what type of drive train swap would be involved? I Heard a 4.3L from a Sonoma works well, but wasn't sure if that information was valid.

And also, I have a pretty good list of problems, that came with my purchase.

1. any aftermarket floor pans? Mine are almost completely gone and rusted through.

2. How hard is an oil pan gasket to replace? mine blew just yesterday driving down the road.

3. Play in steering, a good couple inches of steering wheel travel for sure! Any good recommendations on how to eliminate this?

4. LOTS of problems with electrical blinkers, tail lights, headlights, instrument cluster, basically nothing works.

That should be just about everything, besides all this nonsense, the jeep has been absolutely wonderful besides that! the day I bought it, I took it down some VERY low maintenance roads and had an absolute blast. Jeeps are everything I thought they would be and more! (especially comanches! ;) )

Any and all help is appreciated!

Also, I was told there was a way to cut out the "kick panels?" and weld in some steel rectangular tubing to use as rock sliders? can someone point me towards that post?

Thanks alot guys!!

-Nate

Lots of questions there. Welcome to the club.

First... Ive never heard of anyone using F150 parts to lift an MJ or XJ. If it would work the ride would be soo rough you would want to pull it back off anyways. The Ftruck is much heavier than the MJ and the ride would be horrible.

Engine to swap in.... The 4.3 will not work without a full drivetrain swap. You need to look for the 3.1, or 3.4 out of a Camaro. They have the correct bellhousing bolt pattern, and the block is almost identical to your original engine, so all accesories and mounts will swap right over to it and the engine will drop in. One thing though, the original 2.8 flywheel will have to be nuetrally balanced to work with the new motor... no big deal!

Yes its possible to use some f150 parts to lift the jeep buy the ride will be really rough , besides you could find most everything you need in our clasifieds section . as for the engine swap get your self a 3.4 v6 from a 93-95 camaro and be done with it , yes you will have to get the flywheel neutraly balanced and add an electric fuel pump as there is no provisions for the mechanical fuel pump but it is prity easy over all .

As for the "cut out rock sliders" thats a little more involved but still verry doable , and the electrical issues first check all the fuses and conections then check all ground conections (maby someone else will chime in on where those are located) and the play in the steering is probably mostly in the track bar at the frame side followed by the steering TRE and to the ball joints , try having someone wiggle the steering wheel side to side wile you lay under the front and inspect the joints for play .

take a look at my build thread as i have done most of what your looking to do

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5484

Well, seems as though the electrical issue is a fairly serious rat/mouse infestation problem. I found 4 rats nest's hanging out behind the left rear tail light, and behind the radio. They have been chewing at the wires for what seems like quite some time. I removed the nests, and am now trying to figure out why basically nothing works at all. All fuses are good. and the right rear brake light works, and the heater works too (well, turns on anyways) the left rear has new bulbs in all but the reverse light, which has no bulb. and the right rear has all good bulbs except the reverse light bulb which is also missing. I think the wires have been munched away in the steering column? I am also getting power to the fuse block, i used my multimeter and checked every last fuse. 24/26 of them have 12.75 volts coming to them, and the other 2 have 5.89 volts.

Anyway, here's some pics!

And finally, after nearly completing its new paintjob.....

Taa daaa! comanche.gif

Anyway, also began dropping the oil pan today, and realized how hard it is to do without Jackstands. So my next project will be to weld up a front bumper, for which I can use to tow this to my school to get work done to it. Also wiring up a special harness which will be a female 4 pin trailer hookup to the front, connecting to the blinker/brake light relay so I have working tow lights!

So if anyone has an awesome front bumper build write up, or knows of a favorite, any links or forwards would be very helpful! I know I have seen a couple write ups for rear bumpers, but I need a Front!

-Nate

If you want to build your own front bumper, you have to start with good mounts:

Make them long so you can trim them down later... this will determine how far forward the bumper will be and also will be a great place to add a tow point. Once you have a good mount, the sky is the limit! Flat plate is easy to work with and make whatever shape you want. Tubing is also a good way to go. I know you don't have access to a press brake in your diesel shop, but you can also have sheet steel formed into shape.

Easiest way, I think, is taking a few pictures of the front of your truck at different angles. From there make a few copies and start drawing some lines. Pictures and paper are easier to work with and faster to repair if you make a mistake!

That is a pretty good bracket design! I will probably download that, print it and test it out with some cardboard to get a decent shape. I am basically planning on using a rectangular tubular piece of 5/16" 2"x4" piece with some welded on clevis shackle mounts that would be 1\2" thick. I drew up a prototype at work today, and am going to see if I can put it into an adobe illustrator file. Basically I need a bumper I can hook a tow-bar to, and pull to school to fix random things. seeing as that's where the majority of my tools are. I will see If I can get this idea to fly with Brad or Chris for doing some cutting and welding in the diesel shop.

I also ordered an auto darkening welding mask today! :banana:

-Nate

Depending on what kind of condition your 2.8L is (and the fact that it is a 2.8L), and take into account your electrical gremlins, maybe it'd be a good time to look into a 4.0L swap? :dunno: There are plenty of good XJs out there just begging to be plucked of good parts! In our area, you can find a whole rig for around $500 in good, running condition. Swap the whole harness, engine, trans... the whole meal deal.

Alexandria Technical College. I am in first year Diesel Mechanics. That might also be a good idea- I did like the 3.4L camaro swap though. That seemed like alot less work haha. I don't exactly have a decent shop to use... I basically have a drive way at my place. Thinking about renting a space from a rent a center or something like that so I can work on it in the winter, and store like a jack and stands

So I know theres a way where you can get most of this stuff from a junk yard, like the lift kit, but I wasn't too sure how? I heard installing f-150 coils in the front, with f-150 shocks gives you a pretty decent lift, but what about the rear? and the steering stabilizer? what year f-150? http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

Is there a junk yard sport rack type thing that could be used to make a roof mounted light bar? anything that anyone has tried? http://www.quadratec.com/products/72112_10X_PG.htm

And also, I have a pretty good list of problems, that came with my purchase.

1. any aftermarket floor pans? Mine are almost completely gone and rusted through.

2. How hard is an oil pan gasket to replace? mine blew just yesterday driving down the road. Try tightening the bolts, if that doesn't work get a reinforced rubber one piece oil pan gasket,,,might as well do the rear main while you've got the pan off. Its easy to do. That may be the culprit anyway.

3. Play in steering, a good couple inches of steering wheel travel for sure! Any good recommendations on how to eliminate this? 86Fubar is right, have someone turn the steering wheel while you look for play in all the TREs, the drag link and the track bar. If they are good, then you can tighten the adjustment screw on the gear box itself,,,just don't make that one too tight because it will accelerate wear. Also check the u-joints in the linkage to the steering wheel.

Also, I was told there was a way to cut out the "kick panels?" and weld in some steel rectangular tubing to use as rock sliders? can someone point me towards that post?

Check the Projects page....there was one recently posted.

Thanks alot guys!!

-Nate

those lights on the rear bumper are they on a switch or connected to the reverse lights i wanna do something like that

When I bought the truck, the owner had these reverse flood lights installed on it. Basically it had one of those stupid clips on the end of it, that attached directly to the reverse light wire on the tail light. And the base of the light was the ground, through the vehicles bumper. (so basically, one wire came out of the light) if you are going to splice into the reverse light, I suggest doing it the right way. Either make a hard mount that branches off into the two lights (one for the reverse tail light power, one for the flood light) or just use some good ol fashion heat shrink tubing with the two cables. the connecter the owner put on caused my reverse light wires to rust out and fall apart.

good luck!

Depending on what kind of condition your 2.8L is (and the fact that it is a 2.8L), and take into account your electrical gremlins, maybe it'd be a good time to look into a 4.0L swap? :dunno: There are plenty of good XJs out there just begging to be plucked of good parts! In our area, you can find a whole rig for around $500 in good, running condition. Swap the whole harness, engine, trans... the whole meal deal.

The 4.0L will not fit into the '86 Comanches without making firewall modifications. When they swapped from the 2.8L to the 4.0L, the whole engine bay was redesigned to fit the longer 4.0L.

It all matters how much cash you want to throw at this for the engine swap. The 3.4L is a nice swap if you want to retain all your stock components. I decided to go a bit larger on mine and am in the middle of swapping in a Chevy 350. You will need to get motor mounts, and I chose to get an adapter to use a Jeep AX15 and NP231 as the Chevy 5 speed manuals will require a great deal of fabrication to get them to fit (the Chevy trans is no where near as long as the AX5 that you have in there right now).

The 4.0L will not fit into the '86 Comanches without making firewall modifications. When they swapped from the 2.8L to the 4.0L, the whole engine bay was redesigned to fit the longer 4.0L. not true. just did it in mine and no mod to the firewall a lot to the front of the engine bay but not the firewall

It all matters how much cash you want to throw at this for the engine swap. The 3.4L is a nice swap if you want to retain all your stock components. I decided to go a bit larger on mine and am in the middle of swapping in a Chevy 350. You will need to get motor mounts, and I chose to get an adapter to use a Jeep AX15 and NP231 as the Chevy 5 speed manuals will require a great deal of fabrication to get them to fit (the Chevy trans is no where near as long as the AX5 that you have in there right now).

I got a cherokee for 400$ and just swaped everything .......you jus need to know where your going with it

Even those that have swapped a 4.0 into an 86 that needed firewall mods, the mod was only with a hammer to move the firewall 1/2 inch in one spot.... no big deal. The hard part will be swapping in the 4.0 core support and radiator. But it can be and has been done. Good Luck.

For the lack of trouble it would be to go around and drill all of the welds and swap with donor metal, I'd keep it under the hood for a more factory look... not to mention airflow on the front of the truck and the prime real-estate in any pickup bed.

True- I see you switched pics of the ol' eliminator in your sig! Did you bring her up to alec yet?

Well, more progress today, I broke out the ol' tool set and motivated myself to start cracking on this damn oil pan gasket. Looks like the former owner used that fake make a gasket crap, and it blew out one of the edges. :mad: I spent a solid 2 hours working at the damn thing, still can't get it off. Ive removed the starter, and the exhaust to get this stupid thing to drop, and I am trying to pry it away with flathead screwdriver, and a scraper. Work is VERY slow. any suggestions to ease the removal? keep in mind its in a driveway with the front axle up on cinder blocks :headpop:

ALSO: Made my own light bar from the junkyard, I will briefly describe it here, and then do a write up possibly? for those of you bold enough to drill a hole in your roof, its worth it!

Basically I took a sport rack off of a 99 exploder, got it from the local junk yard for $5 bucks! I measured out a spot near the rear of the roof, lined it up, drilled a couple holes and bought some bolts and bolted it down! so easy! why didn't I think of that before? (I also used sealant around the edges, to prevent rain from damaging the interior!) I am currently in the process of installing my lights, and the electrical portion.

SO... Basically nothing works at all electrical wise in my jeep. I am LOST. I cannot trace anything, and the mouse damage really didn't look too bad. several wires here and there were chewed, but not enough to expose wires. Can anyone send a picture of the grounding spot where the battery grounds to the frame? I am having a hard time getting a ground when I am wiring my own stuff, and now I am thinking this could be the culprit? oh BTW the Heater turns on, so I guess something works :P

Thanks,

-Nate