My "new" 86 Comanche

Well, back again today. Didn't get much work done during this MEA break on the comanche, I was busy with work and other shenanigans. Probably won't get much done for a while here, I will be fairly busy in the next week.

Anyway, my progress from before just involved installing a Tow Bar I got off of Ebay. This will make it easy to bring to school to work on, even when critical engine components aren't working. Installation required drilling 4 holes, to mount 2 brackets. Simple enough? sure. but when proper measuring and spacing as well as having the brackets remain level, it can get a bit challenging. I will post pictures fairly soon. My project for my spare time now, will be installing an integrated trailer wiring kit. So when I use the blinkers/brakes on my tow vehicle, the rear lights from the comanche will turn on accordingly. I will try to take as many pics as possible, and probably even toss in a write up if all goes well.

Stay tuned for more action!

-Nate

• 1 month later...

Well, I know it has been a while since I have posted in my Tech/build page- I was wondering if an administrator could get this switched to the Builds thread? that would be pretty sweet.

Anyway! there are big things happening to my MJ! aka "Chief" or as my diesel instructor likes to call it, and pardon my language " That @#$%ing Jeep Commander"

Neohic (aka Ben) and myself have been quite busy working on a custom bumper for the front! which is nearly completed. I am waiting until it is all mounted and powder coated, so I can get the "shock" factor as Ben likes to call it.

I also have been tearing the drive train apart and looking at components and ensuring they are alright for mudding/trail riding. I am also looking at purchasing a new set of tires within a month or so. Looking at BFGoodrich all terrain T/A KO 30x9.5R15 tires.

We also have been doing clutches in school, so I tore out the transmission and checked the pressure plate, fly wheel, and clutch out and overall, it looks really good! which is nice!

Anyway, I will keep you all in the loop and thanks for reading!

-Nate

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well! decided to spoil the surprise of the black powder coating on the custom bumper, so here's just a couple shots!

I apologize in advance for the AMAZING */sarcasm resolution of my cell phone camera!

here's a newbie shot of my stock bumper, getting ready to change the oil pan gasket!

Right after initial fabrication!

Holes, to allow mud, road slime, rocks etc to drip out, rather than hang on the inside of the bumper

Ben's welding magic! Almost completed bumper! I was so happy to see it this way! makes it look much better than just a piece of M-Beam sticking in the front!

Decided to pop in a Curt Manufacturing 2" receiver in front! Not really sure why, seeing as I know how to back up trucks, but hey! someday it could come in handy! used multiple gussets for strength and re-enforcement. So at least when the day comes, I will have some strength to back it up!

Final product!!!!! What do you think?!? The tires/rims are off of my Ford Ranger, since the bolt pattern is the same, and the tires are meatier and more aggressive that were previously on the jeep, I swapped them to my Ranger for winter ;)

Some of Minnesota's finest snow for years!

Anyway, All of my thanks and appreciation goes to Neohic. He pretty much fabbed this whole thing himself. I just pointed which direction I wanted to go with it, and he took the lead and really really impressed me. Thanks again Ben!

-Nate