Metric ton

Joop

D44 came in 87, 86 used amc20, and that is what i have. Did they put that axle/leaf combo in a MJ without calling it a metric ton? Just curious because my paperwork only says 700-and-something kg's as max payload.

D44 came in 87, 86 used amc20, and that is what i have. Did they put that axle/leaf combo in a MJ without calling it a metric ton? Just curious because my paperwork only says 700-and-something kg's as max payload.

Anything is possible. The original owner could have ordered it special, or put it in later. You didn't have to check the Metric Ton package, but sometimes a towing package would include the HD springs and Flavor or D44/A20

Rob L.

It appears that you have the 1440 lb. capacity springs, since all of the others, with the exception of the Metric Tonne 3+2 packs, have 3 leaves plus the 2nd stage overload leaf. However, since there is no space between the clip spacer and the main leaf, you could have a standard leaf pack with an add-a-leaf.

-Tom

Yes, they did. My '87 shortbed has a Dana 44 axle, but it is not a Metric Ton package (the package was not available on the shortbeds) and there are no stickers or anything to indicate that it has any other special package. Unfortunately, although I bought it from the daughter of the original owner, she didn't have any original paperwork so I don't know how it was spec'd out.

Joop, the standard MJ rear springs were three leaves plus the overload, so I believe it is safe to say that you have a Metric Ton package -- whether it says so on the window or not. But 700 kg sounds like the standard payload. As I'm sure you aware, the conversion is 2.2 pounds per kilogram. An Imperial (American) ton is 2,000 pounds. A metric ton is 1,000 kg, or 2,200 pounds. 700 kg calculates to 1,540 pounds.

This is going to be very interesting and before anybody starts 'correcting' me wait until tomorrow morn when I can check VIN'S. The springs shown came off a 1987 MJ with Metric ton markings and tags on tail gate. That axle is a D44. I have a '88MJ sitting on one side of it with identical springs and D35. I have a '89 sitting on the other side with almost identical springs, 4 long leafs and one short thick one on the bottom. No MT marking on truck. Axle is a D60 so obviously it's been switched. Just gotta love them Jeeps.

Joop, as Jim says, nothing is written in stone concerning Jeep MJs. The factory "Metric Tonne" or "Big Ton" package was offered from 1987-1990. These were usually badged by a tailgate emblem or a sticker on the back cab glass. However, a lot of suspension/drivetrain (and other) options (D44, 5-leaf HD springs, HD shocks, etc.) were dealer installed, and usually had no badging. So since you have an 86, there will be no badging in any case since the package wasn't offered officially until 1987.

Also, you have an export model. Some of the suspension/drivetrain options on the exports were standard equipment while on the domestic models they were optional. So your AMC-20 diff and 4+1 springs may be standard equipment for the 86 Scandianian exports. Every country they were exported to had different equipment installed, even special parts unique to the country, like side markers, different color lamps, etc.

:hijack: Saw on another post you're a Volvo lover - me too. But my favorites were the PV 544s and the 122s. I had many many of them, and the popular swap for me was the B20 engine w. Webers. I love the 544s and supposedly they were designed from the US 1939 Mercurys. Here's a video you might enjoy:

After checking what data I have on Jeep Comanche's I have come to the conclusion there is no sure fire way to identify them. The badges and decals can be added or removed at the whim of the owner. The mechanical parts can be added, or removed, at the option of the dealer or owner.

Some sure fire facts; The Metric Tonne did not come out until 1987. In 1990 the name was changed to Big Ton. MT's only came with the 7ft beds, Dana 44 and 4.0l engines. The fourth digit of the VIN may be 'H' signifying 6,000GVW. The safety label on the drivers door, witch is usually unreadable will give a GAWR of 3130lbs. In my opinion the safety label is the most accurate indication. Then there is the possibility that somebody swapped doors. If your lucky you might find the build sheet inside the left hand door panel. And maybe the code sheet glued to the bottom of the glove box, where it gets worn and unreadable. Exports are a entirely different breed as they had their own rules and every ones is different.

The "Big Ton" package was also offered in 1991. I have the original window sticker for my truck and it lists the "Big Ton" package.

Previous owner put TWO addition leafs in addition. He hauled drywall and cement! Yes, it rides like a truck!

Did some work on the diesel today. Turns out it also has the same springs and amc20. Maybe it is some export option? Guess its time to grab a cold one and just let life go on. I have whatever springs I have, and thats it. :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me if the MT leaf packs were stock leaf packs with an added over load leaf? Or we're they an entirely different spring rate? I'm picking up a '91 long bed tomorrow and it has a "metric ton" emblem on the tailgate and a D44.

I noticed that it has one or more broken leaves and I was wondering if I could rebuild them using a stock leaf pack to take donor leaves from.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they were different spring rates for the individual leafs. Here, near the bottom of the page, are the specs for the 3+2 (three thin leafs + two overload leafs) and the 4+1 MT springs. But you can use the regular spring leafs for replacement as long as the lengths are the same. Total payload will be different though.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21018&p=238108&hilit=metric+ton+spring#p238108

So it looks like I have the 3+2 version leaf packs......

Realistically then all I'd really have to keep around is the u-bolts, plates and the two bottom overload leaves to "re-create" another set of MT leaf packs - without too much payload difference anyway.......

this is what's on my 89 MT

Those springs are for sure not factory MT springs. Look like a custom set someone had made up. I know Deaver makes a heavy duty MJ spring with a similar leaf layout as yours, probably others too. But they were too expensive for me. :eek:

• 1 month later...