I've got a weight problem

Comanche County

Not the kind you're thinking of.

I'm about to move and I'm set to haul the MJ on a Big Tex 70-CH 20' trailer and pull it behind the 5.9 ZJ. I know I'm pushing the limits of the ZJ's towing capability and I think I'm going to change plans. Went for a 20 mile test haul today to get the rig weighed and lost the warm and fuzzy feeling I had about this idea.

All together was 11,100 lbs. The MJ and the trailer alone weighed in at 6,680 lbs. That's without the 35" spare, tools, clothes, and the welder I was going to take. I imagine it would add another 400-500 with that stuff. The trailer is 2,200 according to the Big Tex website, that leaves the MJ weighing in at 4,480. Seems high for an MJ, but the 35"s are heavy and I've got a tool chest with tools, misc fluids and a high lift jack in the bed.

I wanted to do it in one trip but it looks like I'll drive the ZJ to GA, then rent a Uhaul truck or a 3/4-1 ton truck and make a second trip back to TX for the MJ and trailer. If it was a shorter trip I'd do it, the ZJ has plenty of power and torque and I don't give a darn that Chrysler said it could only tow 5K lbs....it'll tow more. I've hauled around 7K before for about 200 miles. The ZJ will do it just fine...its a lot stronger than Dad's 94' 351W powered F250. But, this is a longer trip and thus increased chances for emergency breaking and maneuvers which makes the weight NOT OKAY. #1 - I don't want to have an accident and get someone else hurt or killed, #2 - I don't want to wreck the MJ, #3 - I don't want to get a ticket for being over the limit of the haul vehicle, #4 - I don't want to get killed.

Or...I could sell the trailer and all my extra tools and junk and drive the MJ back on the return trip, or I could sell everything including the MJ and just find another one in GA and the fun will begin all over again, or sell the ZJ and trailer and just take the MJ.....but its got no A/C dangit....

Allright, I'm done venting. Everyone continue this.... image_209027.gif

Some stock size rollers on the MJ would drop the trailer weight some, and bring your trailer COG down.

Strip any extra weight out of the MJ that you think you could get away with, then trip #2 would be driving back with the ZJ + Trailer to get the rest of the stuff.

Or drive the ZJ + trailer with the tools & odds & ends on it, and fly back to get the MJ, and drive that without the trailer.

I'm with jpnjim's idea of loading the crap on the trailer and flying back for your MJ man. I don't know what the terrain is down there, but if you gotta do hills or anything, the tranny in the ZJ is gonna hate you, but most important, you don't want to endanger yourself, other or the vehicles either.

What gears did you have in the MJ? 4.88s or 5.13s? Anything other than the 35s and it is going to hate life on the highway. I agree with not towing with the ZJ, but if you are confident in the MJ, drive it. Suck for the Maxxis tires but uhwell. I am driving my big XJ 2500 miles in two weeks... I sure wouldnt sell it and start over, you just got to the good point with it.

Stick with it man, you are almost there! jamminz.gif

What gears did you have in the MJ? 4.88s or 5.13s? Anything other than the 35s and it is going to hate life on the highway.

Bullshiot. Unless you have a 2.5L. The 4.oh has a nice flat torque curve, so gearing is NOT a huge deal regardless. Besides, you can ALWAYS gear down. Some people don't seem to understand that you can't just hold a hill in 5th because you want to.

You might lose a few tenths in the quarter to a regear, but it's really not that big of a deal.

What gears did you have in the MJ? 4.88s or 5.13s? Anything other than the 35s and it is going to hate life on the highway.

Bullshiot. Unless you have a 2.5L. The 4.oh has a nice flat torque curve, so gearing is NOT a huge deal regardless. Besides, you can ALWAYS gear down. Some people don't seem to understand that you can't just hold a hill in 5th because you want to.

You might lose a few tenths in the quarter to a regear, but it's really not that big of a deal.

The gears are 4.56s...about right, IIRC, the GPS had me going 65 mph at 2500 rpm, should be fine on the highway. Think I'll go with jpnjim's idea of taking the junk first, then flying back for the MJ. I'm installing an auxiliary trans cooler on the ZJ for good measure also.

Your best bet is to drop that bad @$$ MJ off with me in Dallas :) you can keep the tools and everything.

Solved your weight issue. I promise ill take good care of it :)

Sorry Dude....here's one for you though...http://killeen.craigslist.org/pts/1914404371.html. I tried to get the topper but the lady isn't very good about returning emails. Its an 86', might have an AMC 20 in it.

5017786728_2660e3bc28_z.jpg

I made a 3500 mile trip from oregon to south carolina in my MJ, 4.0 35's and 4.56. it worked great I had 700 pounds in the bed and a u-haul trailer with 2000 pounds in it. 65 mph was the sweet spot. I went to a lot of used tire shops and found some 35 inch street treads just for the trip. that helped alot. and no A/C I feel for ya.

The tow dolly is another idea though