maybe gettin a new to me manche...revised w pics

STERLING STINGER

I've put to many miles on S10's with 2.8's and one XJ, to knock them or put them down. They're reliable economical motors and properly maintained will give many trouble free miles. That said the carburated ones can be a pain in the lower extremities. They don't have the power of the Jeep I4 but the diff is very minor. If you have a good running 2.8 then keep it. However when it does wear out or goes bad , then replace it with a 3.2 or 3.8.

ok i just spoke to the guy

he told me that in 86, jeep put in a chevy motor from the factory????

whatever

theres a nice patch on the floorboard where the shifter was, now it is on the column

130k on it

not a bit of rust anywhere.....really for up here thats rare

carpet is not there so i even got to check the floorboards and there mint

new exaust front to back, brakes and rotors new

i asked him how much, he said $650.....he just told my friend $700 yesterday

i offered him $500....he said $550

i told him id call him back.

whatta ya think?

ok i just spoke to the guy

he told me that in 86, jeep put in a chevy motor from the factory????

whatever

He's right. It's a 2.8L V6 and it sucks when compared to the 2.5L or 4.0L AMC engines. It'll last if it was well maintained, but you can also have a catastrophic oil pump failure and waste all of the bearings like it did in the '86 MJ I used to have.

Other than that, it looks decent. Has a 10-slot chrome grill (but upside down). Couple hoarders of those in these forums so watch out.

theres a nice patch on the floorboard where the shifter was, now it is on the column

Are you sure it wasn't just an auto from the very beginning? Did Jeep offer the 2.8L and manual trans in '86? Are you sure you're not just seeing the standard floor patch that Jeep put on ALL of the column shift MJ's?

Jeep offered the General Motors (GM, Chevy) 2.8L V6 and the American Motors (AMC) 2.5L Inline-4 in 1986. The GM motor is generally considered a turdy, underpowered engine with a rats nest of vacuum lines for emissions crap. It's also not well known for it's longevity, but there are a few guys on here that have gone the distance with theirs. I had one crap out with well under 100K miles. Good news is that once it DOES crap out, you can do a direct swap to the larger GM 3.4L V6.

did they offer the smaller motor in 86?

I'm assuming its four wheel drive too cuz of the motor size...am i right?

I'm not buying this...we all are..lol

just cause it is a 2.8 doesn't mean it is 4wd. was there a shifter on the floor for a t-case? and I had 180k on the 2.8 in my 85 XJ

In 86 the 2.8 was offered with an auto column shift factory, and all auto column shift trucks got the plate put in the floor factory. The auto in 1986 on the 2.8 should be the A904 or TF904.... basically a lighter duty version of the TF727 that chrysler has used extensively. And it could be either a 2x4 or a 4x4. You might want to look at the rear axle too to see if its a dana 35 or the much sought after corporate 20 which would mean its a metric tonne model. If 4x4 I'm not sure what transfer case would have been put behind the auto. The one on my 86 waggy 2.8 auto is the NP228 selec-trac, but I'm pretty sure they never offered that option on the MJ's. Looks like a nice find, keep us updated!

Had an 86 cavalier with 2.8. It was injected. Big problem was oil leaks on the front and back of the intake manifold. I was told to take a small punch and create a few "dings" in the manifold to grip the gasket. Never leaked again. But, in the little cavalier (convertible and auto), it would scoot pretty good!