Wish me luck, boys.

Kenosha Warrior

Well..We have to deal with this kind of tests in Argentina too. Once a year. They check brakes system ,suspension, horn , lights and engine performance. But there is no regulation for the emission system in Argentina, They just check how your engine is running putting an oxygen sensor in the exhaust pipe tail. If that all is Ok then you are given a sticker to be placed in the windshield. Cost is about 60 Arg $ which is aprox 20 U$S.

Good luck!!!!

i think you'll get it... my 89 passed first go-round. (But thats a honky-@$$ GA test not a up north inpection)

all the same, ive got full confidence in yuor truck.

me too man, I went to check on her a few minutes ago acctually :oops:

My truck is acctually 3 months exactly older than me.

me-Aug23'rd 89

MJ- May23-89

me too man, I went to check on her a few minutes ago acctually :oops:

My truck is acctually 3 months exactly older than me.

me-Aug23'rd 89

MJ- May23-89

how did you find out the exact date... i bet mine is older than me too.

drivers door, just inside it.

there's a date out in the open month,day.

Failed!

no lic. plate lights, no battery hold-down, no pass.side window winder handle, it has YJ stablizers and thats a no-no, manual steering box is leaking, brake lines at the master are toast, rubber line to axel is split too.

and this is a lenient check!

Ted (my mechanic) said that to get it all completed to *just* make it pass it'll take all that.

So far, its tally'ed to around $750-800 to be completed plus the emissions test.

I'm ticked, but its my own fault. Oh well. Ted did ask how much Ive paid so far, he says that getting the Jeep from where it was, to where it is now and will be in a weeks time for under $2500 is pretty damn good.

jeez, my 1995 didnt have a battery hold down, and they let me go for that (even had to go back for the failed emissions!) i wish you luckk in getting your MJ legal. its a challenge, but once you do it, it'll be a good feeling!

no lic. plate lights,

no battery hold-down,

no pass.side window winder handle,

it has YJ stablizers and thats a no-no,

manual steering box is leaking,

brake lines at the master are toast,

rubber line to axel is split too.

Hmmm, I'm just not seeing $800 worth of work there... :hmm: Is that for you paying someone else to do everything?

no lic. plate lights,

no battery hold-down,

no pass.side window winder handle,

it has YJ stablizers and thats a no-no,

manual steering box is leaking,

brake lines at the master are toast,

Hmmm, I'm just not seeing $800 worth of work there... :hmm: Is that for you paying someone else to do everything?

yeah, it can't stay in my driveway any longer. I need it driveable ASAP. I'm still in school and working a whole lot too. I figure get them to do it and I'm set for a good while.

no lic. plate lights

no battery hold-down

no pass.side window winder handle

YJ stablizers

manual steering box is leaking

brake lines at the master are toast

Window handles are part of inspection? Yeah, last time I checked not rolling my window down not only ruined the environment, but it made me crash my truck, making it unsafe for the road.

For YJ stabilizers, is that the shocks? Wow, how do they find all this stuff? And I seriously don't understand why they care. People need transportation, and alot of people need to do things their own way to get their transportation down the road.

I can understand brake lines and such for safety of other drivers, but a window handle? Just take the doors off when you go in for inspection, and duct tape a flashlight shining on your license plate.

You're getting hosed, bro. Although I can't say for certain what the safety inspection points are up there, from that list I can only see two things that would fail safety here in VA where I'm at....the brake lines and the rear plate illumination, and maybe the battery hold down. Do your shops have to post a list of the inspection points somewhere in the establishment that's viewable by the customers? If so, ask the shop owner to show you specifically where your shocks, window crank, and PS pump show up on the list.....failing that, find out who regulates the safety inspection shops in your jurisdiction and have a chat with them (in VA, they are regulated by the State Police). Sounds like someone's trying to make a few hundred $$$ in unneeded repairs to me.

Jeff

edit: I do know that in VA you have to have an operational DRIVERS side window (crank has to work if manual, motor has to work if power). It's an old dead-letter law on our books, and it's a throwback to the days when operators used hand signals out the window to indicate turns. Why it's still on the books.....I have no idea :nuts:

I got a list of what needed to be done, took it to my cousin, who is a licsened mechanic and he did a double check. Definately needs the work, the high price is 'cause of the per hour rate. its a good 3 days worth of work.

oh well, Ive tracked down a new bed for it, in the springtime I'm throwing the new bed on it, a new motor and repainting it with new decals for the bed.

Ive got a lot of plans, and getting it on the road is my first priority, nomatter what the cost it.

oh, I tracked down another SWB 4cyl MJ that I can basatrdize for parts. its got the automatic, its an 87 and acctually runs, no front shocks though, so its a hella rough ride.