How and why did you buy your MJ?

kyleag89

Always wanted one,especialy after finding out pretty much all my Xj parts would work with it. I stumbled across one that a kid and his girlfriend "co-owned" and all they did was beat this piss out of it. They advertised it as "Lifted offroad Comanche" Which in fact ment it had spacers in the front and 31's, and plenty of trail rash. I ended up picking it up for $300 since they said "It's no good for anything except offroad".

This Mj is now my DD, Oh ignorance!

I bought mine off E-bay 2 years ago. Guy was asking $2500 or make offer. I offered him $1500 and he accepted. 4 hour drive and I couldn't get any of my buddies with trailers to go ( everybody is busy when I need a favor! ) I mailed him a check, he mailed me the title, picked up historic tags and got one of my buds to ride along in my gr. cherokee. Dude wasnt even home, left the keys in the ignition. I took tools, a spare tire, all fluids. Truck had not been driven in awhile so after pumping up the tires and topping fluids, started the 4 hour trip home via the PA turnpike. Speedometer wasnt working so I called my bud who was following in my other Jeep and he said " Dude, your'e doing 75!" so I backed off. Made it home without incident. 2 years and about another $1500 later, I have my daily driver, my daughter got her license and kind of took over my grand. I have wanted a Comanche since I first saw ads for it in 1986, but marriage, kids, etc. always came first, so I waited, and now I have one. 1987 Laredo shortbed 4.0 auto 4x4. One of the first things I did was get rid of the vacuum motor on the front axle and install a posi-lock, works great. Mechanically I have it sound, now comes the body work, not my favorite thing. Hurray!! I finally got an avatar pic to load up, now if I could just figure out how to get pics to show in postings...4785539620_bde8ecd146.jpg

Met a friend of my wifes family. MJ was sitting abandoned behind a boat in his yard not in running condition. Asked about it thinking it was an XJ as I could only see a small part of the nose.

He told me what it was and that if I wanted it I could have it. He even helped me drag it out with his tractor and told me I could leave it in his driveway so I could use his shop and tools to fix it up. Later on he even found the 5 original turbine wheels it came with.

Turns out it did not start due to a corroded CPS connector!

Now it just needs new floors. (floors were the ONLY rust on this truck due to a hole in the roof from a strobe light)

I was in shock when he said i could have it and almost had a heart attack when I saw that the underside is still BLACK and clean with the exception of the drivers floor!

I was parting out Jeeps for extra cash before I started doing it for a living and Found a Silver MJ in Toronto for $400.00 and Brought it home to part out but the Girlfriend liked it and I decided to fix it up for her...

Then I was told about a pair of MJ's one Red and one Black in Waterdown and Picked up the pair for $400.00 and the Black one was in better body condition then the Silver so I parted out the Silver and Red ones and Fixed up the Black one for her but I ended up keeping it since having a truck was so nice to not have to use my CJ and trailer every time I need top go to the scrapper to unload some steel + she wanted it left stock and I had no interest in leaving it a 2WD low to the ground truck...

Back about 2000, I transfered from the machine shop to drafting. I was driving an '85 Ford Tempo. It was my DD and a beater. I had a '96 Ford Contour as my good car. The Tempo had some trans problem for the second time. The body was rusty, and I didn't want to put the money into it. I think I was looking for an early Ford Bronco, a Scrambler etc. Those were fetching a bit of money back then. I did test drive a '74 Bronco, but I thought the work needed to it was a bit much.

I was driving through a small town near me and spotted the Comanche. I took it for a test drive, and was surprised at the power it had. It did need some work. I paid $1400 and then had about $400 to $600 in suspension seal and general maintenace.

I put a header on it, as I broke the factory header, trying to replace the exhaust gasket. It drove fine for a couple of years. I used it during the construction of an addition onto my house. Even then I was planning on some upgrades and adding 4X4.

The Master clutch let go, and I replaced it. A few weeks latter the slave clutch went. I already had planned a NV 3550 swap. It was a bit tougher than planned. Then a '95 wiring swap, with the '03 block and '95 head.

Now its a '98 wiring swap, with '98 doors, fenders, interior etc. Dana 300 TC, 4.5 lift and some other stuff. Need to get back onto that build.

I have a '00 Ford Contour SVT and my good car. A MB 240D as my DD. I am hoping to get the Comanche back on the road for winter time.

Tom

15 years ago, one of my friend have a 1988 2wd red Comanche.

I did ask him to sell it me, but he did otherwise, I was still at school. :headpop:

After dreaming of a red pick-up truck all that time.

I bought my first MJ 1989 in 2008 and restore it.

Still love this little truck. :waving:

I stumbled across my '90 Comanche on the Pirate4x4 for sale forum. I wasn't looking to buy, just browsing. I came across a '90 Eliminator that caught my eye. Granted, I didn't really NEED another vehicle, but I've been a fan of the Comanches since I can remember and instantly contacted the seller to get some more info and pics. Once I got the pics and info, I had to have it! I live in Illinois and the seller was down in Tennesee. We agreed to meet in Fenton Missouri to make the deal. We met, I drove the truck around the parking lot, and I forked over the cash. The rest, as they say, is history.