'88 Comanche Olympic Edition

Hey guys, I just bought my first Comanche yesterday and I am excited to dive in. I had a few questions and concerns, but I will try an document my progress as best that I can. I'll post a few pics from the ad, and I will get more up tomorrow. I noticed that when driving up hill the truck seemed to get pretty hot. The truck made the 100 mile trip back home without overheating, but it had me worried the whole drive.

I did an oil change (there was a sticker saying it was due in 3k miles or 8/20/09)

I bought coolant to do a flush, but I didn't see a radiator cap, or even a petcock to drain the truck (I think I need some guidance in this area)

I changed the air filter, and found a water bottle with the PCV hose draining a little oil into it (nothing significant, but not OE).

The truck had a fiberglass cap (It had to go asap, and did).

The truck has a little rust on the bed, but none to be seen on the frame, brake lines, or engine bay.

The truck came with the original window sticker AND the addendum sticker as well. I have every record of maintenance since it was new, and the Olympic package was a legitimate package (It is also a Pioneer package)

I noticed that the fuel gauge is slightly larger than Texas and I would love some insight as to how to obtain a tachometer.

I hope I can make this entertaining for you guys, and if any of you are local, we should go wheeling soon!

I had the same question when i got my first MJ about the radiator cap. The bottle in the top left that looks to be an overflow bottle is pressurized, and the cap acts the same as one would on a radiator. Renix era motors use a closed cooling system.

For gauges, look for a cherokee from 87-90 with a 4.0 that has a full gauge cluster, they shouldn't be hard to find.

:cheers:

I'll be sure to do that, I also want to document everything I am going to do to her. I plan on making her a trail runner and daily driver. I have a Nissan 300zx TT that is my weekender, and frankly, the Comanche is an 80's honda compared to the Z. I hope to get pics up tonight of the cap off and such!

Welcome. I saw that MJ up on Craigslist and was going to take a look at it if it was still available later this month. Good to see it went to someone who appreciates what it is :)

My GF lives in Stevensville and I'm down there often. Whereabouts in MD are you from?

The truck is in Kingsville now, I am closing on my house in Parkville at the end of July. I am going to get it ready before then (hopefully). The cooling issue is bugging me, but that should be solved soon. The truck is really nice, I am going to make a few modifications, but she will be better from it.

My plans are:

33" tires

A suspension lift to accomidate the tires

bucket seats

patch the little bit of rust on the bed, and then either rhinoliner, or herculiner the interior of the bed

I plan on Herculining or rhinolining the floors inside the cab.

I think front and rear aussie lockers are in it's future as well.

I will get better pics of it tonight, the cap is going to be for sale if anyone is interested

Every time I see a window sticker, I'm reminded of why I didn't buy a Comanche when new. Seems like they were kind of high compared to the trucks I bought back then. But, I wish I knew what I knew now.

Sorry to nag but there might be someone out there who would like the topper. It took me months to find my fiberglass topper. If you still have access to it you can post it on classifieds. That is a great truck in great shape.

Thanks for saving the topper. The guy who sold me mine had it sitting under cover for over ten years, it was in great shape, just had to repaint it. After I got my truck painted I actually grew to like it without the topper better. Unfortunately I can't haul stuff here in central Florida without the topper because of the daily afternoon storms. The funny thing about the long bed toppers is that unless it was built for the jeep, it might be the right length and width but it doesn't look good because of the taller cab of the mj. Sorry I have a tendency to ramble. Also, I have my original sales receipt also, maybe they will be worth those prices again soon!